Start 'N Charge alternators 03-04 only please!

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
I dont know anything about them.:shrug:BUT,looking at the picture the stator appears to be painted with insulating varnish rather than natural red/orange coated wire like a "new" one should be. & i dont like the steel battery post extension,it should be brass/copper.I had 1 of the steel ones burn thru & dont use them anymore.:-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've seen those on eBay before and always wondered how well constructed they were. Thanks for the info Jamie.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What are the tall tell signs that the alt is going out or gone besides it just not starting one day or you fuel pump not getting adequate power leaning you out

TRBO VNM

Jamie,

I know right now I don't need an alt., but I have a factory spare in case I need it. Can it be sent to you for a rebuild/upgrade? Can you send me a pm in regards to pricing? Is it cheaper if I send you one to reman instead?

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
Jamie, I have one of your alternators. I installed it this last spring, so I haven't had an opportunity to put a lot of mileage on it, but so far it is working perfect for me and has solved all of my charging issues I had before. After talking to you I did purchase a larger 3.2 pulley to slow it down some. I appreciate all the help you provided me when I originally contacted you regarding my charging woes. Thanks, Jason

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

steve5575

Established Member
I've been running Jamie's alt for a couple years now. The first one he sent me lasted for several months before the pulley nut backed off and jacked some stuff up. Jamie being the guy he is replaced it no questions asked AND paid for the shredded belt (i ripped up your check because the fact that you wrote that check was good enough for me).

After 80k miles and on my fourth alt (2nd from Jamie) I still see alt issues. This is my daily driver and drive like a normal human being. With the lights off idling in the morning I can watch the odometer dim and brighten and the bearings have a fairly quiet howl to them. I contacted Jamie a while back and he said he could replace the bearing for $30+shipping. This makes it very difficult for me since it is my DD. I think when I get ambitious I will have a couple bearings shipped my way and I will just press them in myself so my down time is hours instead of days.

All in all Jamie's is great to deal with. He may have a much more stout unit that the parts stores but we still need to deal with Fords pour mounting location. If someone could come up with a better mounting bracket and location for better air flow would be king.

** 91,000 mile edit **

Everything is still going strong. The bearings still need to be replaced but its not a bugging me so I just leave it well enough alone.

I will admit that I pretty much granny the car around town and never drive it above 5,800 RPM. With that said, the alt doesn't see excessive RPM but here in Austin the ambient temp might get up to the 105's. I've read that heat and RPM will kill these things.

*** 92,700 mile edit ***

She's dead!

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
I've been through 2 Ford remanufactured alternators and am on my 2nd start n' charge. I had one of the earlier models where the epoxy on the windings was subpar. It lasted 3 months(<1000 miles) before dying(on 34th st in NYC ugh!) Jamie identified the issue and sent a replacement. I've been running the replacement for a good 5k miles and so far so good. I may swap it out for an externally regulated 180A unit and keep Jamie's as a spare.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Jamie,

I know right now I don't need an alt., but I have a factory spare in case I need it. Can it be sent to you for a rebuild/upgrade? Can you send me a pm in regards to pricing? Is it cheaper if I send you one to reman instead?

I get this question a lot.For the 160amp upgrade,i would gut your unit only reusing the housings.Those are the cheapest parts,only saving you $25 which is about what you'd spend in shipping it to me.
If you want a stock rebuild to 110amps,yes it would save you some money:beer:

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
I get a lot of requests for rebuilt stock units but have no cores available to me locally.If you have an '03-'04 Cobra alternator core you'd like to get rid of i'm buying them for $25+$15 shipping to me in a USPS flat-rate box.Send me yours & i give you $40:beer:
PM me if you want to sell one,thanks!:pepper:

keith89

Established Member
I get a lot of requests for rebuilt stock units but have no cores available to me locally.If you have an '03-'04 Cobra alternator core you'd like to get rid of i'm buying them for $25+$15 shipping to me in a USPS flat-rate box.Send me yours & i give you $40:beer:
PM me if you want to sell one,thanks!:pepper:

What do you use from the cores? I have one that is opened up but not completely back together.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
What do you use from the cores? I have one that is opened up but not completely back together.

Everything except the rectifier,regulator,bearings,battery extension and rear bearing cup.As long as the stator leads on yours arent broken Keith,i might still be interested:beer:Shoot me a pic of what you have [email protected]
Thanks!

Tractionless1

Established Member
Everything except the rectifier,regulator,bearings,battery extension and rear bearing cup.As long as the stator leads on yours arent broken Keith,i might still be interested:beer:Shoot me a pic of what you have [email protected]
Thanks!

I have an OEM unopened and functional unit. If you need some just pay shipping and it's yours.

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
well took it off, and seems the shaft is broke in two. talked to him today and sent it back for repairs so will see whats jacked up. if it can break, seems it will happen to me here lately.... lol.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
my stock one is still alive after 10 years and 32K miles. I do have a high pitched whine when using my ipod connector. Does your unit cure/reduce that?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
well took it off, and seems the shaft is broke in two. talked to him today and sent it back for repairs so will see whats jacked up. if it can break, seems it will happen to me here lately.... lol.

That's great that you're being taken care of. Jamie takes a lot of pride in his alternators.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Since this is Jaime's thread, I'll post a question for him that I have seen discussed in different alternator threads:

What about building a mounting bracket to relocate the alternator to a better spot to help deal with the "heat" issue? :shrug:
I saw in one thread about a bracket designed for converting non-supercharged 4V to supercharged and with it there was a bracket that put the alternator in a different location.

Users who are viewing this thread