TerminatorCobraJP's 700WHP Cobra Build

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Figured I'd document the build process of my 03 Cobra #578. This is going to take a while, I'll buy parts as I can but things should start speeding up later in 2024.

Current mods: BBK longtube headers, custom O/R x-pipe, and a muffler delete (I know that sounds ghetto but that will be addressed at some point.)

So the car is going from essentially bone stock to a goal of 700WHP.

I have been stocking up on some parts, I plan on buying everything I need to get the car driving on the road at 700WHP first, putting that all on at once, and then getting into more supporting and miscellaneous mods afterwards.

Parts I currently have stocked up: 2.3L Whipple, SCT X4, BA3000 MAF, and a 100mm snub idler pulley.

Next things I plan on getting are a Mcleod RST, 26 spline input shaft, and a head cooling mod, a return style fuel system for E85, a JLT air intake, and a wideband. I'll get the car tuned with all of that and then I'll start getting into more supporting and miscellaneous mods like cooling, suspension and chassis, KMJ alternator, some Borla Stingers, dual Aeroforce gauges, a shifter, and by that point I think it'll be getting right about where I'm happy with it.

I've got a lot to do. This thread will probably be going on into 2025 but I'm going to try to get the car at 700WHP on the street in 2024. Super excited for it.
20231122_153148.jpeg
Snapchat-1655301232.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
This will be fun. Similar build as mine but I have a KB 2.8. I’m at 670w with a 3.5 pulley, E85, and a very conservative tune.
I'm going to have to spin this little 2.3L pretty hard to meet my goal but it's going to be a lot of fun. I peak into your build thread every once and a while, maybe I'll take some inspiration from it. I am new to all of this so it's going to be a learning process as well as a build process.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I'm going to have to spin this little 2.3L pretty hard to meet my goal but it's going to be a lot of fun. I peak into your build thread every once and a while, maybe I'll take some inspiration from it. I am new to all of this so it's going to be a learning process as well as a build process.

It’s simple. A good fuel system, a good blower, and good tuning. 700w is very easy with these cars…take some money.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Following this one, you’ve got this bubba! Just take your time and get good parts. Deals are out there just have to be patient.
I won't give up on it. I take advantage of Black Friday deals heavily so thats when I tend to make big purchases lol.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Don’t forget a 170 T stat, a better heat exchanger and a bigger IC tank. Every little bit of cooling is needed and helps.

I also still haven’t done a 26 spline input shaft. I’m going to keep the 10 spline and Mach 600 clutch until I need to replace it. I basically only so 40+ rolls.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Don’t forget a 170 T stat, a better heat exchanger and a bigger IC tank. Every little bit of cooling is needed and helps.

I also still haven’t done a 26 spline input shaft. I’m going to keep the 10 spline and Mach 600 clutch until I need to replace it. I basically only so 40+ rolls.
Unfortunately my clutch HAS to be done. It's already toast so I figured I'll just spend the money now and get it all done up perfect this go around. I didn't think about the thermostat so I'll add that to the list of cooling mods.

01yellercobra

Established Member
JMO, but anymore I suggest going stand alone when people start wanting big power. It's just easier in the long run.

Also, since you haven't installed it yet you might want to consider selling the 2.3 and putting the money toward a 2.9. You'll hit your goal a lot easier and won't have to work the blower as hard.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
JMO, but anymore I suggest going stand alone when people start wanting big power. It's just easier in the long run.

Also, since you haven't installed it yet you might want to consider selling the 2.3 and putting the money toward a 2.9. You'll hit your goal a lot easier and won't have to work the blower as hard.
That would be nice but it's not really in the budget at the moment. Maybe if I end up wanting more I'll go this route, but I don't race the car seriously or anything, I just have some fun on the street so I think I'll be very happy with the results.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you sell the X4 and put that with the money you have planned for the Aeroforces I think you'll be closer than you realize. You'll need at least one wideband either way so that's a wash.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
If you sell the X4 and put that with the money you have planned for the Aeroforces I think you'll be closer than you realize. You'll need at least one wideband either way so that's a wash.
What would be some of the benefits of going this route vs the stock computer with the SCT?

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
My RST didn't hold up under moderate use for very long with a ported eaton so... Imagine a whipple wouldn't fair much better.
I have a Spec Stage 1 clutch kit in there right now and after about 5K miles it's ruined and I'm at stock power level. I definitely don't want to make a habit of replacing clutches so maybe I'll go RXT. I need it to hold up.

MG0h3

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread