Thinking of buying a Dodge ? What if I were to tell you ......

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Yeah. There were two options and I didn't know which one it is. Either way, Tasca's prices are much cheaper and I have purchased from them before. I believe they are a vendor on SVTP too.
Tasca is cheaper but not that cheap. The price on the part in my screen shot is Dodge's list price and I get 30% off that, but Tasca probably isn't going to go that low on the part.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Couldn't write up a timing cover gasket? Would they really want that back? Just curious, did this years ago, but I would imagine that manufacturers have tightened things up in last 5-10 years.
I’ve had some really stupid parts get sent back to the manufacturer. They may not want it back. But, usually not worth the risk for the dealership.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve had some really stupid parts get sent back to the manufacturer. They may not want it back. But, usually not worth the risk for the dealership.

Ya there is no rhyme or reason to it. We did a heater box/evap case on a GT-350 and Ford just had me scrap it. While we did a rebuild on a 4R70W and they called back every clutch and steel and had me individually package each clutch and steel and make a UPS shipping label for each one.

SirShaun

Established Member
No lie, I read this yesterday at work, didn't think much of it, thought eh just a OEM supplier issue.

I'm almost home from my commute, my wife calls me, tells me the 2011 Durango with a Hemi is leaking something and smoking. I arrive and it had pissed what looked like all the coolant out. The "smoke" was just steam thankfully lol. I couldn't figure out where it was leaking from initially.

Limped it home running hot (220-225) gauge said. Got the air box pulled, started filling radiator, pouring out the weep hole behind the water pump pulley almost as fast as I was pouring it in. Water pump is shot.

My go to advance auto parts (love them coupons), out of stock anywhere near me. Auto zone said in stock, I have ordered, awaiting the notice to pick it up. Went with a duralast replacement. Almost concerned they are going to cancel the order though, if the availability is this scarce.

I'm not sure how old the current water pump is, as I recently got the Durango, but even if it's the first water pump, it seems premature at 106k miles. My First Dodge experience isn't starting off too well lol.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just got off the phone with dodge corporate. They are expediting a pump. They give me no eta at all just that they will keep me updated.

I’m losing faith in dodge.
I dont get how they can promise to expedite you a pump when there are hundred of people waiting in front of you. Dealers can make special requests for parts that makes them high priority but I dont think they can just bypass everyone in line. Curious to see how that will turn out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I dont get how they can promise to expedite you a pump when there are hundred of people waiting in front of you. Dealers can make special requests for parts that makes them high priority but I dont think they can just bypass everyone in line. Curious to see how that will turn out.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
No lie, I read this yesterday at work, didn't think much of it, thought eh just a OEM supplier issue.

I'm almost home from my commute, my wife calls me, tells me the 2011 Durango with a Hemi is leaking something and smoking. I arrive and it had pissed what looked like all the coolant out. I couldn't figure out where it was leaking from initially.

Limped it home running hot (220-225) gauge said. Got the air box pulled, started filling radiator, pouring out the weep hole behind the water pump pulley almost as fast as I was pouring it in. Water pump is shot.

My go to advance auto parts (love them coupons), out of stock anywhere near me. Auto zone said in stock, I have ordered, awaiting the notice to pick it up. Went with a duralast replacement. Almost concerned they are going to cancel the order though, if the availability is this scarce.

I'm not sure how old the current water pump is, as I recently got the Durango, but even if it's the first water pump, it seems premature at 106k miles.

The GTO's let go around 115K. AZ lifetime replacement died again around 134K.

pull from the assembly line.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

There are thousands in front of me and dodge is aware. They told me I’m going to the top of the list. Whoop. Whoop.

At this point I can’t even be bothered to give any ****s about this. I’ll just keep driving the ram and move on with my life. I’ve got shit to do.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

I'm almost home from my commute, my wife calls me, tells me the 2011 Durango with a Hemi is leaking something and smoking. I arrive and it had pissed what looked like all the coolant out. I couldn't figure out where it was leaking from initially.

I'm not sure how old the current water pump is, as I recently got the Durango, but even if it's the first water pump, it seems premature at 106k miles.

+1 on the coupons from Advance. I replaced my water pump earlier this year with one from there. So far so good, it has a lifetime warranty so it if/when it fails I'll snatch it off and swap it for another one.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I’m not a car car. I can’t fix the ****in thing.

Ok? I never touched that subject. I don't think you have to know how to work on a car to be a car guy. My dad is a mechanic so I was kinda forced to learn how to repair my own car. If you were closer I'd offer to help you fix it, its a pretty straight forward repair.

SirShaun

Established Member
+1 on the coupons from Advance. I replaced my water pump earlier this year with one from there. So far so good, it has a lifetime warranty so it if/when it fails I'll snatch it off and swap it for another one.
View attachment 1446384

Hard to beat the prices once you start throwing those coupons, and cash rewards at stuff. Only thing that has disappointed me thus far, was a re-manned alternator I got years ago. I think it worked for a week. After that, I started going to Napa for my alternators.

I will say though, the newer stuff for Ford and Dodge, White Bear Lake for Ford and Tasca for Dodge, compete price wise, considering OEM for peace of mind. If you can wait for shipping they are worth checking.

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
I’m not a car guy. I can’t fix the ****in thing.

Youtube is your friend. I'm going into the water pump replacement, already having seen it done by 2 different people, thanks to Youtube. Time is another thing, if you don't have the time, hell yeah pay someone else to fix it.

Now's the time to buy your first set of tools if you want to start wrenching. I caught a very nice 300+ some piece Kobalt tool set for around $100 last black friday. Weekend warrior, shade tree mechanic approved. Everything else just go to Harbor Freight, shit is super cheap, if it breaks, lifetime warranty, take it back to the store, they replace it on site.

You don't have to go in debt with Snap On for decent tools. Be on the lookout for a set sale, from Lowes (Kobalt) or Sears (Craftsman) for Black Friday / Father's Day. Also don't count out craigslist, you can score some already filled tool boxes for cheap.

My cheap ass tool box, mix of Kobalt/Harbor Freight tools do me just fine. I don't use them every day so they last.

Last edited:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Ok? I never touched that subject. I don't think you have to know how to work on a car to be a car guy. My dad is a mechanic so I was kinda forced to learn how to repair my own car. If you were closer I'd offer to help you fix it, its a pretty straight forward repair.

I appreciate the offer.
My issue is that the car and this part is under warranty. Why should I give dodge the easy way out and do it myself?

I’m driving a 2017 ram for free and my car is safe in their garage.

I wouldn’t even know where to start replacing a water pump and I’m not really interested in learning to tell you the truth.

If you read through this thread you will see that not being able to fix your own car means you are not a car guy.

Hello my name is Bruno and I’m not a car guy. I’m not ashamed and can own it.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
The water pump on my 2011 JGC with the 5.7 went out around 110k miles. Same exact symptoms as the one above described. Pulled it off and it was shot. I walked into local dealer and they had a ton of them on the shelf (which was my first clue this was an issue)...

Replaced in under two hours (including time to pull the old one) in the driveway...OP, you may not be mechanically inclined but it is a super easy job (although with a 2017 ram loaner for free I'd likely do exactly what you are doing at this point)...

Current 2014 JGC has 99k on it. I expect it to go sometime next year. I'm already starting to see coolant very, very slowly go down...

No doubt my Hellcat will do the exact same thing around 100k (but that's years down the road)...Thinking it might be slightly more of a PITA to do on the HC as opposed to the jeeps...

You would think by now they'd have figured out how to make one that wouldn't fail at 100k since it would appear to be a widespread issue...

My experience with Dodge dealerships has been pretty comparable to what everyone has described above....borderline incompetent....My experience with Ford dealers has been hit or miss (I'm gonna give dodge a 70.30 & Ford a 60/40)...

Only dealer service/repairs I have ever been completely satisfied with was when I owned an Infiniti....Dodge & Ford could both learn a thing or ten from the way those guys handle things...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I wouldn't **** with it either if its under warranty. I don't do shit to my Gen unless its mods, let them deal with it. My fusion though, just replaced VC gasket in my apt parking lot.

The only time though is a situation like this with such a cray wait (prior to you getting priority), id just take it to an independent shop or dodge-specific tuning/modding shop and have them do it with my own provided replacement part then wait 6mo making payments on a car you cant drive (unless you own it outright). I think id wait 1mo max and then take it elsewhere. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread