Tell us something about your job that would surprise most people

850SNCobra

Established Member
I see that things have changed a lot over the years. MANY years ago I worked at a McD's and back then it was the usual practice to have burgers (and fish filet sandwiches) wrapped and ready to go in the heated bins. They were always on a timer. Maybe it was 8 minutes. I can't remember. When the timer expired, the products had to be thrown out, replaced by freshly made produce. Even back then, the manager of this particular McD's was pretty spot on as far as how many burgers to make at any specific time. I remember seeing people (homeless or poor) often digging through our dumpster near closing to find still warm burgers to feed on. Then, I believe, they started locking the dumpster to keep people out. Probably concerned about liability.

Things haven't changed that much, still the same concept just some steps evolved if you will. It's only been about 5 years since I moved into my real career and boy am I glad to be out of the restaurant scene lol.

We used to load the heated bins with pre-made big macs or whatever was on sale at that given time. Ugh, I vividly remember when the big mac's would go on sale for buy one get one for a penny, we would literally have the 2nd side of the "sandwich making line" filled with big macs lol.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you've taken a drug screening lately chances are my branch of the company checked it. I just had to get a screening for a new job and the kit had my current companies logo on it.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
The cost of custom manufacturing equipment is stupid expensive.

I won't go into full detail, but our group of 3-4 regularly write PO's worth more than the median house price in the US ($227k)... for one piece of automation equipment. Not an entire production line. I currently have a $300k machine being built and that's not even the most expensive in our group.

Everyone wants to complain about the price of X, but have no idea of the costs to produce it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The automation lines we design and build in house have on avg. 60-70k in electronics and drives alone for 300k machine and we don't even mess with anything robotic related.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Can't think of anything crazy. I build 4000 injectors in an 8 hour shift on my line alone. Lots of FORD :)

nickf2005

Established Member
The automation lines we design and build in house have on avg. 60-70k in electronics and drives alone for 300k machine and we don't even mess with anything robotic related.
Electronics and robotics are pricey, but the custom machining and fab work rack up the costs too. The 300k machine I mentioned has several servo driven linear actuators, but that's the bulk of the automation. It's leak decay, so instruments get pricey too. It all adds up. End results can be pretty freaking cool though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If any nuclear material or asset is ever stolen from either of the two main naval bases that store them then the team that goes after them consists of just Lance Corporals and Corporals and they are the only ones tasked with taking them back. Plenty of other agencies will be on board and assisting of course but it will be about 12-18 Marines in their late teens early 20s on average giving chase and kicking in doors to get it all back, and in that rare case there is no ROEs and no such thing as hostages.

T56LS102

Established Member
I work for one of the largest portable generator manufactures, been here since 2005 (Champion Power Equipment), incredible what the EPA / CARB is making small engine manufacturers go through, any small engine larger then 79cc needs to have pretty much an automotive emission cont. system, catalytic conv., evaporative fuel capture (charcoal canister), an audible (clicking) fuel cap... I'm talking the works, even better? starting 2021 all portable gens will need a carbon monoxide shut off system (for stupid ppl that kill themselves and their family by running generators indoors, garages, basements, ect...) EPA just copies CARB (Cali Air Resources Board) the following year or 2, when asked to CARB, when do you draw the line? as in, when is it clean enough? never... it just drives up the cost and lowers the performance and reliability of small engine gas powered equipment.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
All but a couple Tx prisons are non air conditioned and temps regularly hit 110+ in there and we have to keep a temp log for records in case shit happens

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Decorated cake icing is injected with nitrogen to make it fluffy and lighter.

Powdered sugars have different grinds and are rated along the lines of 10x, 12x, 4x and so on. Starch is used in the grinding of sugar process.

Waste water from a food plant creates enough energy to run a 12 cylinder 600kw generator 24/7 at around 470kW to 500kW.

We use on average 120,000 to 200,000 pounds of sugar per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmsa540

Established Member
This...
I own/operate a Ford dealership.

I see people daily driving and buying vehicles that have higher payments than their mortgage. I see people signing 25+% interest loans where they'll end up buying the car twice before it's paid off. I see people signing up for 6-7 year payment terms to get the payment they 'can afford', yet they drive 20-25k miles a year, so before it's paid off they'll have anywhere from 130-160k miles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I work for one of the largest portable generator manufactures, been here since 2005 (Champion Power Equipment), incredible what the EPA / CARB is making small engine manufacturers go through, any small engine larger then 79cc needs to have pretty much an automotive emission cont. system, catalytic conv., evaporative fuel capture (charcoal canister), an audible (clicking) fuel cap... I'm talking the works, even better? starting 2021 all portable gens will need a carbon monoxide shut off system (for stupid ppl that kill themselves and their family by running generators indoors, garages, basements, ect...) EPA just copies CARB (Cali Air Resources Board) the following year or 2, when asked to CARB, when do you draw the line? as in, when is it clean enough? never... it just drives up the cost and lowers the performance and reliability of small engine gas powered equipment.

despite it being all over the news etc... every time theres a hurricane here you see several stories of people that die from this. They run it in the garage, or in a spare room with towels in the door cracks etc...hell the fire department said one family was using it as a coffee table and playing cards on it!

jmsa540

Established Member
Are you GS?
If any nuclear material or asset is ever stolen from either of the two main naval bases that store them then the team that goes after them consists of just Lance Corporals and Corporals and they are the only ones tasked with taking them back. Plenty of other agencies will be on board and assisting of course but it will be about 12-18 Marines in their late teens early 20s on average giving chase and kicking in doors to get it all back, and in that rare case there is no ROEs and no such thing as hostages.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
If you had any idea about how many things go wrong and how much of it is due to company policy you would think twice about going to a hospital for care.

And if you knew the markups on some things you would be pissed if you are in retail and even more pissed when you found out how much/often hospitals dont get paid..especially if you pay for insurance

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
As a commercial/industrial HVAC mechanic, most people have no idea on the amount of money it cost to air condition their office space. We recently did a shut down in a high rise building starting at 6pm on a Friday night. Changed the floor unit out and had it back up and running before Monday morning. People on the floor had no idea the job ever happened...

Between electricans, carpenters, sheet metal, pipe fitters, controls, hvac, cleaners, start up company, and building engineers all hands were on deck for 56 hours straight. The cost for the job hovered near a million dollars but it was completed on time.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Nah, it's a common occurrence down here, to no ones surprise.

May not die, but I swear there's a weekly news article of some idiot getting whacked by a train in Florida.

I like to say
You have to be smarter than the train

Some are not.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Avoid buying cars from dealerships that have 18 year olds as lot attendants. When I was a lot attendant at ford all the lot guys abused the ever living shit out of everything. I did many burnouts with brand new 5.0s and focus st’s. This was common at all the dealers on our local auto mile.

Users who are viewing this thread