Svt feels toward 2001 Cobra 03/04 Mach?

nxhappy

Established Member
I love a mach 1. The interior is awesome! Looks are perfect. Throw a t56 in and take that junker tr3650 out.

With a eibach pro kit and tinted windows and fr500's they are PURE SEX in DSG.

I agree .

PS- I just realized your Silverado goes 444 MPH :eek::rockon:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ive found too that Mach's are usually better taken care of and lower mileage than equally priced 99/01s. Like good luck finding a CL ad of a mach that looks mistreated with 120k, but damn, put in Cobra and you see a bunch of 99/01s that are like "dude, whyd you even post pictures? At least wash/clean your car first"

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
mach 1s are ugly. Not sure why anyone would be caught dead in one. :burn:

pepboys front chin spoiler + ralleye wheels from 1971 + shaker hood scoop = fail

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member

pepboys front chin spoiler + ralleye wheels from 1971 + shaker hood scoop = fail

Couldn't disagree more. I love some of the sweet Mach's here on the site - I think they look awesome. I just wish they would have made the T56 an option from the factory.

Thehubster

Established Member
The 01 Cobra and the Mach 1 one are basicly the same car. They have the exact same engine just tuned a little differently. ya the suspension set ups are different but come on in a straight line is there really a difference because a solid rear axle and an IRS. lets be honest that is what these cars are used for the most. Even then there is a car and driver article where they put the mach 1 and the SVT Cobra as well as an SVT Focus together in different challenges and the mach 1 got the best time in the autocross cause the cobra just had to much power and no way to get it to the ground. When it comes down to it, it is a personal preference. got the Mach 1 because I couldn't find the cobra in my price range. I am really happy I got it. its a great car! they are all great cars.

nxhappy

Established Member

WOW this is full of FAIL :bash:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
The Machs and 99/01 Cobras are good cars but why buy one knowing you'll have to do a motor swap to make big numbers when you can pay a bit more and have the terminator motor out of the gate

I did just because. :-D

Blown 89

Established Member
I love the 01. It's a steal of a car IMO. I had the choice of buying a termi or buying an 01 and saving 10 grand. $10 grand buys a lot of mods.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The 01 Cobra and the Mach 1 one are basicly the same car. They have the exact same engine just tuned a little differently. ya the suspension set ups are different but come on in a straight line is there really a difference because a solid rear axle and an IRS. lets be honest that is what these cars are used for the most. Even then there is a car and driver article where they put the mach 1 and the SVT Cobra as well as an SVT Focus together in different challenges and the mach 1 got the best time in the autocross cause the cobra just had to much power and no way to get it to the ground. When it comes down to it, it is a personal preference. got the Mach 1 because I couldn't find the cobra in my price range. I am really happy I got it. its a great car! they are all great cars.
It's more than just tuning……. try different cams and heads as well. So no, its not the same "exact" engine.
The article was against the Terminator, not the 99/01 and it wasnt really against it, they just said they got better numbers on that particular track with the Mach. It doesn't mean it is a better handling car, two big differnces.

I agree on being preference. I prefer the Cobra overall from the better looking seats (Mach's feel better though), the gauges, and the rims (I HATE the Mach rims). The Mach had easily the better colors though and that shaker :rockon:

4601S/C

Established Member

I didn't think anyone really disliked the way the Mach 1 looks. It may be the best looking New Edge Mustang Mustang IMO. Perfect blend of retro & modern. Doesn't get much better than an Azure Blue or Oxford White Mach 1:rockon:. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Oh, it was the heads and cams that made the 03's so much better than 01's... :lol:

99/01 Cobra's were ok for the time, but the 03 is lightyears better
Much nicer seats
Ummm. Blower.
Manley Rods
T-56 Vs 3650
Much stronger IRS
Wider, more aggressive wheels
Mirror's
Spoiler

If you wanted to build a turbo'd beast of a drag car, a 99/01 Cobra or Mach is a perfect car since you'd be replacing the irs, t56, and blower of an 03 anyway..

duh :poke:, OP asked about 01 vs 03/04 mach 1. not about he 03/04 cobra. but I guess you missed that part good going champ.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Blown Built motor with a better IRS, fuel system and a T-56?

Lets be honest here, the only thing that truly matters in that list is the transmission.

If you're talking about absolute stock cars here, yes the blower is cool and yes the fuel system is adequate enough for the higher output of the 03/04 Cobra engine.

However if you're talking about doing substantial modifications, throw those out the window. Even on a Terminator, past a ported blower you're looking at fuel system upgrades. The same upgrades which you would be doing to the 99/01 Cobra. Same parts, same prices.

Same thing with the IRS. The terminator has upgraded CV's and more splines on the half shafts. Again, if you're modifying to support large numbers, you're going to do either swapping a solid or going with aftermarket bushings, half shafts, cv's etc. Same deal with as the fuel system.

The T56, definitely, it's nicer to have, but not worth the price difference in the cars alone.

Don't get me wrong, the Terminator is excellent! I've owned both. I found as an all around car and especially one that gets pushed on the track, the 99 was the better choice for me.

Anyway this is about the 03/04 Mach vs the 99/01 cobra. The way I've always put it is like this.

If you're interested in doing track day stuff where you want a peaky engine and a bit better handling. Go for the 99/01

If you're more interested in drag racing, go for the Mach 1.

Another thing to consider is the Mach 1 can be had with an auto. For some people that's important.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I love the 01. It's a steal of a car IMO. I had the choice of buying a termi or buying an 01 and saving 10 grand. $10 grand buys a lot of mods.

LOL, just, no.

$10k in mods to a 99/01 will not net you $20k 03/04 Cobra results.

You cannot get a built motor, power adder, T56 and a whole gamut of other differences for $10k. Sure you can throw on a vortech or something for a tune of $4-5k when all is said and done, but you still dont have a built motor or tranny to hold it past that.

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
owned both, 04 Mach and 01 Cobra. Mach>Cobra

different heads, cams, better rear gear, i had a late 01 so it had the 3650 as well so i can't really comment on the trans.

stock for stock the Mach was a bit quicker, and it had slightly better low end torque so it also felt much quicker. it was factory rated with 15 less HP than the Cobra, but that wasn't really the case.

regardless, i'd take either at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread