There is No reason to Buy an F150 EV OR Ecoboost.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The mpg between the EB and 5.0 are practically identical. But when you start towing/hauling heavy stuff, the down low torque from the EB is downright diesel like. To each their own, both are good motors.

As far as sounding bad, you just need the right exhaust on an EB. Some of them sound hideous. Almost as bad as some of the 5.0 brappy cackling 5.0 muffler setups out there.

As always, your results may vary.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL at people thinking an engine huffing down 15psi of boost is "less stressed" than a larger NA motor with a bit more rpm.

I was checking out the boost gauge when I was towing and it rarely got about maybe 8lbs. The majority of the time it was barely even reading.

You can say the boost is stressing the 3.5 and I can argue the RPMs required for the Coyote to do the same work are added stress.

I will take a setup that the vehicle doesn’t go gear searching over one that does. It would seem to me that the smoothness alone is more ideal.

But hey, open the hangar door for the airplane. Vvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrooooooooosssssssshhhhhhh

A coat hanger can bring out the kid in you.

01yellercobra

Established Member
After my Expedition was totalled I borrowed a buddies F150 to move my boat to its parking spot. That required going up a decent hill. I think it was the last year before the aluminum bodies came out. It did ok, but needed to be at about 4k RPM to make it up the hill comfortably. Because of that I ended up going the same route as @BlckBox04.

I know @Black Gold 380R loves how his eco tows.

Attachments

• 20220723_144633.jpg
    20220723_144633.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 59

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
6 pages deep and your Ecoboost F1fiddy is still….

giphy.gif

I’ll take lesbian due to all the vag I like to eat. Hell, Subaru may want to sponsor me.

Again, I like how quiet it is. The Raptor sounds like worn out booty hole. We are thinking about a Camry for wife’s DD duties and if that happens I may look at a F250. But it would be hard to persuade myself to buy one, get into that payment, to tow less than 5500lbs a few times a year when the F150 does it without issue.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After my Expedition was totalled I borrowed a buddies F150 to move my boat to its parking spot. That required going up a decent hill. I think it was the last year before the aluminum bodies came out. It did ok, but needed to be at about 4k RPM to make it up the hill comfortably. Because of that I ended up going the same route as @BlckBox04.

Hey Bob,

Yes, my wife's F-150 has the towing package on it. When I tow my cars on the open trailer (similar to the one in the picture you posted) from El Paso to San Diego I have no issues at all and going through the mountains in CA is no problem. It's GREAT!

However, last year, when I took my 65 in the enclosed 20FT trailer it was a little hairy. It was like towing a giant boat anchor. When semis drove past me the wind would push the truck and trailer to the side and I had to man handle the steering wheel to keep straight. Even my wife was nervous riding in the passenger seat LOL. Also, with the enclosed trailer the gas mileage was CRAP LOL!!!

So, I think my wife's eco boost F-150 is great with an open trailer, but I think I need more power/stability when towing an enclosed trailer.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was checking out the boost gauge when I was towing and it rarely got about maybe 8lbs. The majority of the time it was barely even reading.

You can say the boost is stressing the 3.5 and I can argue the RPMs required for the Coyote to do the same work are added stress.

I will take a setup that the vehicle doesn’t go gear searching over one that does. It would seem to me that the smoothness alone is more ideal.

But hey, open the hangar door for the airplane. Vvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrooooooooosssssssshhhhhhh

ethey seem to recommend locking out a gear or two if it's making much boost for long when towing. Apparently a little more engine rpm is more fuel efficient than being in boost

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
And/or add oil from time to time. Usually do mine in the 5-6k range, even in the 8k range blackstone tests showed oil was still good on the 3.0's.

Oil consumption has been one of the big things tho on these engines, usually need about half a quart in the 2k range, been that way since I bought it new.

You can thank modern low-tension piston rings for that. Without some load on them they let a lot of oil get by. The more you let an EB idle, the more oil it will eat. Ever seen an EB with no cats just sitting around idling? I have a charcoal Weber grill that smokes less than one of those.

The mpg between the EB and 5.0 are practically identical. But when you start towing/hauling heavy stuff, the down low torque from the EB is downright diesel like. To each their own, both are good motors.

As far as sounding bad, you just need the right exhaust on an EB. Some of them sound hideous. Almost as bad as some of the 5.0 brappy cackling 5.0 muffler setups out there.

As always, your results may vary.

The combination of boost and high compression is tough to beat for towing confidence. It does come at a price though.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

No way I was buying anything smaller than a 250 or a 2500

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Anyone who says boosted motors are overworked and less reliable have never been in the trucking industry.

Big trucks routinely go 1m miles without any major overhaul.

The RPM is what kills a motor. Diesels last so long because they turn LOW RPM relative to gas motors.

If tuned properly, boost almost doesn't even matter when being worked.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone who says boosted motors are overworked and less reliable have never been in the trucking industry.

The RPM is what kills a motor. Diesels last so long because they turn LOW RPM relative to gas motors.

Knock on wood I have a 97 Peterbilt with a Cat motor that's turned up 150hp and 858,000 miles on it, original motor and runs better than my brand new emission bullshit trucks

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

even 8 psi is nothing to sneeze at. At that boost level the engine is using about 1.6X the amount of air and fuel than would be possible NA. More fuel and air at the same volume gives higher combustion temps and a heck of alot more cylinder pressure. It may feel like a sunday drive but its far from it.

Its much less stressful to use gear reduction to pull a heavy load on an engine vs just using more power. Theres why most all heavy trucks are underpowered and use more gear instead

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

True story Dom. I drove a 84 Freightliner with a turned up 400 Cummins that I put 1M miles on. They did minor it at 500K.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

A giant 15L inline 6 thats tuned for only 450hp of course is not going to be stressed. LOL

detune an ecoboost to the equivalent power density or brake mean effective pressure and you maybe get 90hp in order to meet the durability requirements of industrial applications.

ever wonder why the 3.5L ecoboost was never offered as the base engine for super duty? Since it has less rpm than the 6.2L under load it should be "less stressed" right? Theres a reason for this

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
even 8 psi is nothing to sneeze at. At that boost level the engine is using about 1.6X the amount of air and fuel than would be possible NA. More fuel and air at the same volume gives higher combustion temps and a heck of alot more cylinder pressure. It may feel like a sunday drive but its far from it.

Its much less stressful to use gear reduction to pull a heavy load on an engine vs just using more power. Theres why most all heavy trucks are underpowered and use more gear instead

True! It's the reason all big truck manufacturers have gone N/A in their new engine designs.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A giant 15L inline 6 thats tuned for only 450hp of course is not going to be stressed. LOL

detune an ecoboost to the equivalent power density or brake mean effective pressure and you maybe get 90hp in order to meet the durability requirements of industrial applications.

ever wonder why the 3.5L ecoboost was never offered as the base engine for super duty? Since it has less rpm than the 6.2L under load it should be "less stressed" right? Theres a reason for this

15L, lmao bro stop reading Facebook longhaul forums. Youre talking out of your ass and it's obvious you have 0 expertise in the HD truck industry -- which is fine, but stop acting like the expert you aren't.

Maybe 10 years ago I worked for a company that had ~100 daycab local P&D trucks that all ran 6.7L cummins engines. Drivers worked THE SHIT out of those trucks, routinely pulling 40k loads to and from the facility. Centric brake parts was one of our larger customers. Those trucks never broke a sweat and were dead nuts reliable.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I do mine at 5K, and I've never needed to add any. It's the 2.7.
In the early years I believe, Ford said it was "normal" for blue smoke to come out of the tailpipe during start up and needing 1qt every 1,500~ miles.

You can thank modern low-tension piston rings for that. Without some load on them they let a lot of oil get by. The more you let an EB idle, the more oil it will eat. Ever seen an EB with no cats just sitting around idling? I have a charcoal Weber grill that smokes less than one of those.
Something new I learned. Makes sense with all the stop and go traffic I run into in my case and remote starts I use, LA city driving FTW

Another upside with boost, high altitude areas.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
ironic we're talking about this. my FIL just had his 2024 F150 platinum eco boost bought back from the dealer on the authority of Ford because his diff exploded and they gave him a brand new truck, no questions asked. I think he had 2k miles on his.

Users who are viewing this thread