Thinking about getting a C5Z

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
wait for a solid deal...dont get a salvage or rebuilt title car. Deals are out there. Especially on 01 385hp cars. There was a local Quicksilver 01 Z06 with 50k on it for $14k.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
If you plan on modding you can't go wrong with an 01. The differences between an 01 and 02+ are changes that will be mostly irrelevant as soon as you swap a cam into it with supporting mods. A few little differences in suspension and the active handling are probably not deal breakers for you but do exist.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
If you plan on modding you can't go wrong with an 01. The differences between an 01 and 02+ are changes that will be mostly irrelevant as soon as you swap a cam into it with supporting mods. A few little differences in suspension and the active handling are probably not deal breakers for you but do exist.

True. As long as the car has HUD lol.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Nate, I'm a former Cobra owner and currently own an '01 C5Z. If you've got some questions I'd be happy to talk to you. Also, the '01s did not have HUD since you mentioned that. BUT, it can be added.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Good to know. What made you sell that z28? I had a 99 ws6 before this cobra and rebuilt the top end of that car and it was a pita to work on that thing... 2 bent pushrods.

I got orders to Japan and I could only store one car in the states. Got rid of my Lightning, Z28, Excursion and Mach1 - kept the Audi for the road trip from NC to Portland where it's stored.

The one drawback about the motor was this. It had a REALLY high CR and it was built for nitrous - I was told by the PO and tuner I'd have to replace the valves and valve springs every 10k miles or so. On the other hand with a 275 shot the car ran a mid 9 in the qtr on a 29 in tire- so pick your poison. I'd imagine with a lower CR, a less radical tune and maybe a turbo/SC setup it would be more reliable. On the other hand running 10.7 on straight motor isn't too bad. (The ONLY car I lost to on the street was a 09 Viper) Had ALL supporting mods though so that helped. Probably should have gone with some aftermarket heads instead of P/P LS6's and a Fast 102 instead of a ported 92.... but that was a mod for IF I hadn't gotten deployed.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I got orders to Japan and I could only store one car in the states. Got rid of my Lightning, Z28, Excursion and Mach1 - kept the Audi for the road trip from NC to Portland where it's stored.

The one drawback about the motor was this. It had a REALLY high CR and it was built for nitrous - I was told by the PO and tuner I'd have to replace the valves and valve springs every 10k miles or so. On the other hand with a 275 shot the car ran a mid 9 in the qtr on a 29 in tire- so pick your poison. I'd imagine with a lower CR, a less radical tune and maybe a turbo/SC setup it would be more reliable. On the other hand running 10.7 on straight motor isn't too bad. (The ONLY car I lost to on the street was a 09 Viper) Had ALL supporting mods though so that helped. Probably should have gone with some aftermarket heads instead of P/P LS6's and a Fast 102 instead of a ported 92.... but that was a mod for IF I hadn't gotten deployed.
That's a pretty quick car. What do you plan on getting when you get back to the states?

What do you guys think about h/ci/i ls1 vs h/c/i ls6? Are there any real differences with both motors being modded equally?

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
That's a pretty quick car. What do you plan on getting when you get back to the states?

What do you guys think about h/ci/i ls1 vs h/c/i ls6? Are there any real differences with both motors being modded equally?

LS6 will usually make more power given equal mods.

LS6 has 10.5 CR
LS1 has 10.1 CR

Other differences are the LS6 block is usually considered to be a "little" better block but only onthe cooling and oiling side and only marginally. LS6s also got sodium filled valves, better webbing in block and a fw other small things. FWIW the avg stock vs stock LS1 vs LS6 dyno will have the LS6 making 50-60 more RWHP.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yeah the block is about the same save for bay to bay breathing windows and some very minor cast changes. I know people making low 600rwhp with a&a kits that haven't hurt the block (usually the internal parts (ringlands) that give out). Not sure I would worry about hurting the block at all to be honest until you have built internals and a lot of power going through it. It's said the ls1 block is stronger than the ls6 due to the bay to bay material that was removed (which is why they have more changes to strengthen the block elsewhere).

To expand on what was posted above the 243 heads bump compression and will go further than ls1 casts (I have 241s). Cam only the 243 heads are going to keep the ls6 ahead... (Since later ls1 cars came with ls6 intakes) Once the heads/cam are swapped there's no difference outside of the block differences. h/c/i ls1 = h/c/i ls6 as far as that goes.

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
LS6 will usually make more power given equal mods.

LS6 has 10.5 CR
LS1 has 10.1 CR

Other differences are the LS6 block is usually considered to be a "little" better block but only onthe cooling and oiling side and only marginally. LS6s also got sodium filled valves, better webbing in block and a fw other small things. FWIW the avg stock vs stock LS1 vs LS6 dyno will have the LS6 making 50-60 more RWHP.
Good info, thanks.:beer:
Yeah the block is about the same save for bay to bay breathing windows and some very minor cast changes. I know people making low 600rwhp with a&a kits that haven't hurt the block (usually the internal parts (ringlands) that give out). Not sure I would worry about hurting the block at all to be honest until you have built internals and a lot of power going through it. It's said the ls1 block is stronger than the ls6 due to the bay to bay material that was removed (which is why they have more changes to strengthen the block elsewhere).

To expand on what was posted above the 243 heads bump compression and will go further than ls1 casts (I have 241s). Cam only the 243 heads are going to keep the ls6 ahead... (Since later ls1 cars came with ls6 intakes) Once the heads/cam are swapped there's no difference outside of the block differences. h/c/i ls1 = h/c/i ls6 as far as that goes.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks :beer:

1stanglover

Ready to see tail lights?
Established Member
OP I would not buy a car like a vette with a branded title. These cars are to involved and fidly to take that risk. So many electrical components etc.

I would take a high mileage c5z thats clean, never wrecked etc. over a lower mileage salvage title 1.

just my 2 cents.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

I have it narrowed down to 5 vehicles and will likely get whatever is the best deal at the time.

1. C5Z
2. Terminator
3. 01-04 Lightning/F150 HD
4. CTSV
5. F250/Excursion Diesel 4X4

I'm leaning heavily towards the C5Z because it is fast out of the box, responds extremely well to mods, gets the best fuel economy out of the cars I'm looking at and is decent on insurance. I'll be living on the SE Coast of NC so I will be able to drive it pretty much year round.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
both cars are great. they both have there plus and neg.

I miss the c5z.. a lot. it has that cockpit feel. you sit deep down in it. your right hand is higher then normal cars. the way it handled the road. you can powershift the hell out of it (with the right clutch) and it never missed gears.. I personally like the flip headlights.

negs. interior is weak plastic and could of been done a little better taste/materials.

C6z. more power, meaner front end. heads/cam/exhaust your making 500whp. better interior but still lacking something. better brakes, handles better.

neg. trans is a complete peice of shit.

no matter what direction you go. you cant go wrong. The only thing I would disagree with is Ls6>LS3. with my c5z being headers, intake, tune, clutch, shifter against my buddies same mods ls3. we were dead even up to 120mph.. then he would inch me out.. every single damn time.

I would go LS3 grand sport then down to a C5Z. then up to a C6Z if you have that kinda cash.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GS was the WORST vette as it was no more power than the base but more weight and a higher price

BladeX10

Established Member
Am i the only one who thinks a base model C5 slammed with a cowl hood and tint with some good wheels looks godly? Put that with a HCI and the car would move pretty well. I'd rather go that route over a salvaged Z because salvaged corvettes never look or feel right and takes alot of damage to the electronics it seems. A decent base model 6 spd are going for 10-13k now.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Am i the only one who thinks a base model C5 slammed with a cowl hood and tint with some good wheels looks godly? Put that with a HCI and the car would move pretty well. I'd rather go that route over a salvaged Z because salvaged corvettes never look or feel right and takes alot of damage to the electronics it seems. A decent base model 6 spd are going for 10-13k now.

If you looks hard enough you can find C5Z's and FRC's for that price range too. Why go for a base when you can have the top of the line?

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GS was the WORST vette as it was no more power than the base but more weight and a higher price

NO - you are thinking of the Z51. The GS shares a just about everything with the Z06 except the engine. Come on man- I told you this already:bored:

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Actually I stand corrected - the GS REPLACES the Z51 pkg in earlier C6's. But here is the link to clarify your confusion on the GS being the worst model of Vette.

2010 Grand Sport Corvette

The new Grand Sport combines the Corvette’s LS3-based powertrain with wide-body styling, a wider track and a racing-bred suspension for a distinctive model that delivers a great balance of road and race track performance. It is offered with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The LS3 6.2L engine is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system. An optional two-mode exhaust system elevates the power ratings to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm).

The Grand Sport replaces the Corvette’s previous Z51 package and brings a greater degree of handling performance, with wider wheels and tires; revised shock, stabilizer bar and spring specifications; and specific gearing. A combination of 0-60 performance of four seconds, skid pad adhesion of 1 g and EPA-estimated 26 mpg on the highway makes it a very well-rounded sports car.

Grand Sport coupe models equipped with the manual transmission are uniquely outfitted for race track competition, too, with a dry-sump oiling system, differential cooler and a rear-mounted battery.

The complete list of content and special features for the Grand Sport includes:

Wider front and rear fenders – including specific front fenders with integrated Grand Sport badges
Z06-style front splitter and tall rear spoiler
Functional brake ducts and extra cooling
Unique 18-inch front and 19-inch rear wheels; painted finish standard and chrome finish optional
Large 275/35ZR18 tires in front and 325/30ZR19 tires in the rear
Z06-size brakes, including 14-inch (355 mm) front rotors with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers
Specific manual transmission gear ratios
Specific rear axle ratio on automatic-equipped models

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
A lightning/HD and a terminator/c5z? There's no way id get those trucks if i wanted a fast sports car.

c5z hands down. For a weekend toy, i will never get a auto again.

RSbeast

Established Member
Why a base over a Z06? Simple: options. Targa ftw period. I've driven c5s and z06; the z06 is fast out of the box and geared well. Its the easy way out if you like hardtops and stick. However they really lack the simple FUN of cruising with an open roof. Plus you can build an auto for drag or have the option of a vert. Want a softer ride? Get an f41 car. Get gauges withought the goofy checkered background. Maybe you don't like black guts? Maybe you hate mod red interiors?

Yes you don't get brake ducts; but you get foglamps instead of ugly mesh. The windshield won't be lighter, you won't get factory Ti exhaust and cool wheels or the notch look. But most people change everything anyhow except the notch end of things (which does look cool). Z06s actually retain the rear locking points for the targa under the skin and can be converted if you're. Willing to cut it.... much easier to swap heads/cam...and an ls6 intake is cheap and generally upgraded by a FAST.

I just can't believe more people don't build c5s...but I guess not everyone likes the same thing. Hell, I built the hardest car to extract power from that costs the most $. Guess who's selling for a c5? Cobra is easy HP but clumsy and heavy not a drivers car by any means...z06 is the easy way out option to jump camps. I suppose what I am getting at is don't be scared to actually have to BUILD your own hotrod. Its half the fun.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Why a base over a Z06? Simple: options. Targa ftw period. I've driven c5s and z06; the z06 is fast out of the box and geared well. Its the easy way out if you like hardtops and stick. However they really lack the simple FUN of cruising with an open roof. Plus you can build an auto for drag or have the option of a vert. Want a softer ride? Get an f41 car. Get gauges withought the goofy checkered background. Maybe you don't like black guts? Maybe you hate mod red interiors?

Yes you don't get brake ducts; but you get foglamps instead of ugly mesh. The windshield won't be lighter, you won't get factory Ti exhaust and cool wheels or the notch look. But most people change everything anyhow except the notch end of things (which does look cool). Z06s actually retain the rear locking points for the targa under the skin and can be converted if you're. Willing to cut it.... much easier to swap heads/cam...and an ls6 intake is cheap and generally upgraded by a FAST.

I just can't believe more people don't build c5s...but I guess not everyone likes the same thing. Hell, I built the hardest car to extract power from that costs the most $. Guess who's selling for a c5? Cobra is easy HP but clumsy and heavy not a drivers car by any means...z06 is the easy way out option to jump camps. I suppose what I am getting at is don't be scared to actually have to BUILD your own hotrod. Its half the fun.

There was member of CF forums that had a real good right-up on a DIY targa conversion for the C5Z, looked factory when he was finished...seems that thread was deleted though..

Picture020.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread