THE FUTURE COLLECTIBILITY AND VALUE OF OUR 2013/2014 SHELBY GT500s...

Fastloader

Established Member
A car is the worst investment anyone can make. I have a 2010 and it is better than a stock 13 with everything that I put into it. Will I make money on mine? Not a chance. But will have more fun than someone worrying about every mile they put on. Just my two cents. 2010 last iron block ever made by ford. Is that worth anything? Enjoy your cars boys and girls.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Gonna give this thread a rest. I've stated my thoughts on the matter in length in the initial post and several times to counter arguments and am just repeating myself. I will only respond if a legitimate new argument is made, using facts and/or numbers, otherwise you all can still post in it if you want...or it will slowly disappear in the thread abyss. Haha! Regardless, it will be very cool to see what happens down the road! Watching the values go either way over the years should be very interesting because there really isn't a good American example to compare these cars too.

Enjoy your 2013/2014s and have fun shifting some gears in the most powerful production Mustangs to date!

:rockon:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
when will this stupid shit end? it's merely ego stroking and nothing more. get over it and enjoy the car already.

conceptmachine

Established Member
While I don't believe the current 2013/2014 will retain value, I do believe in 10 years or so they will still command decent money for a nice unmodded car. Mileage won't matter much, but I'd say for a loaded model one would expect to pay 40K for it...with something like 50K miles. Not bad... Having fun with mine...i absolutely love it...and don't ever plan to sell it. The only time you will ever make your money back in full is if the thing was 1/3 the production that was actually produced. They just made too many of them to ever expect a 100% return. IMO

USV8PWR

Established Member
when will this stupid shit end? it's merely ego stroking and nothing more. get over it and enjoy the car already.

Just saw this crap. You don't have a 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 and not have an ego. Sorry...

While I don't believe the current 2013/2014 will retain value, I do believe in 10 years or so they will still command decent money for a nice unmodded car. Mileage won't matter much, but I'd say for a loaded model one would expect to pay 40K for it...with something like 50K miles. Not bad... Having fun with mine...i absolutely love it...and don't ever plan to sell it. The only time you will ever make your money back in full is if the thing was 1/3 the production that was actually produced. They just made too many of them to ever expect a 100% return. IMO

This theory of too many of them produced has been shot down already by me. They didn't keep up with demand while being built new, how is there going to be too many of them used? And 40K for a $69K car??? Keep dreaming. If enough folks like you hold on to them, and there aren't any for sale, there will definitely not be too many deals (except for death, divorce...you know, the usual gems) on decent mile, untrashed examples.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Man. You made your point, you gotta stop defending it as gospel.

That was your opinion, we all get it. No reason to keep harping on it

USV8PWR

Established Member
Man. You made your point, you gotta stop defending it as gospel.

That was your opinion, we all get it. No reason to keep harping on it

I'd agree if there weren't 3 or so other threads started in the past week on similar topics! All of which were generic and didn't have any good thoughts/reasoning. Apparently as production is ending later this month it's the topic of interest right now.

BTW...did you jump on the 14?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I've been saying November for months.

And no, don't have to make that determination til it comes in

USV8PWR

Established Member
I've been saying November for months.

And no, don't have to make that determination til it comes in

Yes you have.

Well FWIW...I say to jump on it. You're in a rare position to get them at just about cost and also have the ability to market your current ride to a larger audience (you know how and what to do to assist with overseas sales too). I'd hate to see it go, but obviously you could get a lot more for it selling it overseas. Regardless, I wouldn't hesistate for a second or sweat a couple grand if it was the options/colors you originally wanted. ESPECIALLY since you may keep this model for a while...well until the next best thing comes along that is. But I would be willing to bet you will hold onto it until you are sure the next better thing is definitely coming.

C0bra99

Established Member
Put this thread in a time capsule and we will dig it up in 15 years and see:sleeping:

jbs$

Established Member
Cobra99, an interesting thought, in 15 years, what % of the current owners will still have their cars? I guess is that it will be less that 1 in 20, or 5%. Anyone else wish to weigh in?

USV8PWR

Established Member
Cobra99, an interesting thought, in 15 years, what % of the current owners will still have their cars? I guess is that it will be less that 1 in 20, or 5%. Anyone else wish to weigh in?

The only person, or should I say entity, that would possibly know this percentage # is FOMOCO. When you buy a new car the warranty is registered with Ford. Who knows how long they keep that data, but say they keep the owner info for 10 or so years then they should know who at any time owns a car. I had a 2001 Mountaineer that I just recently sold and I was continually getting recall notices from Ford up until 2011. And I was not the original owner of that SUV. Regardless, that info is extremely confidential and Ford would never release it. It would definitely be interesting to see and analyze though as it would say alot about which years were more popular than others.

So with that said, there is really no way to calculate this percentage jbs$. Good question though! And I do have a couple thoughts on it...as usual;

I believe the percentage of owners who keep this car 15 years will be higher than typical, whatever the normal percentage may be for a top model Mustang, because of its stats and it being the last model of this gen. For example, I'm sure many 1999 and 2001 SVT Cobra owners who may have planned to hold onto those cars for a long time quickly let go of them as soon as the 2003/2004 models came out with much more HP from their supercharged engines. However, I'd be willing to bet (but doubt it could be proven) that more 2003/2004 owners tended to hold onto the cars because it was the last of that gen and the best of that gen. And I would say the same would go for 13/14 models over maybe the earlier Shelbys except for maybe the first year, 2007, and the 08/09 KRs. Again, it's speculative, but I do believe many on here will at least hold on to these 13/14s until we find out for sure how great, or not so great, the next gen Cobra/Shelby will be.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
It's a gamble on what a car is going to be worth 40-50 years in the future. If you were to have bought a 69 GT500 convertible it would be worth on average 128k currently(if it's a sports roof it would be worth 78k). So a person could have turned 4,800 into 128k sounds decent. If you bought a 69 Boss 429 for 4,900 it would currently average be worth 194k. You could have bought a 57 bel air and turned 2700 into 83k. So it's all a gamble on what is going to be worth what to who will be buying the car in the future. It's easy to look back now and say man if I would have bought this particular car with these particular options and stuck it in a bubble. These values are based on Hagarty appraisals(not the bloated Barret-Jackson prices). You could have bought a 69 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 for 19,900 that could be worth 500k or even a different model worth millions. I went 40+ years because 15 years seems to be about the turn around when the vehicle stops losing its value and begins regaining value if it's desirable. 15 years ago you could have bought a 456 Ferrari for 225k and be worth 40k now. What about a Saleen S7 or Ford GT? So it goes back to being a gamble.

Or you could have put 4,900 in a mutual fund that averages 8% a year(easily done) and turned it into 145k in 44 years. It's all a gamble but there is more risk with certain choices. It would be hard to figure out which car is going to be that winning lottery ticket 40years later. You could not base it off exclusivity as some cars al though rare do not bring major coin always. Popularity when introduced? You couldn't touch a PT cruiser when they came to market without paying high ADMs just to be put on a waiting list to order one(now isn't that silly;-)). I don't know perhaps the PT cruiser will be worth millions one day?? It could be, as a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and there is an A$$ for every seat.

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
It's a gamble on what a car is going to be worth 40-50 years in the future. If you were to have bought a 69 GT500 convertible it would be worth on average 128k currently(if it's a sports roof it would be worth 78k). So a person could have turned 4,800 into 128k sounds decent. If you bought a 69 Boss 429 for 4,900 it would currently average be worth 194k. You could have bought a 57 bel air and turned 2700 into 83k. So it's all a gamble on what is going to be worth what to who will be buying the car in the future. It's easy to look back now and say man if I would have bought this particular car with these particular options and stuck it in a bubble. These values are based on Hagarty appraisals(not the bloated Barret-Jackson prices). You could have bought a 69 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 for 19,900 that could be worth 500k or even a different model worth millions. I went 40+ years because 15 years seems to be about the turn around when the vehicle stops losing its value and begins regaining value if it's desirable. 15 years ago you could have bought a 456 Ferrari for 225k and be worth 40k now. What about a Saleen S7 or Ford GT? So it goes back to being a gamble.

Or you could have put 4,900 in a mutual fund that averages 8% a year(easily done) and turned it into 145k in 44 years. It's all a gamble but there is more risk with certain choices. It would be hard to figure out which car is going to be that winning lottery ticket 40years later. You could not base it off exclusivity as some cars al though rare do not bring major coin always. Popularity when introduced? You couldn't touch a PT cruiser when they came to market without paying high ADMs just to be put on a waiting list to order one(now isn't that silly;-)). I don't know perhaps the PT cruiser will be worth millions one day?? It could be, as a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and there is an A$$ for every seat.

Great post! I remember when that damn PT cruiser was such a hit thing, it was hillarious! It is a good example of how some cars are hot the not. Fortunately I think we are safe with these cars, every car depreciates except for maybe the fgt which is rare. Even if these cars fail and don't become huge money they have made their mark in the performance world and we can all say we owned one!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Even if these cars fail and don't become huge money they have made their mark in the performance world and we can all say we owned one!

That is one of those things I do look forward to in the future to be able to say I own/owned one of those.

To steal a line from the transformers movie.
"Fifty years from now when you're looking back at your life don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get into the car?"

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
That is one of those things I do look forward to in the future to be able to say I own/owned one of those.

To steal a line from the transformers movie.
"Fifty years from now when you're looking back at your life don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get into the car?"

Lol:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread