Stock 03/04 Clutch life ?

How many miles have you got out of your 03/04 Cobra clutches?

• 0-10000

Votes: 95 20.4%
  • 10000-12500

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • 12500-25000

Votes: 141 30.3%
  • 25000-35000

Votes: 188 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
got a few ? on this subject,

1.Will a bad TOB cause a clutch to chatter?
2.Will clutch chatter cause premature wear?
3. Shouldnt for replace the clutch as long as the car is under warranty if the premature wear was caused by the TOB causing the clutch to chatter?

Okay, If I take my car into the dealership for a sticking caliper, which caused the brake pads to wear down extremely fast, will ford replace the caliper, pads, and rotor?
and if so wouldnt the same apply to the clutch?

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
I have 45K on mine with no issues other than the TOB with heavy drag racing use since 3200 miles. I'll be changing it out when I go to the 26 spline input and output shafts.

It made it to 55K miles and still felt good when she went into the shop for the tranny upgrade. The shop said it was completely gone. The new CF DF oughta do well, enough to pull the wheels? We'll see.

Last edited:
03SilverCoupe said:
got a few ? on this subject,

1.Will a bad TOB cause a clutch to chatter?
2.Will clutch chatter cause premature wear?
3. Shouldnt for replace the clutch as long as the car is under warranty if the premature wear was caused by the TOB causing the clutch to chatter?

Okay, If I take my car into the dealership for a sticking caliper, which caused the brake pads to wear down extremely fast, will ford replace the caliper, pads, and rotor?
and if so wouldnt the same apply to the clutch?

Both the clutch and breaks were replaced on mine. Run-out will cause premature wear and that is why both mine were replaced! :beer:

Lprimo

PhotoChop Cookie Masta
Established Member
good luck with stock Throw out bearing....you'll be in there soon to change it, might as well upgrade to a Centerforce, and get a 26 spline input shaft also. Ford Engineers were right, the same Throw out bearing that worked on the V6 and V8 GT models will work on the Cobra...just wont last over 25k miles...unless your a mod free momas boy! :poke:

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
Both the clutch and breaks were replaced on mine. Run-out will cause premature wear and that is why both mine were replaced! :beer:

The run-out on the driveshaft? Im sorry Im just a little confused about your post.

03soniccobra01 said:

"The run-out on the driveshaft? Im sorry Im just a little confused about your post."

:beer:

mcflysvt04

Established Member
20k in 11 months clutch is fine but tranny rear end all messed up. Day 4 in dear and now idea of whats wrong. My 99 did 85,000 miles before the clutch needed replacement. That included many bumper to bumper rush hour traffic rides to and from work. Tranny slipped out of gear then wouldnt move. Got car moving about 20 minutes later but when I went to back into the garage seems like rear end started to lock up again. Had to be flat bedded to the dealer. Anybody have this happen to them?

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Almost 3 yrs and 23k. No tob noise. But I figure its getting time, broke the gas pedal 2 wks ago and a clutch cable today. I'm looking into the centerforce new d/f less effort holds good so far per reports. I've been hard on it city driving and lots of launches so i'm sure its getting worn. With improved ford parts and lighter clutch should last longer.

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
Mine was toast at 10k miles, so was the flywheel, scorched down to the rivets from 502 rwhp and 560 torque and I know how to drive, balls out, unfortunately. Put in a McCloud racing flywheel and clutch, and 26 slpine IS, ( 150 mile break in) 1 pass and it overheated and seized up in gear, cooled off and I got er home, whats the deal here?

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Might want to go over to modularfords terminator section check out the new centerforce dfx posts. It sounds good anyway. :rockon:

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
Well heres the deal, took the cover off and my new McCloud 600 hp racing clutch fell out on the floor as dust from 1 pass. They said they would take it back, not sure what to put in now.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
im at about 30k now and starting to smell my clutch....will need replacing within next few thousand miles.

JerseySVT

Established Member
3500 on mine and its toast. I beat the piss out of my car though. Replacing it today or tomorrow with a CF DF. I don't plan on that lasting more then 5000 miles.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I've got over 55,000 miles on my stock clutch. Doing well other than engaging right off the floor. Looking into quadrant and adjuster from MM to fix that. I've drag raced it at least 40 times and drive it everyday.

hmwave

Established Member
I just had mine replaced at 33K/3yrs and the plate and flywheel looked in good condition. Through its life it had been smoked twice, once to the point of thick gray smoke rising from under the car.

The tech thought the stock disc would have lasted another 10-15K easy.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
hmwave said:
I just had mine replaced at 33K/3yrs and the plate and flywheel looked in good condition. Through its life it had been smoked twice, once to the point of thick gray smoke rising from under the car.

The tech thought the stock disc would have lasted another 10-15K easy.
If everything looked good then why was it replaced?

I have just over 19K on mine now and it still works great. That includes smoking it onces really bad in the burnout box (lifted a cloud) trying to do a second gear burnout thinking I was in water :nono:. I have the car apart right now and I'll take some pics, it will be going back together with the same clutch.

-Mike-

wickedred

Established Member
be damned. i go to the track on the DR's last night for one pass. toast the clutch. i have the car for slae and now the new owner gets a Spec Stg3 Clutch and Billet steel flywheeel.

13600 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread