THE FUTURE COLLECTIBILITY AND VALUE OF OUR 2013/2014 SHELBY GT500s...

dom418

Established Member
USV8PWR, Well I hope you are right in your speculation about these cars, btw what are the specs on your car? Color, mileage, etc. Is yours driven or mostly a garage queen? I was just curious...

Simon_C

Established Member
OKAY...I've commented on enough threads regarding the future values of 2013/2014 Shelby GT500's already,

You're Crazy!

Ha ha, not really. Awesome post!

I am about to be incredibly boring and put my train spotting hat on.

Value is determined by what economists call 'subjective marginal utility'. When someone buys a car for $60K it does NOT mean that the car is worth $60K. It means that one person prefers that car to their $60K and the other person prefers $60K to the car.

People have preference scales and when someone buys a car for $60K it means that they rank the car higher than $60K on their value scale.

If I prefer a GT500 to $70K and an owner of a GT500 prefers $60K to his GT500 then, if an exchange is made, it will be made somewhere between $60K to $70K depending on our negotiating skills.

The marginal aspect comes in where there are multiple buyers and sellers. If a second GT500 buyer enters the market only willing to pay $55K then the car described above will go to the first buyer as they can outbid the second buyer. The bid will be between $60K and $70K. If there is a second car it will really depend on what the second seller is willing to accept. If the second seller is not willing to accept an offer under $58K there will be no exchange.

So, it is not so much a case of supply and demand but (being pedantic) what the preferences are of sellers and buyers are at any one time. For example, while the person who has purchased for collectability may be willing to sell their GT500, it may be at a substantially higher price than what the market is willing to pay so the car will not be sold.

Further, it is not possible to know what criteria buyers place on a car. The argument is often made that performance is the main criteria affecting the future values of 2013/2014s. This may be correct, but there is no way of knowing if this is what will motivate future buyers for a GT500. Buyers of a 1967 GT500 are no longer motivated by performance.

However, whether it be performance or not there needs to be a uniqueness factor. Something different about the 2013/2014 cars that will make them desirable and buyers willing to pay a premium.

The uniqueness factor may be something that you have mentioned, it may be another factor or they may never have that uniqueness factor. There is no way of knowing. The factor may even be an antisocial aspect to the car - especially if tree huggers get their way in the future.

The last muscle car era died slowly. That generation's muscle cars were killed off by a combination of fuel costs, insurance costs and Ralph Nader. No one knew at the time that the muscle car was dying. It dies slowly, but when it did, the values of 60s and early 70s muscle cars plummeted. Now the collectability seems to be from people reliving the past. Ironically, I was considering a 60s Mustang when I decided on a 2014.

It took years for the prices of 60s muscle cars to rebound and for them to become collectible. Massively collectible in the case of the 60s Shelbys.

Maybe CAFE legislation will create that uniqueness factor? But that factor, whatever it is, will need to be unique enough for there to be enough buyers willing to pay a premium price outnumbering sellers.

As an aside. As for stock prices going up all you are seeing is inflation (increase in the supply of money). It is impossible for the stock market (as a whole) to go up long term without this. With a finite supply of money any increase in the stock prices will be offset by reduced consumer spending (spent their money on stocks instead) which will impact on sales, then earnings, forcing stock prices back down.

Anyway, it is a long way of saying who knows? You make some good points which may or may not lead to a future increase in value. My personal hunch (and that is all that it is) is that there may be some upside potential but I think anyone buying for that reason could get a better return with a lot less risk investing elsewhere.

USV8PWR

Established Member
USV8PWR, Well I hope you are right in your speculation about these cars, btw what are the specs on your car? Color, mileage, etc. Is yours driven or mostly a garage queen? I was just curious...

I specially ordered my 2013 Shelby GT500 in June 2012 and checked off every factory option, including the glass roof. The sticker was $69,085 and I got approximately $2,200 off sticker plus only paid a $149 DOC fee. My car is Deep Impact Blue with white stripes and is 1 of only 630 or so with the glass roof.

I have had it two weeks shy of a full year now and it has 5,350 miles on it. That's much more than I will put on in a typical year but I wanted to ensure I didn't have the clutch or rear end whine that others experienced on here within the first 12 months where Ford is much more likely to do something about it. I do enjoy driving mine in nice weather and having fun spirited drives but it is also the Queen of my garage and meticulously maintained. ;-) I go back and forth on minor engine mods such as tune, TB, CAI, pulley, etc. but have done nothing yet.

I also have all of the documents from the ordering and build process. At 200 miles I removed the original wheels and tires, air filter, oil filter, windshield wipers and floor mats and put them in safe storage. Sans the mileage, I could restore my car to its original new condition within a few hours.

At the end of the day even if the next gen Shelby/Cobra is that much better of a car and these depreciate a little I will still get to take out and enjoy this cool purchase/investment unlike the 401K I max out and the mutual funds/stocks I hold.

Last edited:

USV8PWR

Established Member
However, whether it be performance or not there needs to be a uniqueness factor. Something different about the 2013/2014 cars that will make them desirable and buyers willing to pay a premium.[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

The uniqueness factor may be something that you have mentioned, it may be another factor or they may never have that uniqueness factor. There is no way of knowing. The factor may even be an antisocial aspect to the car - especially if tree huggers get their way in the future.

The last muscle car era died slowly. That generation's muscle cars were killed off by a combination of fuel costs, insurance costs and Ralph Nader. No one knew at the time that the muscle car was dying. It dies slowly, but when it did, the values of 60s and early 70s muscle cars plummeted. Now the collectability seems to be from people reliving the past. Ironically, I was considering a 60s Mustang when I decided on a 2014.

It took years for the prices of 60s muscle cars to rebound and for them to become collectible. Massively collectible in the case of the 60s Shelbys.Anyway, it is a long way of saying who knows? You make some good points which may or may not lead to a future increase in value. My personal hunch (and that is all that it is) is that there may be some upside potential but I think anyone buying for that reason could get a better return with a lot less risk investing elsewhere.

I'm an investor at heart Sir, and do not make a habit of buying bad investments or purchases for that matter. Your post is pretty spot on and I was going to get into a lot of that but my post would have been even longer than it is now!

While what you say is true about the market, the difference is with a car there is only a finite supply of them. In the case of the 2013/2014 Shelby that total number will be approximately a max of 10,400. Unlike Ford stock, Ford won't ever issue these models again. Now the incredible uniqueness of this paricular car over any others before it (and probably after it) is explained in detail in my first post but ultimately comes down to its specs, limited short production cycle and being the last cars Shelby himself had any involvement with.

As far as the collectibility of the 60's muscle cars goes, it is extremely easy to see what happened there. Those cars were purchased up new and for the most part underappreciated (they were extremely modified, wrecked, stolen, etc.)...kind of like much of the folks on here today Huh. Then the 70's came and so did performance. The 60's cars and their performance (at least acceleration anyway) weren't topped until the late 80's. By then you had the generation who grew up with those cars new fighting over the examples that were left over. Before long ANY 60's Mustang or Corvette became a classic with the rare performance models even more collectible. But alas, folks ultimately want cars of their generation and by the 90's no 60's car could really keep up with the high powered variants of the modern day muscle car. The values in those old cars have plateaued. While I do believe people (as they grow older, retire, have more money) want to purchase and aquire the cars they remember when they grew up I believe many will look past the cars of the 80's, 90's, and 00's to the cars being built RIGHT NOW. We are in the Golden Age of cars again and it will not last forever.

turbo

Established Member
just to wonder, only 7 other 2013 cars exist in my color combo. of the 7, 3 are exports. of the 8 total, mine is the only one optioned thhe way mine is. for 2014, only 6 cars exist colored like mine. of the 6, 4 are exports. for the 14 total cars for 2013 and 2014, mine is the only one optioned my way. add to that, i have 275 assembly line photos of the car and motor being produced. i also have every single build sheet, and motor sheet, as well as a set of back ups printed by ford. will somebody pay extra for this rare combo, and prob the most documented shelby to date? who knows. i wouldnt, but you never know, right?

I do not understand how any one can compare the Shelby GT500 in the same class as the Corvetes or the Dodge Viper.
These cars are in a totally different class not with the Mustang/Shelby GT500.
It has been this way since they have been produced way back in the 60's.
The mustang belongs with the Cameros & not being compared with Corvetes & Vipers.
Just my opnion being a old timer from the 60's.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You have great enthusiasm!

I have no idea if the car will appreciate. I do think it will be a "Top 10" Mustang for a very long time. I do enjoy the larger size of this car over my 95 and that was one of the reasons I went for this car over a new, smaller version for 2015. The overall body lines also remind me of my 69 Mach I 428 CJ as well.

Tom

USV8PWR

Established Member
just to wonder, only 7 other 2013 cars exist in my color combo. of the 7, 3 are exports. of the 8 total, mine is the only one optioned thhe way mine is. for 2014, only 6 cars exist colored like mine. of the 6, 4 are exports. for the 14 total cars for 2013 and 2014, mine is the only one optioned my way. add to that, i have 275 assembly line photos of the car and motor being produced. i also have every single build sheet, and motor sheet, as well as a set of back ups printed by ford. will somebody pay extra for this rare combo, and prob the most documented shelby to date? who knows. i wouldnt, but you never know, right?

You never know! That is awesome man. While I don't have the pictures from the build, I too have all of the documents from the ordering and build process. And I hired a photographer to take pictures of my delivery. Then at 200 miles I removed the factory wheels and tires, air filter, oil filter, windshield wipers, and floor mats and put them in the storage. Actually I never even removed the mats out of their plastic. ;-)

I do not understand how any one can compare the Shelby GT500 in the same class as the Corvetes or the Dodge Viper.
These cars are in a totally different class not with the Mustang/Shelby GT500.
It has been this way since they have been produced way back in the 60's.
The mustang belongs with the Cameros & not being compared with Corvetes & Vipers.
Just my opnion being a old timer from the 60's.

What are you talking about Joe?? The ONLY comparison I made was regarding the acceleration. Find me a Camaro that can keep up with this car please and then I will compare that car to our 2013/2014 cars. OR find me a lighter weight, American made, less HP, RWD car that uses a manual that out accelerates our car. Nevermind don't...there are only 2 man; the 2014 Dodge Viper and the 2009 to 2013 Corvette ZR1. I used these examples to help show that the next gen Mustang Shelby/Cobra will not be quicker then the 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 regardless of it's lower weight.

You have great enthusiasm!

I have no idea if the car will appreciate. I do think it will be a "Top 10" Mustang for a very long time. I do enjoy the larger size of this car over my 95 and that was one of the reasons I went for this car over a new, smaller version for 2015. The overall body lines also remind me of my 69 Mach I 428 CJ as well.

Tom

Thanks Brother. And I fully agree. Bet that 69 is a blast to drive! :rockon:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member

A car is always worth what someone will pay for it. That said, color, options, etc...won't make your car one of one or more rare. If you drill down deep enough you can find lots of higher production cars that are one of one; does that make them rare???

I understand what you are saying.
But the mustang does not belong in the same class as the Corvetes & the Vipers.
These cars are considered super cars.
They belong with the Ford Gt,Ferrari,Lamborghini,Porsche, Corvete,Viper,Ect,Supercars.
The Mustang is not in their Class & never will be.
How can you compare a mustang to a supercar.

Last edited by a moderator:

USV8PWR

Established Member
I understand what you are saying.
But the mustang does not belong in the same class as the Corvetes & the Vipers.
These cars are considered super cars.
They belong with the Ford Gt,Ferrari,Lamborghini,Porsche,Ect.
The Mustang is not in their Class & never will be.
How can you compare a mustang to a supercar.

You're absolutely right, you can't compare them! That was my whole point. These folks who really believe the next gen lighter weight, less HP, Shelby/Cobra will out accelerate a 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 must be smoking something because the ONLY cars today that our RWD, manual transmission, with less HP and less weight that can out accelerate the current Shelby GT500 ARE supercars. And these supercars achieve this feat through better traction and much better aerodynamics something the new Mustang is more than likely not going to have.

The point is not to compare these supercars to the Shelby, it's to show that in order for the next gen Mustang Shelby/Cobra to perform as quick as the current 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 with less HP it would have to be as good or better than these two current supercars (the absolute best that GM and Dodge have to offer which both have prices above $125K). And I'm just saying that it won't happen and that our 2013/2014 cars will remain the KING of the Mustang hill, at least in terms of acceleration and top speed, for a long, long time.

Ok, enough trying to explain this...I've got to get some sleep! :sleeping:

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What I find most appealing about the '13/'14 car is this:

If you buy the car, enjoy driving it, and find out down the road it's worth double what you paid...you win.

If you buy the car, enjoy driving it, and find out down the road it's now only worth $5...you win.

If you buy the car, put 5 miles on it driving it home from the dealership and park it until you sell it for triple what you paid for it...you lose.

Anything in addition enjoying the hell out of driving the car is just a a bonus. Icing on the cake. :beer:

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
You mentioned the fact that these were the last cars that Carroll had a hand in---since cars are worked on for years before production he may have had some say in the 2015 too. Not sure how much value his life vs car year will make.
Remember these are mass produced cars-not to down play the cool factor of these cars, just that unlike the early cars where they were limited in production and tied very heavily to their racing brothers these cars are built in the same place as the other Fords. I think the value depends on how well the newer models are accepted and again how many are produced. Just my thoughts, who knows, I could be way off base. If it were that easy I would be rich from the right investments.

USV8PWR

Established Member
You mentioned the fact that these were the last cars that Carroll had a hand in---since cars are worked on for years before production he may have had some say in the 2015 too. Not sure how much value his life vs car year will make.
Remember these are mass produced cars-not to down play the cool factor of these cars, just that unlike the early cars where they were limited in production and tied very heavily to their racing brothers these cars are built in the same place as the other Fords. I think the value depends on how well the newer models are accepted and again how many are produced. Just my thoughts, who knows, I could be way off base. If it were that easy I would be rich from the right investments.

The 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 began it's development stage in 2011 from what I can find. Therefore, I doubt they were already realy working on the next Shelby or Cobra by the time Shelby himself passed away in May 2012. He was also quoted as saying that this Mustang was his favorie new car and everything he had hoped the Mustang could be. Regardless of his involvement with the car, the fact is that these were the last car to debut while he was still alive.

As far as your argument that these new cars are not being limited produced while the early Shelbys from the 60's were limited produced, I find that to the contrary. Back in the early years, Ford and Shelby American simply built as many as they could produce and/or sell. Other than time constraints, there were was no "limited production" for the 1965 GT350 of which 562 were built. And in 1966 another 1,370 Shelby GT350 were built. Now I will agree that the 1966 GT350H, of which yet another 1,000 cars were produced, were limited in production because that was the order Hertz placed. All told over 2,375 1966 Shelby GT350 cars were built (including the Hertz models)!! Not to limited if you ask me. There were also no "limited production" of the 1967 Shelby GT350 or GT500 either of which another 1,175 GT350s and over 2,000 GT500s were built, unless you consider the single 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake they built. Many, many more of both models were built in 1968 (with both models now being built under Ford's control) and even the storied GT500 KR was not limited in production. They were simply limited by orders and/or production capacity and/or parts supply. And then there were the numerous VIN issues of the very early Shelbys...

At least with these newer Shelbys Ford actually controls the allocations now to keep dealers from ordering a ton of them.

And I wish all of my investments were this easy. Whether investing in stocks, funds, land, assets, cars, etc. you have to be able to pick the winners from the losers. Why I believe this car is a winner, examples of how well the public's reaction to the new model has been, and why I think 10,400 units will ultimately not be considered a lot is all detailed in my original post. :beer:

Last edited:

USV8PWR

Established Member
What I find most appealing about the '13/'14 car is this:

If you buy the car, enjoy driving it, and find out down the road it's worth double what you paid...you win.

If you buy the car, enjoy driving it, and find out down the road it's now only worth $5...you win.

If you buy the car, put 5 miles on it driving it home from the dealership and park it until you sell it for triple what you paid for it...you lose.

Anything in addition enjoying the hell out of driving the car is just a a bonus. Icing on the cake. :beer:

I agree and disagree. I have always said this is the one investment I can take out and enjoy a little if I take good care of it and keep it properly maintained. While I do drive my car when it is nice outside I also don't see a problem if someone buys one strictly as an investment (I did not) and stored it from the day they bought it. You can't drive your stocks and mutual funds can you? At least that person could actually look at and touch this investment purchase! I put a ton in the market and can't enjoy any of that until I sell those stocks and funds for what I hope to be a profit (and usually is). At least here I can enjoy this asset and if it appreciates great and if no, it won't depreciate much and I will still have a lot of great time enjoying its use. :rockon:

turbo

Established Member
A car is always worth what someone will pay for it. That said, color, options, etc...won't make your car one of one or more rare. If you drill down deep enough you can find lots of higher production cars that are one of one; does that make them rare???

black on black= not rare. a color combo that has a few units produced= rare.

color combo and options having no others to match it= one of one

Colleton

Established Member
JMO, but anyone buying one of these cars as an investment is being willfully blind. Drive it and enjoy it, that's the only payoff you're likely to ever see from this "investment".

turbo

Established Member
for the record, most cars that became a good investment, most likely were not purchased with that intent

Users who are viewing this thread