Svt feels toward 2001 Cobra 03/04 Mach?

40calcobra

Established Member
Oh, it was the heads and cams that made the 03's so much better than 01's... :lol:

99/01 Cobra's were ok for the time, but the 03 is lightyears better
Much nicer seats
Ummm. Blower.
Manley Rods
T-56 Vs 3650
Much stronger IRS
Wider, more aggressive wheels
Mirror's
Spoiler

If you wanted to build a turbo'd beast of a drag car, a 99/01 Cobra or Mach is a perfect car since you'd be replacing the irs, t56, and blower of an 03 anyway..

Yea you missed the part where he said" 03/04 mach1"! Nice try!

dom418

Established Member
I like both cars, I don't think it's an issue of not enough love but just the fact that there are more terminator and Shelby owners on this site. The 93 Cobra section is also not as active as the others

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
As long as we are talking Mach 1 and 01 Cobra why not throw in the Bullitt? New intake/tb, altered suspension, also a limited run...

I started a thread awhile back regarding swapping a '99 Cobra for a Bullitt and a lot of the responses surprised me, in terms of the praise for the Bullitt. Now that I've had my '99 Cobra for about 5 years now, I think I'd probably make the move to a Bulllitt before a Mach or another Cobra, simply for the fact that I can count on one hand how many of them I've seen around here.

4601S/C

Established Member
I love the Mach 1! Watch Youtube videos just to see shakeer :rolling:. A Mach 1 would complete my garage...for now. I almost bought one instead of my Cobra, but it got sold out from under me before I could make it to the dealership:shrug:. It was perfect too...Stock as a rock (powertrain wise), 24k miles, Oxford white, FR500 Anthracite wheels, 5speed, & super clean from the pictures. I was gonna fly to Ohio to get it and drive it back...Still a little peeved I lost out on that one...:nonono:

I must say that in regard to the S550, I'm not really excited at all for the next Cobra. I am very hopeful that the Mach 1 will return though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think youve pretty much got it with the terminator over shadowing them... The Machs could be had new for ~23-24 new so it was a great car that price point but its nowhere near the starting point of a terminator with the HP it can handle. The Machs and 99/01 Cobras are good cars but why buy one knowing you'll have to do a motor swap to make big numbers when you can pay a bit more and have the terminator motor out of the gate

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
i keep kicking around the idea of getting an '01 Cobra for Auto-X...

both the '01 Cobra and 03/04 Mach 1 will "need" things if you want them to be a Terminator. honestly though, if you want 03/04 Cobra performance, buy an 03/04 Cobra. if you want a fun and rather inexpensive car the '01 and Mach are great places to start.

for what it's worth Hi-End Auto has a few Mach 1's and a nice '01 Cobra in stock. i looked at the Cobra a few weeks back when i was there picking up my truck. if i could have put the cash together i would have taken it home with me!
Inventory - Hi-End Auto Sales

BlueSnake01

Established Member
My v6 hood hides them well too!
+1
Sure surprises people whenever they hear the whine. Also, my "V6" hood is functional, even if it gets a lil bit of air :-D
I liked my old TB 01 cobra. She was sharp but kinda slow :(
I thought she was fast in the beginning, then again I was only 17…. I love my color though!

IMO both are great car's, the Mach 1 is more of a drag car and slightly faster stock for stock. Can't go wrong with either one, whoever said the 01 was much better than the 99, it wasnt, it was a small improvement. The only main things between both was the "upgraded" IRS, weaker tranny for 01? the seats color, stereo, and the rear bumper. Most 99 Cobra's had the fix so they were the same on performance.

Sick03Vert

Banned
I had an '03 TR Mach 1. That car was badass and sounded like Christmas. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon: Plus, the shaker was simply awesome and never gets old. It does tend to kill your gas mileage though....I loved making that thing move.

As for the earlier model Cobras...I like them too. Of the lot though, I'd go with a Mach 1 simply for the shaker. :rockon:

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
I love my 99. Never was a fan of the Mach 1's although you can really dress them up nicely. But there is nothing like having the snake emblem on the side of the car as well as wearing the SVT badge. Sure the car is slow, but it's only a cruiser.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Oh, it was the heads and cams that made the 03's so much better than 01's... :lol:

99/01 Cobra's were ok for the time, but the 03 is lightyears better
Much nicer seats
Ummm. Blower.
Manley Rods
T-56 Vs 3650
Much stronger IRS
Wider, more aggressive wheels
Mirror's
Spoiler

If you wanted to build a turbo'd beast of a drag car, a 99/01 Cobra or Mach is a perfect car since you'd be replacing the irs, t56, and blower of an 03 anyway..

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The Terminators are definitely an all around better car than the 99/01 Cobras or 03/04 Mach 1's for all the reasons previously suggested.

I don't at all regret buying my 99 because at the time I bought it if I found an 03/04 Cobra in the same condition with the same mileage, I would have had to pay an additional 15k+ for it. With that 15k difference a 99/01 Cobra (or 03/04 Mach) can be made a WAY better car than an 03/04 Cobra.

Between the Mach's and earlier Cobras it is very subjective and it basically comes down to personal preference on IRS vs solid axle and exterior styling.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
For what it's worth, I had more fun with my '99 Cobra than I did with my '03.

The new edge Cobra's aren't nearly as powerful and they have a somewhat peaky powerband, but they also have a lot going for them. If you like corners, they are one of the better handling mustangs. The all aluminum 4.6 with the addition of the heavier IRS in the back provided much better weight distribution.

That high revving 4.6 sings on the track when you can keep the revs up as well. Just a few minor tweeks and you've got an enjoyable, all around vehicle that doesn't break the bank.

I'd do the following at a minimum

Cold Air Intake
Full Exhaust
4.10's
Tune

Add a set of good tires and enjoy a well balanced, relatively quick and reliable mustang.

It's not going to shred the doors off of the quick stuff out these days, but you'll have fun in a car like that.

If you wanted a bit more, I'd add a fluidamper style underdrive pully (the one from the 00R is a good choice) as well as a ported upper and lower intake. There's also been some wild NA FR500 engine builds over the years, plus you have all the same turbo options etc.

This was my '99
1999Cobra058.jpg

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I love the Mach 1's. Matter of fact, I believe a CO Mach 1 will be my next project.

I love the Mach 1 styling, especially with big & littles. I plan on swapping my forged 5.4 in the car along with a Hellion TT kit, so starting with a Terminator would just be a waste of a good car IMO. I prefer the solid axle for my intentions, and I'll be looking for an auto car (one thing you never could get in a Cobra).

03 deadpool

Established Member
Fiend of mine was looking for a nice 99 or 01 cobra, he started looking for a mach now cuase you seem to be able to get one for a a better purchase price. Also his insurance would be better with a mach than a cobra by about 10 bucks a month.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Wait till Luke1333 sees this thread lol.

I've owned 4 terminators and 2 01 cobra's. No comparison but that's not the point. The 99-01 is a great car, just lacking in low end grunt.

I would take the Mach over the Cobra though. That shaker hood is just bad ass plus you don't see that many Mach 1's. Give me an azure blue with some widened, chromed stock rims, oh my my.

Users who are viewing this thread