TerminatorCobraJP's 700WHP Cobra Build

LS WUT

Established Member
Nervous about water or something else? I don't drive the car if the roads are wet so I'm not worried about water. I do find myself concerned about there being enough air flow inside of the fender to feed the Whipple however.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yes sir, I had one on my Procharged 01 GT. I hydrolocked the motor sucking up less than 3oz of water. Ending up bending 7/8 rods. Ever since I’m nervous about them. Run a high boost and cut a hole in the headlights like a boss ;)

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Yes sir, I had one on my Procharged 01 GT. I hydrolocked the motor sucking up less than 3oz of water. Ending up bending 7/8 rods. Ever since I’m nervous about them. Run a high boost and cut a hole in the headlights like a boss ;)
Yikes. That's a lot of damage for such little water. I think it'd be cool to try to run a duct through the front bumper to the filter but I'd be scared to wash the front bumper then

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Any air intake recommendations? Right now I'm torn between the JLT High Boost kit or the JLT Ram kit. I'm leaning more towards the high boost kit because I really like the look of it and having the bigger filter and colder intake temps but I've heard some people say for high horsepower cars a ram intake with the filter under the hood is better. Any ideas on this?

I’m close to 700w with the JLT ram air. I don’t think the ram air is a limiting factor. My tuner wasn’t worried about it at my power level.

PC03GT

Established Member
Yikes. That's a lot of damage for such little water. I think it'd be cool to try to run a duct through the front bumper to the filter but I'd be scared to wash the front bumper then

I run the highboost, just don't drive in the rain. You can also buy an outwear pre filter, it's a waterproof cover for the filter

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member

@KyleSVT did a bad ass duct for his brake rotors from the front bumper. It was cool as hell to see done. Unsure if there is a way to do something similar for that.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that how much water was left in the engine after you found the damage?

LS WUT

Established Member
Is that how much water was left in the engine after you found the damage?
I wasn’t there when it was figured out I had to go back to work. I pulled the motor and that’s what he found. It worked itself out. I rebuilt for Vortech V2 S trim, and did a 5.1L stroker kit.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wasn’t there when it was figured out I had to go back to work. I pulled the motor and that’s what he found. It worked itself out. I rebuilt for Vortech V2 S trim, and did a 5.1L stroker kit.
My ASSumption is there was a lot more than 3oz of water that did the damage. That's just what they found. All the rest left the engine in some way.

My thought process is back in the day I watched guys poor small amounts of water through a carb to clean the combustion chamber. They were using more than 3oz to do that.

Either way you ended up better afterwards.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Any air intake recommendations? Right now I'm torn between the JLT High Boost kit or the JLT Ram kit. I'm leaning more towards the high boost kit because I really like the look of it and having the bigger filter and colder intake temps but I've heard some people say for high horsepower cars a ram intake with the filter under the hood is better. Any ideas on this?

Supercharger manufacture's do not recommend ram air or under hood intakes because you are sucking hot engine bay air into the engine. So for that reason, the high boost is a better option.

Many people still run the ram air without issues. What you really need to be checking is the IAT temps, the computer will pull timing based on this. Mainly in traffic, this could be an issue. Highway and cruising speeds, there is plenty of air movement under the hood and the ram air will be fine.

I shaved my engine bay and also run a ram air intake. I'm making over 800hp, so the ram air is not limiting power. I based my choice on visual preference. I ran the HB for many years before.

LS WUT

Established Member
My ASSumption is there was a lot more than 3oz of water that did the damage. That's just what they found. All the rest left the engine in some way.

My thought process is back in the day I watched guys poor small amounts of water through a carb to clean the combustion chamber. They were using more than 3oz to do that.

Either way you ended up better afterwards.
It wasn’t even raining that bad when I was leaving a car show. I know, who drives their cars in the rain if they can help it. However anyone who knows Florida those surprise shower storms will get you.

Anyways I didn’t even go crazy in the rain, or go into a puddle that appeared to be big. However I didn’t a puddle and the car started to choke. Then she shut down. I tried to crank her with no prevail. The rest is history.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
I appreciate all the input from everyone. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get the high boost intake based on IATs and visual preference. I do a good bit of city driving when I take the car out and these Missouri summers are nasty so IATs are important to me.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
I appreciate all the input from everyone. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get the high boost intake based on IATs and visual preference. I do a good bit of city driving when I take the car out and these Missouri summers are nasty so IATs are important to me.

Where in MO?

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, I've yet to see a difference in mine and my buddies IAT's. IMO where it picks up the air really isn't that important since the blower is going to heat it up anyway. As long as the intercooler set up is good you should be fine.

I also saw the same results when I ran a centri. No difference in the IAT's with and without the pipe in the fenderwell.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
IMG_5950.jpeg
This setup had no problem keeping IATs down due to the 4inch core intercooler up front. 2V swapped fox body, D1SC. IATs were always ambient when it mattered.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Southwest MO these days. I was born in St.Louis, lived in O'Fallon when I was little. I kinda want to go back to St.Charles.

I’m in Lincoln County now. Family is in St. Charles County. I went to school at Southwest Baptist University. Springfield is a dump now but I loved living down there. Cool. Not many of us from MO on here.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
I’m in Lincoln County now. Family is in St. Charles County. I went to school at Southwest Baptist University. Springfield is a dump now but I loved living down there. Cool. Not many of us from MO on here.
Yeah, I'm not far from Springfield. I go out there every once in a while. I'd say it's still nicer than the city I live in.

Users who are viewing this thread