The HARD TRUTH about EVs

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to figure out the cable thickness that would allow safe charging of an EV in the following scenario, since they keep claiming 5-minute charging is just around the corner.

Tesla with 100Kwh battery going from 20 to 80% charge, since they all slow down after 80% to protect the battery. So that means the cable has to safely and repeatedly transfer 60 Kwh in 5 minutes to the car. I tried computing the copper thickness required and didn't seem to make sense. It would have to be 1000w+/150a ish?

Electricians?
This is the cable that is used, you can see the specs page here.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Less than 2 inches, impressive.
TWSS.gif

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out the cable thickness that would allow safe charging of an EV in the following scenario, since they keep claiming 5-minute charging is just around the corner.

Tesla with 100Kwh battery going from 20 to 80% charge, since they all slow down after 80% to protect the battery. So that means the cable has to safely and repeatedly transfer 60 Kwh in 5 minutes to the car. I tried computing the copper thickness required and didn't seem to make sense. It would have to be 1000w+/150a ish?

Electricians?
The faster charging in the future will likely do so with higher voltage which means cable size does not need to increase

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
This is actually a big knock against my wifes G70, way too connected with their app.
Chevy has agreed to stop selling/sharing data with LexisNexis and Verisk effective March 22nd. Many are concerned because the cars data log "acceleration, hard braking, and high speed events. It's only a matter of time before this info gets shared with the insurance companies. There are still many of us who will disconnect/block one of the transmission antennas in the C8. I plan on doing that this week when I take the car out of storage....

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Chevy has agreed to stop selling/sharing data with LexisNexis and Verisk effective March 22nd. Many are concerned because the cars data log "acceleration, hard braking, and high speed events. It's only a matter of time before this info gets shared with the insurance companies. There are still many of us who will disconnect/block one of the transmission antennas in the C8. I plan on doing that this week when I take the car out of storage....

Didn't take long for youtube video's on disconnecting telematics on GM vehicles to start showing up after that story broke.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Can you say throttled?

Better grid management
While today's grid impact from EV charging infrastructure is modest, demands could change rapidly. Utilities can reduce grid impact by counting on integrated software embedded in the EVs and charging locations. Integrated software allows utilities to have remote monitoring and control of the EV chargers. Operators can then aggregate and shift EV loads to balance the grid. In addition to home charging, utilities can manage the power needs of the increasing number of public, corridor and fleet charging sites on the multi-megawatt scale.
https://www.pwc.com/us/en/industries...structure.html

Fat Boss

Established Member
Close LOL, no guarantee's about parts supplies!

Desperate Fisker Drops Ocean Base Price to $24,999 in an Attempt to Survive​

The Ocean is now something it was never intended to be: The cheapest EV in America.​

Fisker Ocean

It's not just the base model getting a tempting price tag. Fisker cut the range-topping Ocean Extreme nearly in half, dropping $24,000 from the sticker. It now starts at $37,499 (down from $61,499) and that gets you a dual-motor SUV with 564 horsepower in Boost Mode and a 0-60 mph time under 4 seconds.

Might be a good lease option for someone out there. If they go belly-up, maybe you can stop paying and just keep it until it breaks.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Are you telling me we need tinfoil hats for our vehicles now?

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't this been a thing for a few years now?
Sure, but most of you believed what the salesman said. It's just to update the software in the info-entertainment systems! Keeping you up to date on the newest "advancements" from GM, Ford, and every other manufacturer.

Oh, ok! I'll take it!

I'm not singling you personally, just in general with new car buyers. Now it comes out.

kaz109

Established Member
Close LOL, no guarantee's about parts supplies!

Desperate Fisker Drops Ocean Base Price to $24,999 in an Attempt to Survive​

The Ocean is now something it was never intended to be: The cheapest EV in America.​

Fisker Ocean

It's not just the base model getting a tempting price tag. Fisker cut the range-topping Ocean Extreme nearly in half, dropping $24,000 from the sticker. It now starts at $37,499 (down from $61,499) and that gets you a dual-motor SUV with 564 horsepower in Boost Mode and a 0-60 mph time under 4 seconds.

Well this turned out to be a complete lie

blk02edge

Established Member
Sure, but most of you believed what the salesman said. It's just to update the software in the info-entertainment systems! Keeping you up to date on the newest "advancements" from GM, Ford, and every other manufacturer.

Oh, ok! I'll take it!

I'm not singling you personally, just in general with new car buyers. Now it comes out.
My newest vehicle is a 2015 so I think I'm good...

Users who are viewing this thread