There is No reason to Buy an F150 EV OR Ecoboost.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone who says boosted motors are overworked and less reliable have never been in the trucking industry.

Big trucks routinely go 1m miles without any major overhaul.

The RPM is what kills a motor. Diesels last so long because they turn LOW RPM relative to gas motors.

If tuned properly, boost almost doesn't even matter when being worked.

The big truck engines and trans are designed that way. Commercial equipment is designed very different than consumer grade stuff.

It's relatively straight forward to design for high torque low rpm or high HP high rpm. Both can be designed to last their intended duty cycle. Optimizing efficiency and cost for the application is the challenge, and why big trucks get the Diesel cycle and race cars use the Otto cycle.

andymarkv

Established Member
Yep, gonna have to agree with Tezz on this one.
I had the option of 3.5 or 5.0 when I bought my truck in '18.
I keep my stuff a LONG time...so the thought of driving a vacuum cleaner with stock exhaust, or UPS truck with aftermarket exhaust for the next 10-15 years..? 5.0 all the way!
I ruin my MPG's by buying trucks with the deepest optional gear and immediately adding level/lift kits and MT tires...so that wasn't even in the equation.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
IMG_3243.jpeg
My 2.7 is/was free including gas card so don’t come at me. Lol This was last May driving from Oak Creek, WI to Cincinnati. I also just did a 4.5-hour drive with 3/4 bed of firewood and got 26.2. Keep in mind I have some version of one of my performance tunes on it in both examples so that probably skews it a bit one way or another.

Regarding the HD discussion, our X15s typically go 900k-1 million miles before a liner drops. It’s almost predictable. Some go sooner, but I have yet to see one go north of a million before needing in-frame. They’re also on a middle of the road “tune” that leans towards fuel economy and limited to 70mph so that could help a bit with longevity as long as the trans isn’t set to performance. Ya know, mostly automatics in fleets nowadays.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This thread makes me want to find an old Ford LTL 9000 and swap a C18 Cat into it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Water aftercooled vs air makes a huge difference.

That, and the raw water cooled heat exchanger for the engine coolant. You can run that thing right off the top all day long without issue.

Based on my findings in this thread, I'm no longer looking for a coyote mustang.... I'm going ECOBOOST.

I enjoyed mine while I had it, but I don't see myself buying another.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
How you look to the rest of the F-1Fiddy community when you defend and brag about your ecoturd…
I think you're butt hurt over the name. Ecoboost...it does sound terrible. But, it's just another engine with turbos that puts out more power and torque than yours. I think that is what this is all about. It's about power and torque isn't it. ;)

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I think you're butt hurt over the name. Ecoboost...it does sound terrible. But, it's just another engine with turbos that puts out more power and torque than yours. I think that is what this is all about. It's about power and torque isn't it. ;)

I’m butt hurt that ford had the audacity to put a V6 engine the size of a soda bottle in an Fseries.

kanye-west-damn-shame-oafiptrouw41biit.gif

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I’m butt hurt that ford had the audacity to put a V6 engine the size of a soda bottle in an Fseries.
But why didn't it work? Unless you have a blower on your 5.0.....you missed the bus. Enjoy that sound though ;)

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
all jokes aside…

I had a 2019 2.7. It was meh.
I enjoy this 2022 5.0L WAY more.

Also, butt dyno says this truck is faster than that 2.7L.
Yeah I had an 13 and 18 2.7 and if you are not towing that is said to be the recommendation all things considered. Like I said though I would go back to a 5.0 if I changed it up. I think my needs are simplicity the older I get. Maybe I'll find a good used Raptor R oneday and have the best of both worlds.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Track results:
2021 F150 2.7 4x4 Supercrew - intake, intercooler, 93 tune = 13.2
2020 F150 5.0 4x4 Supercrew - intake, catback, 93 tune = 13.5
2020 F150 5.0 4x4 Supercrew - intake, catback, E85 tune = 12.8

Been wanting to go back to the track on E30 and E50 to see what my truck runs. I don't think it can run E85 without a larger HPFP or larger injectors. Dont know about the low pressure pump in the tank.

Id hope for 12.50's on E50 if it doesnt wheelhop itself to death off the line.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Track results:
2021 F150 2.7 4x4 Supercrew - intake, intercooler, 93 tune = 13.2
2020 F150 5.0 4x4 Supercrew - intake, catback, 93 tune = 13.5
2020 F150 5.0 4x4 Supercrew - intake, catback, E85 tune = 12.8

Been wanting to go back to the track on E30 and E50 to see what my truck runs. I don't think it can run E85 without a larger HPFP or larger injectors. Dont know about the low pressure pump in the tank.

Id hope for 12.50's on E50 if it doesnt wheelhop itself to death off the line.
Do you launch in 4x4?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread