TerminatorCobraJP's 700WHP Cobra Build

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member

MG0h3

Established Member
Yeah, I need to do more research on this. I don't know what a PCV actually does or what the benefits of plugging it are.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PCV or positive crankcase ventilation uses engine vacuum to evacuate the crankcase of pressure and pollutants.

The vapor is reintroduced to the engine to be burned.

Boosted engines can actually add extra pressure to the crankcase from the pressure in the intake that a naturally aspirated car can’t create.

You can plug it or I run a Supra PCV which has a check valve.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
PCV or positive crankcase ventilation uses engine vacuum to evacuate the crankcase of pressure and pollutants.

The vapor is reintroduced to the engine to be burned.

Boosted engines can actually add extra pressure to the crankcase from the pressure in the intake that a naturally aspirated car can’t create.

You can plug it or I run a Supra PCV which has a check valve.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
It sounds like an important system. What headaches can come about from leaving the PCV? If the PCV cannot relieve that extra pressure, where does it all go?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
If you have to smog test you will need to have it hooked up or you will fail the test. If you don’t need to test you can delete it along with the rest of the emissions equipment, if you delete it keep all the parts so if you sell it down the road, the new owner will appreciate the parts if he/she lives where they test

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
These cars don't have a heated PCV like the Mach's. That's why there's no fuse. It's not used.

I think it's a 1/4" or 3/8" NPT. You can get a plug at Home Depot. If the hose going to that fitting ever cracks or breaks it's a PITA to replace. That why most plug it.

You can still run a hose between the valve cover and blower inlet to keep it stock style. That's how mine is with a catch can in place.

Or you can plug the plenum inlet and run open breathers or a vented catch can.

tporter67

Established Member
Get you a new intake gasket if you haven't put together yet.

Pretty cheap at lethal, vmp charges like $200 for the pair. Id also replace the fuel filler neck grommet when you drop your tank for the fuel system. It can get damaged during removal.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
These cars don't have a heated PCV like the Mach's. That's why there's no fuse. It's not used.

I think it's a 1/4" or 3/8" NPT. You can get a plug at Home Depot. If the hose going to that fitting ever cracks or breaks it's a PITA to replace. That why most plug it.

You can still run a hose between the valve cover and blower inlet to keep it stock style. That's how mine is with a catch can in place.

Or you can plug the plenum inlet and run open breathers or a vented catch can.
I thought these cars had a heated PCV. That's exactly what happened to me, I'll try to get a picture of it some time but hose actually ripped completely in half from being stretched too far, that's how tight it was on that fitting. I'll go ahead and plug it then. Would a JLT catch can work good for this set up?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I thought these cars had a heated PCV. That's exactly what happened to me, I'll try to get a picture of it some time but hose actually ripped completely in half from being stretched too far, that's how tight it was on that fitting. I'll go ahead and plug it then. Would a JLT catch can work good for this set up?

Sure would, Harpel makes a very nice one too

Bullitt1448

Established Member

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it was heated there would be an electrical plug on the PCV.

I installed a J&L (the new JLT) on the wife's car and it seems to work pretty well. I run a Bob's Motorsports on my car and I like it.

At some point I'm going to go vented catch can though. I didn't have good luck with open breathers on my last car.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
If it was heated there would be an electrical plug on the PCV.

I installed a J&L (the new JLT) on the wife's car and it seems to work pretty well. I run a Bob's Motorsports on my car and I like it.

At some point I'm going to go vented catch can though. I didn't have good luck with open breathers on my last car.
Just to make sure I'm understanding the proper way of plugging the PCV. I buy one 3/8" plug for the fitting under the manifold, and then I run a vented catch can off of where the PCV hose used to T into?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Correct on the plug.

Ditch the T and run the hose straight to the blower. I picked up a 90 degree bend at one of the parts stores to connect the hose from the catch can to.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
I deleted the entire pcv system and just went with open breathers. Have had an oil misting or issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efnfast

Established Member
Correct on the plug.

Ditch the T and run the hose straight to the blower. I picked up a 90 degree bend at one of the parts stores to connect the hose from the catch can to.

So basically it goes valve cover -> catch can -> blower if you plug up the lower intake manifold hose?

Also, in this configuration shouldn't it be a solid (unvented) catch can?

Users who are viewing this thread