Tell us something about your job that would surprise most people

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
As a commercial/industrial HVAC mechanic, most people have no idea on the amount of money it cost to air condition their office space. We recently did a shut down in a high rise building starting at 6pm on a Friday night. Changed the floor unit out and had it back up and running before Monday morning. People on the floor had no idea the job ever happened...

Between electricans, carpenters, sheet metal, pipe fitters, controls, hvac, cleaners, start up company, and building engineers all hands were on deck for 56 hours straight. The cost for the job hovered near a million dollars but it was completed on time.

I have an idea! Some of our systems hold 6,000 pounds of gas. We just did an ammonia conversion for the plant that holds a little under 10,000 pounds to eliminate R22. But we have several stand alone systems that are non ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxbusa

Established Member
Nah, it's a common occurrence down here, to no ones surprise.

May not die, but I swear there's a weekly news article of some idiot getting whacked by a train in Florida.

I live in Florida and today I saw an idiot drive around the railroad arms. It’s hard to defend Floridians anymore and I understand the stereotype.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hunterp

Established Member
Avoid buying cars from dealerships that have 18 year olds as lot attendants. When I was a lot attendant at ford all the lot guys abused the ever living shit out of everything. I did many burnouts with brand new 5.0s and focus st’s. This was common at all the dealers on our local auto mile.

Some truth right there. My illustrious career as a teenage lot attendant was close to ending when I almost rolled an Explorer 30 years ago :)

VegasMichael

Established Member
I own/operate a Ford dealership.

I see people daily driving and buying vehicles that have higher payments than their mortgage. I see people signing 25+% interest loans where they'll end up buying the car twice before it's paid off. I see people signing up for 6-7 year payment terms to get the payment they 'can afford', yet they drive 20-25k miles a year, so before it's paid off they'll have anywhere from 130-160k miles.
I believe it. I live across the street from a gal who sells BMWs and Mercedes and she says half the people who buy one really can't afford it.

_Snake_

Established Member
I valet parked cars one summer in OC, MD. At least 75% of the crew was high on something while at work in the evenings and trying to locate the cars they parked in the five-story garage was always an adventure. You lost your job if you wrecked a customer’s car......at the end of the summer, I was the only one left of the original crew.

I’ve never valeted anything I’ve ever owned.

RES0574

Established Member
If any nuclear material or asset is ever stolen from either of the two main naval bases that store them then the team that goes after them consists of just Lance Corporals and Corporals and they are the only ones tasked with taking them back. Plenty of other agencies will be on board and assisting of course but it will be about 12-18 Marines in their late teens early 20s on average giving chase and kicking in doors to get it all back, and in that rare case there is no ROEs and no such thing as hostages.
RTT Reapers?

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I own/operate a Ford dealership.

I see people daily driving and buying vehicles that have higher payments than their mortgage. I see people signing 25+% interest loans where they'll end up buying the car twice before it's paid off. I see people signing up for 6-7 year payment terms to get the payment they 'can afford', yet they drive 20-25k miles a year, so before it's paid off they'll have anywhere from 130-160k miles.

Their money, their problem. Make yours and carry on. If they’re happy then I wouldn’t give it a second thought

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I started out as a brick layer. Then I worked on copiers from tabletop to production printers. Then x-ray film processors. Then medical xray machines, and now robotic medical xray machines.

Medical xray machines: the last bit of modern electrical/electronics that utilizes a vacuum tube. Horrible efficiency: only about 1% of the 100K Watts pumped into an xray tube actually is converted into medically-useful image-producing xray. The rest is soft xray filtered out before it can even leave the tube, and heat. Truckloads of heat.

blk02edge

Established Member
I’m a Firefighter Paramedic in Tampa. The amount of shit I have seen/experienced on calls is absolutely mind blowing. I don’t even know where to start.

The sheer stupidity of society is unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May have something to do with Florida. Id bet you could write several books, I know i'd read them

FJohnny

Established Member
Don't work any more, just golf. Hope golf stories are okay.

About half the guys in the course I play invested in Bre-X, a fraudulent mining company that went to zero. Most made over a million dollars with one guy making over 100 million.

Sounds like a lot, but remember these are Canadian dollars.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I spent years in college learning calculus/differentials and all that fun stuff for a program to do 95% of the calculations in my field of Land Development (Civil Engineer)

Of course you need to make sure the inputs/values are correct.
And do some calculations yourself to verify that the program took the data correctly (stormwater runoff or retaining walls for example).

The most hand calculations I've done since I've graduated was when I was studying/took the P.E.

It's more about making sound judgments and ethics than math and equations now. Especially with how far along certain programs have come along over the years.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Their money, their problem. Make yours and carry on. If they’re happy then I wouldn’t give it a second thought

When I was younger I would really question it...but then the people that I didn't think should buy a car, went and bought elsewhere. So they ended up with what they wanted and I didn't make any money.

Now I try my best to give some advice, but if they don't want it, no big deal.

awful knawful

Established Member
Don't work any more, just golf. Hope golf stories are okay.

About half the guys in the course I play invested in Bre-X, a fraudulent mining company that went to zero. Most made over a million dollars with one guy making over 100 million.

Sounds like a lot, but remember these are Canadian dollars.
I remember bre x. I know one guy basically list his pension in that.

Didn't the founder "fall" out of a helicopter?

jaxbusa

Established Member
When I was younger I worked at a seafood restaurant. The restaurant served customers perch, a cheaper fish, when the customer ordered grouper or snapper. At that same restaurant I saw a cook spit in a customer’s food that was brought back.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
When I was younger I would really question it...but then the people that I didn't think should buy a car, went and bought elsewhere. So they ended up with what they wanted and I didn't make any money.

Now I try my best to give some advice, but if they don't want it, no big deal.

If someone wants to really walk off a cliff, they'll do it. You can talk them out of that cliff, but they'll just find another. Happens in everything

Users who are viewing this thread