There is No reason to Buy an F150 EV OR Ecoboost.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
OP is a transplant.
true-its-true.gif

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was sold on the fact that an ecoboost can tow 11k from the factory. But i didnt get the right option on my truck. I got the truck with the heavy duty tow package, however it was the MAX TOW package that could tow 11k pounds. The ecoboost 3.5TT motor does make towing trailers much easier. i think my truck can tow 9k.
meh, while the max tow will tow more most of that is horse shit anyway. You'll have to hire a piss ant to drive it with a max of 5 gallons of gas in the tank because your payload will be gone
OP is a transplant.

better than being a planter

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
The 5.0 and 3.5 will tow pretty close to the same amount. The difference is that no matter what you are towing, the 3.5 seems less stressed out.

I had a work trip to SLC right after I bought mine and got a F150 XLT SCrew 5.0 as a rental. It had 3.73s and 4wd. Definitely less optioned than mine which means lighter. Every hill it seemed like it gear hunted, now this was the 6R80. Even towing 5500lbs, the 3.5 did better and just held gears.

I am putting a Gen 1 F150 Coyote in my GT. With a few modifications. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
We had a fleet (@12) F150 3.5Ebs for our K-9 unit. Pretty much running all damn day and under heavy load regularly.

Not one of us had any issues or the regular TSBs I see which really surprised me. We’d run them to about 100k miles.

We all took care of them as they were our assigned rides but they def got put to the test.

I’m in a 5.0 F150 now and I’d take the EB any day. Way quicker during pursuits. Did much better off-road in sand. Even cruising on the freeway was easier when you went to pass someone. It’s the torque from the turbskis.

Sorry James

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Can confirm, buddy just got done with a trip to Montana. 3.5 EB tuned exhaust, intake. Towed 20' enclosed with moving stuff 9mpg. Same as my 8.1 or 454. Seems like all the EB was made to do is get you around town using less fuel. Which is fine, but under a towing load, we all have shitty mileage. If you use your F150 for just DD, sure it gets decent mileage.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
The 5.0 and 3.5 will tow pretty close to the same amount. The difference is that no matter what you are towing, the 3.5 seems less stressed out.

I had a work trip to SLC right after I bought mine and got a F150 XLT SCrew 5.0 as a rental. It had 3.73s and 4wd. Definitely less optioned than mine which means lighter. Every hill it seemed like it gear hunted, now this was the 6R80. Even towing 5500lbs, the 3.5 did better and just held gears.

I am putting a Gen 1 F150 Coyote in my GT. With a few modifications. Lol

LOL at people thinking an engine huffing down 15psi of boost is "less stressed" than a larger NA motor with a bit more rpm.

dan1982

Established Member
LOL at people thinking an engine huffing down 15psi of boost is "less stressed" than a larger NA motor with a bit more rpm.
it really is incredible.. i agree... but dont be a "douche" and say anything. Trust me, its not worth it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
the Yotes have had their issues over the years too, I'll be interested to see how this new displacement on demand plays out...seems all the other OEs have had issues from it. That and the oil pump BELT

I'm on the fence about the next truck - some of the trim levels the ecoboost is the only option. Long term the 5.0 obviously has less crap to deal with like the turbo cooling lines. I think if I bought a 5.0 next time it would be because I intend to throw a blower on top.

The are several design features of the Gen 4 Coyote that scare me.

All Ecoboost engines sound like crap with exhaust, ill never put an exhaust on ours. Still love my 20' Explorer lol

I also don't think 5.0's sound that great, good yes, not great. Out of the big 3, its the least good sounding V8

Raptor R has the best sounding factory exhaust I've heard on any Ford.

Reminds me of my old 6.4 PSD. If I had it wound up to 75mph it did not matter how steep the grade was or how much weight was behind it, that thing was never losing speed or shifting out of OD. It would just eat 40#s of boost and roll, all while keeping reasonable EGTs.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Reminds me of my old 6.4 PSD. If I had it wound up to 75mph it did not matter how steep the grade was or how much weight was behind it, that thing was never losing speed or shifting out of OD. It would just eat 40#s of boost and roll, all while keeping reasonable EGTs
I think I read somewhere that the 2.7 is built like a diesel, strength wise.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think I read somewhere that the 2.7 is built like a diesel, strength wise.

Exactly the opposite is what I was told. The 3.5s are more robust, but not the last motors in the SHOs.

it has a compacted graphite iron block like the 6.7 IIRC

They are both very heavily built for their relatively small size. The 2.7L CGI block is very nice, and it's 3.0L sibling has proven to be capable of making silly power in an Explorer ST.

As with any EcoBoost, change your oil often. I think a lot of modern cam phaser problems (Coyotes have them too) stem from lack of maintenance. I'm changing the oil on my Braptor ever 2,500 miles because it gets worked, and multiples of 25 are easy to remember.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
They are both very heavily built for their relatively small size. The 2.7L CGI block is very nice, and it's 3.0L sibling has proven to be capable of making silly power in an Explorer ST.

As with any EcoBoost, change your oil often. I think a lot of modern cam phaser problems (Coyotes have them too) stem from lack of maintenance. I'm changing the oil on my Braptor ever 2,500 miles because it gets worked, and multiples of 25 are easy to remember.
And/or add oil from time to time. Usually do mine in the 5-6k range, even in the 8k range blackstone tests showed oil was still good on the 3.0's.

Oil consumption has been one of the big things tho on these engines, usually need about half a quart in the 2k range, been that way since I bought it new.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
And/or add oil from time to time. Usually do mine in the 5-6k range, even in the 8k range blackstone tests showed oil was still good on the 3.0's.

Oil consumption has been one of the big things tho on these engines, usually need about half a quart in the 2k range, been that way since I bought it new.
I do mine at 5K, and I've never needed to add any. It's the 2.7.

Users who are viewing this thread