THE FUTURE COLLECTIBILITY AND VALUE OF OUR 2013/2014 SHELBY GT500s...

Gabed1972

Established Member
of course it is all speculation and no one can predict the future, but I would say the 13/14 Shelby gt500's are definitely going to be the most desireable of all the s197 chassis. the top of the line trim/horsepower package for any change in bodystyle/chassis usually is.

as jay leno says regarding future collectability... buy a car that you personally love. that way if it appreciates great, but if it doesn't, at least you still have a car that you love and love to drive.

We'll said :beer:

jbs$

Established Member
And, should you have one of these cars in your estate, just think of all of the scheming heirs fight each other to get their grubby hands on it. Just the thought will give you the giggles.

featurecar50

Established Member
Very nice and detailed write up, the Shelbys will be collectible, depends on the economy and whats going on in 10-15 years from now as to how collectible they will be. I have been collectiing for 20+ years, have lost some money and made some money. There will always be car collectors out there, the 13-14s Shelbys will be in the top modern collectible American muscle car. The Shelbys that will be gain the most profit will be the ultra low mile examples that are still in the wrapper, because of the rarity convertibles may fetch a little more.

Terry

USV8PWR

Established Member
And, should you have one of these cars in your estate, just think of all of the scheming heirs fight each other to get their grubby hands on it. Just the thought will give you the giggles.

I do imagine there will lots of family feuds occuring right after a 13/14 Shelby's funeral. Just hopefully they didn't go out with their car!!

Very nice and detailed write up, the Shelbys will be collectible, depends on the economy and whats going on in 10-15 years from now as to how collectible they will be. I have been collectiing for 20+ years, have lost some money and made some money. There will always be car collectors out there, the 13-14s Shelbys will be in the top modern collectible American muscle car. The Shelbys that will be gain the most profit will be the ultra low mile examples that are still in the wrapper, because of the rarity convertibles may fetch a little more.

Terry

Thank you Sir. To me it seems the writing is on the wall, but time will tell. I agree that the lower mile ones will be worth more. BUT, even more importantly is the unmolested/unmodded ones which will be very, very rare. In 2007 to 2009 many Shelby GT500s and Shelby GT500 KRs were bought and put away with investors assuming the car would only be out a year or so. However, after several more years of production with each year the car getting better and more powerful many wannabe investors got discouraged, cut their losses, and went elsewhere. Now it seems that very, very few buy these cars to be put away, thinking they'll just keep getting better and more powerful so what is the point. Well the point is the 13/14 cars are the end of an era and likely never to be exceeded power wise. Additionally, now the majority of them (even if driven very rarely) are quickly modded. While I believe minor mods that can be changed back don't matter a whole lot, I am AMAZED at the amount of orginial parts that are removed from the 13/14 cars and sold here on the forum and on Ebay all the time. To find an unmodded, low mileage, all original part 13/14 Shelby in 10 to 15 years will be an extreme rarity.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
What makes you believe Ford will not continue to use this motor in other mustangs and or improve on it. It would seem odd to go backwards with hp and performance. Wait I shouldn't say that since Ford did that with the original 4.6l's LOL

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
What makes you believe Ford will not continue to use this motor in other mustangs and or improve on it. It would seem odd to go backwards with hp and performance. Wait I shouldn't say that since Ford did that with the original 4.6l's LOL

It's no secret it doesn't fit in the new chassis. And that ford is going the turbo route.

That's why.

jbs$

Established Member
Chris, what are the limits on boost pressure, using twin turbo tech. and pump gas, that a manufacturer would use. Using these boost limits, what is the max. we could expect out of the new line of engines. By everything that I read the new engine max. size will be smaller than the current 5.8.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Chris, what are the limits on boost pressure, using twin turbo tech. and pump gas, that a manufacturer would use. Using these boost limits, what is the max. we could expect out of the new line of engines. By everything that I read the new engine max. size will be smaller than the current 5.8.

I'm not 100% sure. But it's no secret there's been a 5.0 with turbos strapped to it in an IRS car running around testing, it's in an s197 disguise...

However. Even if the car weighs 400lbs less, is more aerodynamic, and has say 575-600hp, and an IRS. I can guarantee you it will out perform our cars. That's why I think it's funny that all these people think it will be a step back in performance. I can't imagine we'll see this car out much before mid-2015, however.

Last edited:

David Neibert

Established Member
as jay leno says regarding future collectability... buy a car that you personally love. that way if it appreciates great, but if it doesn't, at least you still have a car that you love and love to drive.

I'm agreeing with Leno. If it's worth something in 10 years, that's great, if it's only going to pull 40% of the purchase price, that's okay too.

David

USV8PWR

Established Member

It will be very interesting to see Ford build a production twin turbo V8. I'll say this about Turbo techology; show me a production V8 twin turbo that has held up well? The Americans have never done it and the Germans have blown it several times in terms of reliability and durability. There aren't any production twin turbo V8s that I can think of that were worth a dang durability wise, and the aftermarket companies like Ligenfelter, Callaway, etc. have never been know for great durability either. Actually show me any turbo engines, other than perhaps low RPM diesels, that hold up with high boost pressures? Now, turbos do make incredible power and are a blast to drive but durability is not something I think of when I think of turbo powered cars. The Germans are the best at tubocharging, yet again they aren't know for durability or reliability either. Perhaps Ford will be the one though to come out with a very durable twin turbo V8? I know Chevorlet attempted it with the Z06's 7.0L engine and it burned to the ground during testing!

Regardless, I seriously doubt the next car will be quicker. I'm still waiting for someone to give me an example of a production RWD, manual car with less HP and weight than the Shelby GT500 that is quicker in the quarter mile (other than the $125K plus 2013 Corvette ZR1 and 2014 Dodge Viper). It doesn't exist! Again, those two cars are able to beat our Shelbys in a straight line with less HP not only with having less weight, but also with much better gripping and wider tires and superior aerodynamics. I don't see the new Mustang matching those cars on either of those two other neccessary points. I am positive the next one, although not as quick, will be much, much better handling though!

NOW, if Ford gave us a twin turbo 5.0L Shelby/Cobra with a dual clutch auto in it. Then we'd have a car that would whoop our butts in a straight line!

Last edited:

Gabed1972

Established Member
It will be very interesting to see Ford build a production twin turbo V8. I'll say this about Turbo techology; show me a production V8 twin turbo that has held up well? The Americans have never done it and the Germans have blown it several times in terms of reliability and durability. There aren't any production twin turbo V8s that I can think of that were worth a dang durability wise, and the aftermarket companies like Ligenfelter, Callaway, etc. have never been know for great durability either. Actually show me any turbo engines, other than perhaps low RPM diesels, that hold up with high boost pressures? Now, turbos do make incredible power and are a blast to drive but durability is not something I think of when I think of turbo powered cars. The Germans are the best at tubocharging, yet again they aren't know for durability or reliability either. Perhaps Ford will be the one though to come out with a very durable twin turbo V8? I know Chevorlet attempted it with the Z06's 7.0L engine and it burned to the ground during testing!

Regardless, I seriously doubt the next car will be quicker. I'm still waiting for someone to give me an example of a production RWD, manual car with less HP and weight than the Shelby GT500 that is quicker in the quarter mile (other than the $125K plus 2013 Corvette ZR1 and 2014 Dodge Viper). It doesn't exist! Again, those two cars are able to beat our Shelbys in a straight line with less HP not only with having less weight, but also with much better gripping and wider tires and superior aerodynamics. I don't see the new Mustang matching those cars on either of those two other neccessary points. I am positive the next one, although not as quick, will be much, much better handling though!

NOW, if Ford gave us a twin turbo 5.0L Shelby/Cobra with a dual clutch auto in it. Then we'd have a car that would whoop our butts in a straight line!

I'm going to make a simple point. 77' bandit edition Trans Am's are very collectible and are bringing big-money. They were low horsepower, not the best "muscle cars" as far as horsepower, but because the SE's were only made for 2 years in limited quantity (about 1200 per year) they have become very collectible.

Now you can argue that it's because of the smokey and the bandit movie and 7o's nastagalia so I will move on to the IROC z28.

The 1989 and 1990 IROC Z28 convertibles are all becoming very collectible bringing between $20,000 & $30,000 at this time. They never made that car with the 350. It was only produced with a low hp 305 in the convertible. I believe during that two-year run there were 5236 convertibles made.

89'- 3,940 iroc/conv -Total cars- 110-739
90'- 1,294 iroc/conv -Total cars- 34,986

This is another example of a low horsepower car that was made and limited production and now because there are not many of them left they are becoming collectible.

Now there's no way anyone is going to convince me that the 2013–2014 Shelby GT500 convertibles are not gonna become collectible.

That's the last car Carroll Shelby was directly involved with, it's the fastest production v8 in the entire world, the first Mustang to hit 200 mph, (vert limited to 155mph) and the convertible was only produced in less than 900 per year.

It also continues with the classic styling of the 60s musclecar era with a modern twist that has remained popular for the past 45 years.

I'm willing to bet that these cars appreciate it at a greater rate than IROC convertible or a 77 Trans Am. :rockon:

Last edited:

Trubble

Established Member
USV8PWR:
Thanks, man, nice writeup. While it remains to be seen what future Mustangs deliver in performance, I believe the limited production run and speed/power make the Trinity project car unique. I plan to keep a spot in my garage for my Andrea for a lot of years!

USV8PWR

Established Member
I am sure hoping my rarely driven 07 40th anny vert will hold it's own someday. It's a redheaded stepchild right now lol

:lol: They should ALL hold their value one day (possibly even including the V6 depending on what comes along with this next generation). All low mileage, unmolested Shelbys, just like many Cobras, should eventually begin to go up.

But think about this, Ford built over 10,800 Shelby GT500s in 2007 alone. However, for the two year run 2013/2014, Ford is only building approx. 10,400 of the most powerful, best performing version of the Shelby GT500; quite a bit less than the total production of the 2007 model. Additionally, Ford then built thousands more Shelbys in 2008 and 2009 of virtually the same car. Those cars all found homes and their depreciation has already pretty much plateaued, even though the 2010s, and especially the 2011/2012s got even better and more powerful!

My main argument is, if Ford didn't overproduce (and possibly underproduced) the 2013/2014 when new, how will the market be flooded with them used?

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
What I find most appealing about the '13/'14 car is this:

If you buy the car, enjoy driving it, and find out down the road it's worth double what you paid...you win.

If you buy the car, enjoy driving it, and find out down the road it's now only worth $5...you win.

If you buy the car, put 5 miles on it driving it home from the dealership and park it until you sell it for triple what you paid for it...you lose.

Anything in addition enjoying the hell out of driving the car is just a a bonus. Icing on the cake. :beer:

I could not agree more! I plan on driving it, enjoying it and scaring the Corvette and Viper guys!

Pete

freakshow12

Established Member
Oh I agree. It's one of 155 that Shelby converted. It's a blast to drive and the black/ silver rolling on black razors looks deadly. I am glad I did it rather than a super snake to be honest. That's really the reason I got my ingot/ black 14. To have the first and last in opposite combos. They look good together

Gabed1972

Established Member
I'm going to make a simple point. 77' bandit edition Trans Am's are very collectible and are bringing big-money. They were low horsepower, not the best "muscle cars" as far as horsepower, but because the SE's were only made for 2 years in limited quantity (about 1200 per year) they have become very collectible.

Now you can argue that it's because of the smokey and the bandit movie and 7o's nastagalia so I will move on to the IROC z28.

The 1989 and 1990 IROC Z28 convertibles are all becoming very collectible bringing between $20,000 & $30,000 at this time. They never made that car with the 350. It was only produced with a low hp 305 in the convertible. I believe during that two-year run there were 5236 convertibles made.

89'- 3,940 iroc/conv -Total cars- 110-739
90'- 1,294 iroc/conv -Total cars- 34,986

This is another example of a low horsepower car that was made and limited production and now because there are not many of them left they are becoming collectible.

Now there's no way anyone is going to convince me that the 2013–2014 Shelby GT500 convertibles are not gonna become collectible.

That's the last car Carroll Shelby was directly involved with, it's the fastest production v8 in the entire world, the first Mustang to hit 200 mph, (vert limited to 155mph) and the convertible was only produced in less than 900 per year.

It also continues with the classic styling of the 60s musclecar era with a modern twist that has remained popular for the past 45 years.

I'm willing to bet that these cars appreciate it at a greater rate than IROC convertible or a 77 Trans Am. :rockon:

Anyone want to share their thoughts on this. :rolling:

WolfBlitzer

Established Member
This article 2015 Ford Mustang Leaked! 360º View and Full Details – News – Car and Driver

says that the new 2015 will launch with the same engines available for 2014, and goes on to say that the new body style will include a GT500 with the 5.8 Trinity engine until later when Ford will make a GT350 with a turbo charged "voodoo" engine.

I would think this makes the 2013-14 GT500 less valuable (not the last GT500 and not the last car to have Trinity).

Wolf!

jbs$

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how Ford fits the Trinity under the hood profile that we see.

Users who are viewing this thread