Stock 03/04 Clutch life ?

How many miles have you got out of your 03/04 Cobra clutches?

• 0-10000

Votes: 95 20.4%
  • 10000-12500

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • 12500-25000

Votes: 141 30.3%
  • 25000-35000

Votes: 188 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a chatter in my cluch and TOB noise.
The Ford guys said I needed a new Clutch assm. And a NEW Updated TOB Sleeve assm.
When it was done (and after I got over the fact that the lot boy backed a golf cart into my Cobra!!!!) I asked to see it. It was TOAST. I have changed many clutches in my life and never have I seen a Fly wheel with so many HOT SPOTS....And the disk was Almost down to the rivets. (BTW...anyone know why the pressure plate is deeply cut and threaded twards the center??) the tech said thats how the cobra cluch was made, but could not tell me why!
Any way my question is how many miles Hve you brother (and sister) cobra owners got out of your clutches?:burnout:
Mine only had 8905 miles!
And yes, I do know how to drive and no, it was not abused!
They sure do not seem to be able to hold the torqe these cars make for long. What do you think?:shrug:

Last edited:

stevieb

Established Member
At 7400 mine developed a chatter that got so bad it was like trying to take off in 3rd gear. I had the tob squeel about 10 times in the last 3k, so I took it in and the tech tried to tell me how to drive and there was nothing wrong with the car.
I know the service mgr, took him for a ride and he agreed to go in and look at the tob since I reported the squeel and update it, then theyll look at the clutch while theyre in there.
It was funny when I brought the car in, the writer couldnt believe this was the only repair required (first time in too). So after day 1 no call from the dealer.....hmm must have found something I guess.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03soniccobra01
I had a chatter in my cluch and TOB noise.
The Ford guys said I needed a new Clutch assm. And a NEW Updated TOB Sleeve assm.
When it was done (and after I got over the fact that the lot boy backed a golf cart into my Cobra!!!!) I asked to see it. It was TOAST. I have changed many clutches in my life and never have I seen a Fly wheel with so many HOT SPOTS....And the disk was Almost down to the rivets. (BTW...anyone know why the pressure plate is deeply cut and threaded twards the center??) the tech said thats how the cobra cluch was made, but could not tell me why!
Any way my question is how many miles Hve you brother (and sister) cobra owners got out of your clutches?:burnout:
They sure do not seem to be able to hold the torqe these cars make for long. What do you think?:shrug:

I had the same exact problem at 3700 miles.....brought it in for a chattering noise and the mechanic said the clutch looked like a cheetah....

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
16 000 kms and it's finished. Nittos, maybe a 100 passes and a heavy vert = clutch gone bad. All good, time to get a new input shaft and better clutch.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
27,000 miles and going strong. 6 runs down the 1/4, three with a 2.80 pulley, and three with a 2.80 and ported blower with multiple runs off the track all with a 2.80/ported blower. So far the clutch shows no signs of slippling at all :thumbsup:

mine did not slip at all.....it engauged funny...and chattered.
it had life in it but the damn thing does not seem to be that heavy duty??

stevieb

Established Member
Update,
My clutch is fine, The chatter was a cracked front bearing retainor and I am getting a brand spanking new trans!:beer:

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
19k w/ ~ 60 1/4 track runs. I think it was the 2nd gear auto-x launches that killed me. I was impressed w/ the stock clutch. RIP.
New Centerforce went in yesterday.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
More. I am at 24,000 miles with 6 hours of track time at Road Atlanta - that is a lot of heel-toe downshifts. No problems yet - original clutch going strong.

TargeT

Established Member

:bs:

My TOB started chattering bad @ 19k miles, by 20k the pedal started kicking back at my foot, took it in, TOB retaining sleave was bad, new trans for me :D , but now my TOB is chattering again.. in she goes on tuesday.....

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by TargeT

:bs:

My TOB started chattering bad @ 19k miles, by 20k the pedal started kicking back at my foot, took it in, TOB retaining sleave was bad, new trans for me :D , but now my TOB is chattering again.. in she goes on tuesday.....
Im curious as to what reason they gave you for needing a new trans.
they told me my frt bearing retainer (tob sleeve, same thing) cracked and the front bearing beat the main case. Ford knows theres a problem with these and thats why Ford wont sell the dealer a sleeve or a new case, just sending them a new trans. I told them keep em coming and please dont forget to tighten everything when they're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread