Stock 03/04 Clutch life ?

How many miles have you got out of your 03/04 Cobra clutches?

• 0-10000

Votes: 95 20.4%
  • 10000-12500

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • 12500-25000

Votes: 141 30.3%
  • 25000-35000

Votes: 188 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

J15BIG

Established Member
34000 miles and counting.

im surprised, i have smoked the clutch pretty bad and by no means to I baby that car. Still feels new w/ no sign of slipping.

Knock on wood

Duran

Matador
Established Member
26000 on stocker. 2.76 pulley with tune about 470ish hp and over 500tq, about 3K mile with that setup. Still going strong. One time though; when I first got my Cobra back from having the new mods tuned. I did a highway run to about 145mph; then quickly exited. Right after on the feeder street I let her rip from a stand still and since I just got off the freeway the nitto DR were hot and sticky so they grabbed like a mofo. I slammend the gears untill half way through forth gear. Stopped at the light and I can smell the clutch. That only happened to me once and never happened to me again.

Last edited:

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
mine did not slip at all.....it engauged funny...and chattered.
it had life in it but the damn thing does not seem to be that heavy duty??

yeah i had that chatter coming from my flywheel, had to get it resurfaced, my stock clutch didnt last long, but I have made several trips to the track, running with sticky tires :rolling:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
so I have said my clutch has held up fine and it has... sort of.
I have about 28k on it and today I was traveling home from work and I had a severe case of clutch slippage. I have Nitto 315s on my car and I was driving in 95 degree heat for 30 minutes some cruising and some stop and go traffic. I get close to home and I decide to give it a spirited ROMP, I am traveling 20mph or so and I put the car in 2nd gear, rev to about 4500, and let the clutch out and stomp on the gas..... well.... I did not lose traction at all and instead I saw my RPMs go up and my car was "catching" up. I could clearly smell the clutch afterward at the next stop light.

Car drove fine the rest of the way home (about 3 minutes) and there was a slight smell of burning clutch in my garage when I went inside.

Love the car, looks like I will be replacing the clutch before getting ported blower

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
500 ponies here and after killing this 450hp supra from 40 to 140 twice I had issues putting the car into gears but not much. Just thought the stock clutch couldnt handle much of that-Shane

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
At 52K and on my 4th clutch. The first 2 were stock Fords. the 3rd just went and it was a Spec Stage 3. This time I am going with the Ram Powergrip HD

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
50k miles here still on stocker.
about time for a new one though. I went to the track(1/8th mile) this past weekend and made a few passes.

1.833 60ft
7.70 at 93 with 315 nitto dr's

heavy vert with heavy driver and stereo system lol

BlownAway03

Established Member
I've got 54,000 miles on mine, never had a problem. I just put down 512/533 hp and tq. I'm running between 17-18 psi of boost with a port, upper and lower pullies, exhaust and CAI.

apache driver

Established Member
I got about 25k out of mine. My TOB retainer broke, so I decided to upgrade to a 26 spline set-up. Other than the broken TOB retainer, my stock stuff still looked really good when I took it out.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
lol this sux to say but at 67k miles, a few launches, daily abuse from traffic and what not, my clutch still grips hard, i could shake s tooth lose with my car.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Mine just died last night. Over 39,000 miles, 30k of it on my current setup, around 20 N2O bottles worth all over 100hp pills, several 150 shots. Died while roasting the tires in third on a damp road.:nonono:

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
What exactly is the tob squeel I was having clutch/tranny problems so I replaced the clutch and found it was down to the rivets and there were 4-5 heat spots the car had just over 20k miles and I am the 2nd owner however this was a spec 3 clutch. After replacing the clutch I was still having vibration issues at low rpms in any gear and a squeel is back when starting out in first. Sorry if this post doesn't make any sense I'm at work and am in a hurry.

crizzut

Established Member
olchakla said:
At 52K and on my 4th clutch. The first 2 were stock Fords. the 3rd just went and it was a Spec Stage 3. This time I am going with the Ram Powergrip HD

heard the Ram chatters less than other aftermarket clutches. That true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread