Thinking about getting a C5Z

7.62x51

Established Member
Oh, and I just found out the baby is a BOY!!

Nice! Congrats.

Now this thread has me thinking of getting an C5Z.

We got a kid on the way as well (our first) :beer:

C5Z's look awesome:
DSC_0297Z06red.jpg

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
You're gonna learn all about the corvette tax then. lol

Shouldn't be too bad engine wise I wouldn't think since it's basically a ls1. I'm gonna do all the labor myself. What's the weakest link for the c5z's? I got an auto insurance quote from USAA and it shows the z06 being $50 a month cheaper:shrug:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

neatofrito1618

Established Member
c5z outperforms the ls2 and ls3 vets in every aspect from what I've read. stock for stock. I don't wanna pay the extra $$$ for a ls3 vet and well I don't think I'll be hapy with a ls2 c6.
I was referencing the fact that C6's are more refined and in my opinion look better, maybe search for one that is built. Just my 2 pennies.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
How much are you looking on spending? I've seen C5Z's as low as 13k and as high as 45 as recently as last week.

I'll be buying one next yr when I get back but this is the best one I've found as far as mods/miles/price:

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 $25,000 - 100520446 | Custom Domestic Classifieds | Domestic Sales
Honestly, I'll probably pick up a salvage/rebuilt title one for 10-12k. Most I've seen seem to go for around 18-20k clean title.
I was referencing the fact that C6's are more refined and in my opinion look better, maybe search for one that is built. Just my 2 pennies.

The C6's do look dang good, but it's just not in the cards ATM.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The cheapest non salvage C6 with decent miles I found was at about 26.5 - on the other hand they are very NICE cars. Especially if you get the LS3. My buddy had an 08 C6 AT and he claimed to get 30 mpg on the highway (NO MODS)

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
The cheapest non salvage C6 with decent miles I found was at about 26.5 - on the other hand they are very NICE cars. Especially if you get the LS3. My buddy had an 08 C6 AT and he claimed to get 30 mpg on the highway (NO MODS)

Yea, I could get a salvage ls3 vet for about 18k... but I really don't want to spend that much right now. And when the c7 comes out the c6 prices will go down quite a bit I bet.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
After looking at Texas-Speed & Performance it looks like the cam and gasket kits are about the same as ls1 camaros/ta's. What do you think about TSP since your a vet owner?

I had a TSP 404 in my Z28... a few friends also had TSP motors and they all ran real strong. They have very high quality products. If I get another Cheby I WILL go with them again. Tick Performance out of NC also is a quality vendor/builder.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nate, it sounds like you're already sold on the C5Z. And it sounds like you have a pretty good plan already in place once you find the right one. I think if it is the car you want right now that you'll be very happy with it. I have loved every new vehicle I've ever bought, and I've never owned the same model twice. Sometimes change can be awesome. I wish you the best with your decision.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I had a TSP 404 in my Z28... a few friends also had TSP motors and they all ran real strong. They have very high quality products. If I get another Cheby I WILL go with them again. Tick Performance out of NC also is a quality vendor/builder.
Good to know. What made you sell that z28? I had a 99 ws6 before this cobra and rebuilt the top end of that car and it was a pita to work on that thing... 2 bent pushrods.
Nate, it sounds like you're already sold on the C5Z. And it sounds like you have a pretty good plan already in place once you find the right one. I think if it is the car you want right now that you'll be very happy with it. I have loved every new vehicle I've ever bought, and I've never owned the same model twice. Sometimes change can be awesome. I wish you the best with your decision.
I don't know if I'm 100% sold on the idea just yet... I don't wanna give up straight line performance. AHH decisions, decisions:??:

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
After looking at Texas-Speed & Performance it looks like the cam and gasket kits are about the same as ls1 camaros/ta's. What do you think about TSP since your a vet owner?

They're one of the bigger LSX shops out there. Anything corvette specific is more expensive. Boltons, drivedrain parts, suspension, etc. if it can also be used in a Fbody it won't be as much. lol

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
OP if you seriously shopping. my buddy is maybe selling his 03 z06 Lemans blue 50th aniv. teen miles. like 19K or something. has a cam, headers, borla catback, lowered on stock bolts and CCW classics. lmk if you want more details. car is super clean and perfect.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
OP if you seriously shopping. my buddy is maybe selling his 03 z06 Lemans blue 50th aniv. teen miles. like 19K or something. has a cam, headers, borla catback, lowered on stock bolts and CCW classics. lmk if you want more details. car is super clean and perfect.

I'm still in Afghaniland. That's a bit outa my price range, but thanks man.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
there really isnt much better of a car, bang for the buck then a C5z. I miss mine a lot.

heads,cam, full exhaust, 100 shot and youll have a very streetable 500whp car

So being both a C5Z and C6Z owner, do you prefer the C5Z more? If so, why?

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
So being both a C5Z and C6Z owner, do you prefer the C5Z more? If so, why?

both cars are great. they both have there plus and neg.

I miss the c5z.. a lot. it has that cockpit feel. you sit deep down in it. your right hand is higher then normal cars. the way it handled the road. you can powershift the hell out of it (with the right clutch) and it never missed gears.. I personally like the flip headlights.

negs. interior is weak plastic and could of been done a little better taste/materials.

C6z. more power, meaner front end. heads/cam/exhaust your making 500whp. better interior but still lacking something. better brakes, handles better.

neg. trans is a complete peice of shit.

no matter what direction you go. you cant go wrong. The only thing I would disagree with is Ls6>LS3. with my c5z being headers, intake, tune, clutch, shifter against my buddies same mods ls3. we were dead even up to 120mph.. then he would inch me out.. every single damn time.

I would go LS3 grand sport then down to a C5Z. then up to a C6Z if you have that kinda cash.

Users who are viewing this thread