Stock 03/04 Clutch life ?

How many miles have you got out of your 03/04 Cobra clutches?

• 0-10000

Votes: 95 20.4%
  • 10000-12500

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • 12500-25000

Votes: 141 30.3%
  • 25000-35000

Votes: 188 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i got 32,000 miles out of it and only changed it becuase the trans was being replaced.

the car has about 40 dragstrip passes on it and countless laps at several tracks and i suck at heel-toe so the clutch took a beating on every downshift at every corner of every lap.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
[QUOTE='03 Sonic Blue]Why launch in 2nd?[/QUOTE]

Traction. It's kinda like a torque convertor, only it burns up the clutch.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
[QUOTE='03 Sonic Blue]A little finesse using the pedal on the right is more economical :poke: :-D[/QUOTE]

True. Just harder to be consistent at the track with. I'll stick with keeping the clutch in the car. :beer:

03WhiteCobra

Established Member
Like many others, my clutch felt fine - never slipped. However, when I took my car in to have my tranny replaced at 12,000 miles they told me my clutch was pretty much gone. I went in to look at it and sure enough, it was toast. However, like I said, it felt good as new.

Brandon

smrtasp

Established Member
I had mine replaced at 18000 miles. I took in twice before for chattering and the dealer said it was a characteristic of the car and never really checked it out. I looked at the clutch after it was removed and couldnt believe how uneven the wear was. The car is mostly freeway driven (during non traffic hours) and has never been raced. Funny enough, my vibration has just about gone away and the wheel hop is nowhere near what it was before. This is my 3rd mustang and the first I have had to put a clutch in.

0103SVT

Established Member
We have 9300 miles on our 03 and when I drive it hard for a few minutes, not slamming gears but just getting on it and letting off, the clutch starts to make a sqeal noise. It goes away when I let out on the peddal and push it back in a couple times. Took it to Ford and they couldn't get it to make the noise. It acts fine when driving normal with no noise. Any thoughts on what it could be?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
00WS602GT said:
We have 9300 miles on our 03 and when I drive it hard for a few minutes, not slamming gears but just getting on it and letting off, the clutch starts to make a sqeal noise. It goes away when I let out on the peddal and push it back in a couple times. Took it to Ford and they couldn't get it to make the noise. It acts fine when driving normal with no noise. Any thoughts on what it could be?

TOB.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
do our 03/04's have shatter shields for the clutch? and also are all you guys powershifting?

xason

10 seconds isn't cheap
Established Member
It all depends how you treat it. If you drop the clutch at high RPMs a lot, burn out, ride it, etc. it will have a short life.

CobrABoZ

Established Member
i have 500+ rwhp and i havent been to the track yet will my stock clutch hang with that much power.

98BlkCobraVert

Established Member
CobrABoZ said:
i have 500+ rwhp and i havent been to the track yet will my stock clutch hang with that much power.

Andrew said you told him you had the same clutch setup as me, what's up? If you do still have your stock clutch and 500+ it won't last long at the track.

CobrABoZ

Established Member
i do have a new clutch just curious as too the clutch life with that much power.since the thread was talking about stock clutchs.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
CobrABoZ said:
i do have a new clutch just curious as too the clutch life with that much power.since the thread was talking about stock clutchs.

you dont drive good enough to work the clutch out and hurt it, youll be ok. Ive been 7.25@99 on my stocker

smrtasp

Established Member
18,000 and mine was replaced. Clutch and flywheel looked horrible. Lots of hot spots on the flywheel and half the clutch was down to the rivets. I took it on for what I thought was the TOB and ended up with a complete clutch. Dealer wouldnt warranty it either so I put better parts in. Feels so much better than it used to. While I was irritated at having to do it so early, Im glad I did because its 100% better than it was.

chempowr

Established Member
Is the TOB covered under warranty or will they say the clutch and all components are not covered. My clutch doesn't slip but I have the clutch pedal vibration. I will do it myself if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread