Thinking about getting a C5Z

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
A lightning/HD and a terminator/c5z? There's no way id get those trucks if i wanted a fast sports car.

c5z hands down. For a weekend toy, i will never get a auto again.

Why a L or HD? Simple- its good for more than one thing. Is it "sportscar" fast-no but they are decently fast for trucks and are a good platform to build on. But you can tow and haul as well. The Z, which is a helluva car can only do one thing- go fast. Which is fine until you have to go to Lowes, Home Depot, or a furniture store. That's why I'm not ruling those trucks out.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Why a L or HD? Simple- its good for more than one thing. Is it "sportscar" fast-no but they are decently fast for trucks and are a good platform to build on. But you can tow and haul as well. The Z, which is a helluva car can only do one thing- go fast. Which is fine until you have to go to Lowes, Home Depot, or a furniture store. That's why I'm not ruling those trucks out.

You would be surprised with regard to the amount of shit you can fit into the back of FRC...but you are right, you ain't going to haul lumber in that muther...

Jroc

Established Member

This is why I much prefer my L to my old Terminator. My Cobra was a blast, and in a race my Cobra would tear my L a new one, but my L tows, hauls, is much more comfortable and easy to live with on a daily basis, plus for some reason my L just grips like a straight mofo. Front and rear. I see people talking about how their stock L's will spin tires for days well not mine it just plants and goes on a good dry surface. Even in a turn my L just bites the road really well. It doesn't feel like some nimble sport car or anything, but it just grips for some reason, and even plants power well in a turn. Maybe I just got a traction freak or something. :shrug:

You get a truck and start using it for truck duties and then try and replace it with something other than a truck and you will quickly start to miss it. A bed will spoil your ass.

I went and drove a new 2012 GT a while back, and they where going to give me a kick ass deal on one. Selling it for MSRP with 0% APR, giving me a shit load for a trade in on my L. Just all-in-all a really good deal on the car, and I really liked the car and was extremely impressed with it, but when I thought about it I said no I like my truck too much, and being able to use it to do work it's just really way more of what I need than a sporty new Muscle Car.

persianssvt918

Established Member
There are two clean title 02 z06 with 20-40k miles (can't remember) for $10k on Craigslist (had some damage tho)) one for $10 and I think the other is $11k..

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GS was the WORST vette as it was no more power than the base but more weight and a higher price

I tool price as a majot factor vs performance. A cam. Full exhaust. Intake is a quick ls3 vet. Z06 Style. Brakes. Targa top is what i like about the gs.

Personally i would only buy a z06. Or zr1. But that's just me. But the cost dif between gs. Z06 and zr1 are huge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Why anyone would bring up buying a nice c5z then say that it would probably be a salvage title one is beyond me. Why would anyone in their right mind by a salvaged vette??? Stick with a cobra then.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
There are two clean title 02 z06 with 20-40k miles (can't remember) for $10k on Craigslist (had some damage tho)) one for $10 and I think the other is $11k..
Send me links!@!! lol
Why a base over a Z06? Simple: options. Targa ftw period. I've driven c5s and z06; the z06 is fast out of the box and geared well. Its the easy way out if you like hardtops and stick. However they really lack the simple FUN of cruising with an open roof. Plus you can build an auto for drag or have the option of a vert. Want a softer ride? Get an f41 car. Get gauges withought the goofy checkered background. Maybe you don't like black guts? Maybe you hate mod red interiors?

Yes you don't get brake ducts; but you get foglamps instead of ugly mesh. The windshield won't be lighter, you won't get factory Ti exhaust and cool wheels or the notch look. But most people change everything anyhow except the notch end of things (which does look cool). Z06s actually retain the rear locking points for the targa under the skin and can be converted if you're. Willing to cut it.... much easier to swap heads/cam...and an ls6 intake is cheap and generally upgraded by a FAST.

I just can't believe more people don't build c5s...but I guess not everyone likes the same thing. Hell, I built the hardest car to extract power from that costs the most $. Guess who's selling for a c5? Cobra is easy HP but clumsy and heavy not a drivers car by any means...z06 is the easy way out option to jump camps. I suppose what I am getting at is don't be scared to actually have to BUILD your own hotrod. Its half the fun.
If I do get a z, it defiantly won't stay stock... for maybe a month TOPS.. That's why I would rather buy a stock car so I can have the fun "building" it myself and actually saying I built it, instead of bought it.:beer:
OP I would not buy a car like a vette with a branded title. These cars are to involved and fidly to take that risk. So many electrical components etc.

I would take a high mileage c5z thats clean, never wrecked etc. over a lower mileage salvage title 1.

just my 2 cents.
I've had really good luck with rebuilt title cars... as long as you check them out good, and there wasn't any serious damage then who cares? Why not save 40%?
Why anyone would bring up buying a nice c5z then say that it would probably be a salvage title one is beyond me. Why would anyone in their right mind by a salvaged vette??? Stick with a cobra then.
you've probably never owned a salvage/rebuilt car. Your just on the "branded title cars are the devil" bandwagon. Thanks for your input.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I have it narrowed down to 5 vehicles and will likely get whatever is the best deal at the time.

1. C5Z
2. Terminator
3. 01-04 Lightning/F150 HD
4. CTSV
5. F250/Excursion Diesel 4X4

I'm leaning heavily towards the C5Z because it is fast out of the box, responds extremely well to mods, gets the best fuel economy out of the cars I'm looking at and is decent on insurance. I'll be living on the SE Coast of NC so I will be able to drive it pretty much year round.

1,2, and 4 look like good choices to me. You could always just buy a beater truck for like 2-4k to do all your hauling and daily driving :shrug: Just a thought :beer:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
1,2, and 4 look like good choices to me. You could always just buy a beater truck for like 2-4k to do all your hauling and daily driving :shrug: Just a thought :beer:

That thought did occur to me.... until I found a 700rwhp+Turbo+built motor+built tranny+full suspension 01 L for 17k:rockon:

..... if only I can find the same or similar deal next year:burnout:

I tool price as a majot factor vs performance. A cam. Full exhaust. Intake is a quick ls3 vet. Z06 Style. Brakes. Targa top is what i like about the gs.

Personally i would only buy a z06. Or zr1. But that's just me. But the cost dif between gs. Z06 and zr1 are huge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If Nate is talking about a salvage price range for Vettes what makes you think he'd be looking at a C6Z or ZR1? Come on man:nonono:

Anyhow, Nate- if you are looking at TSP or other stroker motors already then you may as well look into a high mile C5Z or FRC. Unless you just GOTTA have a targa top or vert. Personally after having owned both the drawbacks to the vert or t-tops are more of a PITA than they are worth. With a full hard top you don't have to worry about leaking or easy theft...... just keep in mind- my TSP motor I got on discount after the customer decided to go a different way - it was just over $6k. Well worth it but a decently built motor ain't cheap. So you get an high mile FRC or C5Z for 10 or 11 k and then spend $6k on the motor, a few hundred on a clutch that will handle it, a Tick performance bleeder, master/slave, TOB kit around $500 (a must have IMO) a FAST 102/102 intake combo will run you $1200. And then you have to install tune etc....... THIS is why I try to buy a car that's already got some or most of the mods I am looking for. It's well worth spending the 20 or so k for a decent low mile already modded and tuned C5Z or FRC.

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
That thought did occur to me.... until I found a 700rwhp+Turbo+built motor+built tranny+full suspension 01 L for 17k:rockon:

..... if only I can find the same or similar deal next year:burnout:

If Nate is talking about a salvage price range for Vettes what makes you think he'd be looking at a C6Z or ZR1? Come on man:nonono:

Anyhow, Nate- if you are looking at TSP or other stroker motors already then you may as well look into a high mile C5Z or FRC. Unless you just GOTTA have a targa top or vert. Personally after having owned both the drawbacks to the vert or t-tops are more of a PITA than they are worth. With a full hard top you don't have to worry about leaking or easy theft...... just keep in mind- my TSP motor I got on discount after the customer decided to go a different way - it was just over $6k. Well worth it but a decently built motor ain't cheap. So you get an high mile FRC or C5Z for 10 or 11 k and then spend $6k on the motor, a few hundred on a clutch that will handle it, a Tick performance bleeder, master/slave, TOB kit around $500 (a must have IMO) a FAST 102/102 intake combo will run you $1200. And then you have to install tune etc....... THIS is why I try to buy a car that's already got some or most of the mods I am looking for. It's well worth spending the 20 or so k for a decent low mile already modded and tuned C5Z or FRC.

I was planning on getting a cam kit and supporting mods from TSP, but if I can find the right car with a hurt motor for cheap I would consider a TSP motor. A targa top would be cool to have, but I'm just as good as having a fixed roof for now. I wouldn't mind getting a car with SOME mods, but if it's already modded out, then that takes away a lot of the fun for me. Just gotta wait for the right deal :rockon:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I was planning on getting a cam kit and supporting mods from TSP, but if I can find the right car with a hurt motor for cheap I would consider a TSP motor. A targa top would be cool to have, but I'm just as good as having a fixed roof for now. I wouldn't mind getting a car with SOME mods, but if it's already modded out, then that takes away a lot of the fun for me. Just gotta wait for the right deal :rockon:

Best of both worlds - I bet you can get him down to $15k- not a bad deal either way!!:beer:

2001 Chevrolet Z06 corvette $18,000 - 100519606 | Custom Muscle Car Classifieds | Muscle Car Sales

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Find one already modded and save yourself some $$$. Modded ones often for for stock pricing. Find one that was well taken care of and professionally built and don't look back. I wish I would have taken that route.

With no corners being cut and building my car the right way, I have close to $18k parts/labor into my H/C/I/n2o C5 Z. You can find ones similar to mine for mid 20's, and I paid $24.5k for mine stock.

$18k in parts/labor for H/C/I pkg??? :shrug: I hope you have a built motor, if not, you were bent over with no vaso used.

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
C5z is a great car there hard to beat IMO they have the best power to weight ratio everything about that car is so manageable a great sports car . I don't know if I can give up my cobra for one but if you decide to get one get the 03 or. 04 with the 405hp they have updated heads and cam more power also repairs and parts for them are a lot more expensive than cobras

Updated heads?? :shrug: 01-04 all have the same 243 heads.

Only year C5Z I would avoid are the '01, which had oil ring/consumption issues.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
After looking at Texas-Speed & Performance it looks like the cam and gasket kits are about the same as ls1 camaros/ta's. What do you think about TSP since your a vet owner?

TSP is a great shop to deal with and has EXCELLENT customer service. :rockon::rockon:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
both cars are great. they both have there plus and neg.

I miss the c5z.. a lot. it has that cockpit feel. you sit deep down in it. your right hand is higher then normal cars. the way it handled the road. you can powershift the hell out of it (with the right clutch) and it never missed gears.. I personally like the flip headlights.

negs. interior is weak plastic and could of been done a little better taste/materials.

C6z. more power, meaner front end. heads/cam/exhaust your making 500whp. better interior but still lacking something. better brakes, handles better.

neg. trans is a complete peice of shit.

no matter what direction you go. you cant go wrong. The only thing I would disagree with is Ls6>LS3. with my c5z being headers, intake, tune, clutch, shifter against my buddies same mods ls3. we were dead even up to 120mph.. then he would inch me out.. every single damn time.

I would go LS3 grand sport then down to a C5Z. then up to a C6Z if you have that kinda cash.

I agree with the above except going to a C6 GS route. Complete waste of money IMHO, it's a regular LS3 with a dry sump, C6Z body and heavier breaking system. Increased weight and aerodynamic drag without increased HP; The end result is a slower but better handling C6.

The weak link is that GOD DAMNED Torque Tube and those rubber couplers!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread