Tell us something about your job that would surprise most people

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
My wife teaches nursing at the Masters and Doctorate level, and the stories she “doesn’t tell me” are incredible.

If people were aware of how big of a shit show hospitals can be, they’d never go voluntarily.
Yup

My wife works at an executive level with healthcare and stories we dont swap are horrifying

The amount of money wasted and written off is staggering

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I started out as a brick layer. Then I worked on copiers from tabletop to production printers. Then x-ray film processors. Then medical xray machines, and now robotic medical xray machines.

Medical xray machines: the last bit of modern electrical/electronics that utilizes a vacuum tube. Horrible efficiency: only about 1% of the 100K Watts pumped into an xray tube actually is converted into medically-useful image-producing xray. The rest is soft xray filtered out before it can even leave the tube, and heat. Truckloads of heat.

Every house has one device that still uses a vacuum tube. Let's see who can list it? (No fair for Jim to answer...) Not the crt tv tube.

Also, high end stereo gear still uses tubes. To be fair, not many homes have systems like this.

Morgan

Established Member
Every house has one device that still uses a vacuum tube. Let's see who can list it? (No fair for Jim to answer...) Not the crt tv tube.

Also, high end stereo gear still uses tubes. To be fair, not many homes have systems like this.

HVAC thermostat uses a mercury filled tube to power up the system- is it a vacuum tube?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well **** and here I was thinking I was doing something good recycling all the beer bottles.

some parts of the country it is recycled but many it's not.

Na I don't go to any of those conferences. I'll go to the waste haulers convention every now and then when it's in vegas.[/

I'll go to Waste Expo, don't bother going to the others, theyre mostly BS.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
HVAC thermostat uses a mercury filled tube to power up the system- is it a vacuum tube?

They used to use mercury switches, but now mercury has been banned- for the most part. New thermostats are SS. Wall switches also had mercury in them.

A trace amount is in CFL's as the conductivity of mercury vapor allows them to start easily.

But the mercury switch isn't actually a vacuum tube.

One really interesting thing about mercury is that lead will float on it.

He was correct on the microwave, the Klystron or Magnetron is actually a vacuum tube and is the part of the microwave that radiates the electromagnetic wave that heats food. In actuality the Klystron may (by now) have been substituted by something easier to produce, but I'm too lazy to look any further.

Last edited:

Sn95Snake

Established Member
At Walmart we would regularly catch people ****ing in the parking lot. Full on naked out in the open in front of the store ****ing.

In the Prison System we would actually turn inmates loose and they would check in with us hourly. No direct observations and we never had one escape like that.

As a valet Ive been offered sex by multiple women even with the husband standing there looking out with a glazed look in his eyes.

I have had very similar experiences in the valet field. Also finding cockroaches in cars happens sometimes....

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Every movie theater chain has “Season Passes” for management, executives, etc.

My grandfather did a deal with a large chain back in the 70’s, and knew about this, and put it in the lease that we get passes for the family, about 6 passes per year.

Theater has been bought out many times over the years, still in business, and each time because it’s in the lease, we get season passes.

Have never paid for a movie in my life. It’s great if the movie sucks, just walk out and not feel like you just wasted $10.
We do pay for the popcorn and drinks, so they still make a little money off me lol

VegasMichael

Established Member
Every movie theater chain has “Season Passes” for management, executives, etc.

My grandfather did a deal with a large chain back in the 70’s, and knew about this, and put it in the lease that we get passes for the family, about 6 passes per year.

Theater has been bought out many times over the years, still in business, and each time because it’s in the lease, we get season passes.

Have never paid for a movie in my life. It’s great if the movie sucks, just walk out and not feel like you just wasted $10.
We do pay for the popcorn and drinks, so they still make a little money off me lol
That's what we call being grandfathered in. Sweet deal.

musclefan21

Established Member
If you are a smoker and stay at a smoke free hotel and still smoke in it and get that hefty smoke cleaning fee?

Dispute it with your credit card company and you win it every time. The only time hotel would be granted the fee is if you left cigarettes, ashes etc behind for them to take a pic and even then it’s a stretch. If it is just the smell, yeah they are gonna charge you but you will get that money right back.. I think I only won one case out of many and that’s because they trashed the Room and cig. Buds everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread