Stock 03/04 Clutch life ?

How many miles have you got out of your 03/04 Cobra clutches?

• 0-10000

Votes: 95 20.4%
  • 10000-12500

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • 12500-25000

Votes: 141 30.3%
  • 25000-35000

Votes: 188 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota318

Banned
4,500 on mine right now... had the car since new, 0 miles and 4 months ago. 20 some passes at the track and doing just fine.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Update on mine. At 18,500 miles mine went up in smoke on my first pass with all the new horsepower. Lots of abuse on the stocker though 25+ drag passes, a weekend of road racing and driven hard on the street so I can't complain. I'm just getting done breaking in the CF DF i just put in and I'm off to our local SVTOA track rental Sunday to see how much better my 1/4 mi. times are with a good clutch.

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Crushed mine in under 3,000 miles. That is with 50+ passes dropping b/t 5-6K rpm. It would hold up thru the 1/8, then after that it was causing me about 3-4/10th. Was able to determinw this by looking at a few other guys slips. Both running same 1/8th mph and times, then them running 5-7 mph and minimum 3/10th quicker. Now breaking the CF DF. Hell up on the with only 250 miles it held up. Noe time for some new slips.

KC

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
still good

I have 17k miles on my car and it still grabs fine, and I dont abuse the car.... BUT..... I just started having the TOB squealing issue and I am worried about bringing the car in and/or how long will the clutch last with this squeal if I don't bring the car in? its not loud now but noticeable.
any help or ideas or suggestionson dealerships?? thanks, (Cary, NC)

oh and all I have on for now is the exhaust and Cold Air

Romans8:28

Established Member
87whitevert said:
I have 17k miles on my car and it still grabs fine, and I dont abuse the car.... BUT..... I just started having the TOB squealing issue and I am worried about bringing the car in and/or how long will the clutch last with this squeal if I don't bring the car in? its not loud now but noticeable.
any help or ideas or suggestionson dealerships?? thanks, (Cary, NC)

oh and all I have on for now is the exhaust and Cold Air

I have heard Capitol Ford is good and have been told to avoid Crossroads, but who knows for sure (people usually only post negative comments)

seanwr400

Established Member
17,000 and clutch still lookes good when it came out, but was slipping when I tried the juice. Stock clutch just didn't have enough clamping force to hold the 547 ftlbs I am making at the wheels.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
not even 5k, once I went over 500/500 and improved traction on the car all I had to do was floor it to smell the clutch. traction was actually the real killer, before that tires would just spin and the clutch was doing ok.

I do a lot of stop and go traffic as well which seems to do more damage then racing it lol.

tankerman1981

Established Member
got 27,xxx on mine sand still feels good.... no real problems yet but due to get it looked over for maintance so we will see what comes of that soon enough hopefully nothing wrong cause I don't know what i would do without my cobra to drive.... everything else just doesn't seem right anymore

JSHTROD

Established Member
55k on mine, and it seems to be fine

:shrug:

Lots of stop and go traffic. Although I do drive it easy...

hmwave

Established Member
Get your old parts when you get a replacement. I'm turning my stock flywheel into a shop clock.

Last edited:

04yellowcobra

Established Member
18.5k holds on the street with the stock eagle F1s, slips at the track on the F1s and REALLY slips on the ET streets.

tankerman1981

Established Member
mine was absolutely fine till bout 2 hrs ago when it starting squealing like a stuck pig and then saw smoke from by the back firewall and smelled like a burnt tranny or clutch.... and of course i looked at the odometer and what you know.... just over 36,000 miles....NO MORE WARRANTY!!!!!!

Will find out tomorrow what is up

tankerman1981

Established Member
update yall......

just got my cobra back and it is sooo good to finally have my baby back... and let me tell you I don't know how I drove it sooo long with the clutch before... I mean it was pretty bad and the TOB was...well I can't even describe it really...

anyways all is well and good now so it's time to see what else I can break... :bash: :bash: :bash:

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
My clutch was replaced under warranty around 8K miles and the car now has 37K on it......so about 29K on the stock clutch so far. I know the previous owner put about 15 track passes on it and I've put at least 50.....and boosting daily. It feels pretty soft compared to other terminators I've driven....but it still grabs hard. Cut pretty consitant 1.8 60' on Nitto's the other day and never slipped....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread