Thinking about getting a C5Z

myblackgt

MPG LOL
Established Member
One of my good friends just bought a C5Z, while it is an awesome car, I dont think i would take it over my kb cobra. Plus i barely fit in it.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
If you plan on modding you can't go wrong with an 01. The differences between an 01 and 02+ are changes that will be mostly irrelevant as soon as you swap a cam into it with supporting mods. A few little differences in suspension and the active handling are probably not deal breakers for you but do exist.

Are you kidding me?:shrug: How can you forget about the different oil rings used in the 02 and up.

The difference between an 01 and an 02 is that one doesn't smoke all the time.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
If you looks hard enough you can find C5Z's and FRC's for that price range too. Why go for a base when you can have the top of the line?

NO - you are thinking of the Z51. The GS shares a just about everything with the Z06 except the engine. Come on man- I told you this already:bored:

I would take a C6 Z51 over a C6 GS. Reason: 1/4, Z51 is faster, 1 mile, Z51 is faster, top speed, Z51 is faster and handling, the GS is marginally quicker.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Are you kidding me?:shrug: How can you forget about the different oil rings used in the 02 and up.

The difference between an 01 and an 02 is that one doesn't smoke all the time.

Well I marginalized a lot of the little changes, the rings are not a major issue unless you happen to have the oil problem which not everyone had. My friends 01C5Z doesn't have any oil issues and my 01 drank oil... I also know people with the 02+ rings were still reporting the oil issues so I don't really view the 02 fix as noteworthy. :shrug: no more pup cats, hollow stem valves, different pistons, screenless MAF, tuning, different intake assembly, etc... I left a lot of stuff out really.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
I agree with the above except going to a C6 GS route. Complete waste of money IMHO, it's a regular LS3 with a dry sump, C6Z body and heavier breaking system. Increased weight and aerodynamic drag without increased HP; The end result is a slower but better handling C6.

The weak link is that GOD DAMNED Torque Tube and those rubber couplers!!

its all about give and take. its not always about who is the fastest in a straight line. I like the GS for its Z06 style and brakes and still get the targa top or vert. you want to go fast in a straight line. buy a base vet and mod the hell out of it. lol

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I agree with the above except going to a C6 GS route. Complete waste of money IMHO, it's a regular LS3 with a dry sump, C6Z body and heavier breaking system. Increased weight and aerodynamic drag without increased HP; The end result is a slower but better handling C6.

The weak link is that GOD DAMNED Torque Tube and those rubber couplers!!

Actually if you look at the link and stats I posted about the GS you can get an option that has 8 more hp from the factory. I know it's not much but more is more. Besides- unless you are keeping it stock that's a pointless argument anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread