Thinking about getting a C5Z

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Been thinking about selling my cobra and getting a white/black C5Z when I get back from this deployment. I've done some research on them vs 03/04 cobras and c6 vets, and well it seems like they are still very respectable cars against their newer, more "refined" siblings. I have a kid on the way so that's why I'm leaning towards the c5z price wise. My car is paid off and I really don't want another car payment, and well I just feel like it's time for something different... hopefully I don't end up regretting it. From reading on some z06 and other corvette forums the major consensus was the c5z... yea shocking I know. Mods I would do to the c5z are cam/ported heads/intake/exhaust. I'd like to hear what some of ya'll think about the idea.:read:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
there really isnt much better of a car, bang for the buck then a C5z. I miss mine a lot.

heads,cam, full exhaust, 100 shot and youll have a very streetable 500whp car

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
I sold my Posi/nitrous Cobra and picked up a 2001 C5Z in white...haven't regretted it one bit!

-Eric

Fuerza

Established Member
If you have a kid on the way how are you going to transport your child? I've done the Cobra and baby thing, it's manageable, with a Vette forget it. I say keep the Cobra, at least it won't create animosity between you and the baby's mom.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Find one already modded and save yourself some $$$. Modded ones often for for stock pricing. Find one that was well taken care of and professionally built and don't look back. I wish I would have taken that route.

With no corners being cut and building my car the right way, I have close to $18k parts/labor into my H/C/I/n2o C5 Z. You can find ones similar to mine for mid 20's, and I paid $24.5k for mine stock.

smknvette

Established Member
I've had both and loved both. My Z was an 02 with 18k miles. Kept it a year and put 2000 miles on it. Was afraid somebody would scratch it or do something stupid to it. My cobra is an 04 and I've already put 2000 miles on it in 2 months lol. I don't really care that way about it. It's just a mustang lol. I really like it but would trade right now for the right color Z again. They are just dang expensive to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KILRSVT

Established Member
C5z is a great car there hard to beat IMO they have the best power to weight ratio everything about that car is so manageable a great sports car . I don't know if I can give up my cobra for one but if you decide to get one get the 03 or. 04 with the 405hp they have updated heads and cam more power also repairs and parts for them are a lot more expensive than cobras

Dadz500

Established Member
I didn't have a C5 but a C6 and I loved that car. My most favorite car I ever owned and miss it everyday but with my health problems I just had too much trouble getting in and out of it. My Wife has a 2012 C6 so i still get to drive it, but it's an auto so it takes some of the fun away. I don't think you can go wrong with this choice.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Dont forget that with White you have to get a 2001 Speedway White Car as 01 was the only year for White and also 385hp (02-04 was 405hp). Also that color is similar to something like Sonic Blue/ Mystic as they only built 352 Speedway White Z06s so they can bring a little bit extra money. 2001 cars also got Alcoa built factory Z06 wheels (forged). Later years were built by Speedline (spun cast). In extreme cases on slicks and/or heavy open tracking people have cracked the spun cast wheels.

04 Z16 optioned cars (comemorative edition cars) have factory carbon fiber hoods also and can get into the low 3k area prett easily.

Cars are fun but $$ to mod in some areas. They dont make any say pacesetter headers or anthing for $299 for them but its expected with the top of the line car for GM that year.

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I don't know man, that's a tough call. I still miss my '03 and wish I had never sold it. The cobras are just such tough, mod-friendly cars they're hard to beat.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Subbing. Kinda interested in the same move to a c5z. I think it would make a better track car.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
If you have a kid on the way how are you going to transport your child? I've done the Cobra and baby thing, it's manageable, with a Vette forget it. I say keep the Cobra, at least it won't create animosity between you and the baby's mom.
I'll have a daily.
Find one already modded and save yourself some $$$. Modded ones often for for stock pricing. Find one that was well taken care of and professionally built and don't look back. I wish I would have taken that route.
With no corners being cut and building my car the right way, I have close to $18k parts/labor into my H/C/I/n2o C5 Z. You can find ones similar to mine for mid 20's, and I paid $24.5k for mine stock.
I just can't trust buying a heavily modded car, and that takes away the fun for me. I wouldn't mind the car having headers or anything small, but the closer to stock the better IMO.
C6Z or bust
I wish
Dont forget that with White you have to get a 2001 Speedway White Car as 01 was the only year for White and also 385hp (02-04 was 405hp). Also that color is similar to something like Sonic Blue/ Mystic as they only built 352 Speedway White Z06s so they can bring a little bit extra money. 2001 cars also got Alcoa built factory Z06 wheels (forged). Later years were built by Speedline (spun cast). In extreme cases on slicks and/or heavy open tracking people have cracked the spun cast wheels.

04 Z16 optioned cars (comemorative edition cars) have factory carbon fiber hoods also and can get into the low 3k area prett easily.

Cars are fun but $$ to mod in some areas. They dont make any say pacesetter headers or anthing for $299 for them but its expected with the top of the line car for GM that year.
Dang, I didn't know that 01 was the only year for white and I'd really like an 02-04z... guess I'll have to just go with black or red. Thanks for the info!:beer:
and FWIW...a solid H/C/I/E setup with quality parts will make ~450rwhp in a low 3k lb car...i.e..its gonna rip.

:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread