Start 'N Charge alternators 03-04 only please!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
If you are a DIY type, rebuilding an alternator isn't too entirely difficult, especially since there are companies out there that sell the parts. Also, there are usually rebuild shops that can be found local to most people that will do the same thing. Had mine upgraded from the factory 105A to 160A by a place nearby, but also picked up a lightly used OEM alternator that I'll upgrade on my own.

Here's a link on ModFords with all kinds of info, including a video on the rebuild process:

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/235857-Terminator-quot-Alternator-101-quot

Also, the Terminator alternator is just a V-6 unit with a different battery cable post and pulley (8-rib). The V-6 alternators can be found easily, and with a swap of those two items, you have one for a Terminator.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
WOW!! Watching that video made me cringe & laugh at the same time.:bash:
There are so many errors I don't think I can name them all.
Never ever hammer in a bearing,allways use a press.Both inner & outer races need equal pressure to insure the roller balls stay true.
The stator is pressed into the housing,his was prepped to fall into place,you'll never be able to just tap the housing to get one out or in.
Never use oil or grease anywhere near the brushes,,,for any reason.
The rear tolerance ring is not a reusable part & his assembly process is completely wrong for the rear bearing/housing.
The guy is one of those hacks that give us real rebuilders a bad name.
Good luck trying to do one yourself,I'd recommend not to,support your local rebuilder not some idiot youtube or "kit" seller.;-)

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
WOW!! Watching that video made me cringe & laugh at the same time.:bash:
There are so many errors I don't think I can name them all.
Never ever hammer in a bearing,allways use a press.Both inner & outer races need equal pressure to insure the roller balls stay true.
The stator is pressed into the housing,his was prepped to fall into place,you'll never be able to just tap the housing to get one out or in.
Never use oil or grease anywhere near the brushes,,,for any reason.
The rear tolerance ring is not a reusable part & his assembly process is completely wrong for the rear bearing/housing.
The guy is one of those hacks that give us real rebuilders a bad name.
Good luck trying to do one yourself,I'd recommend not to,support your local rebuilder not some idiot youtube or "kit" seller.;-)

The gist of the video is that the insides of an alternator are not that complicated. People with the right tools will know what needs to be done properly because they have the correct tools in the first place. Having watched the local rebuilder take one apart and spell out all the details, as well as rebuilding two on my own already, I can also vouch as to how straightforward the process is. Doesn't mean everyone will tackle it, just there as an FYI.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
There's are reasons why I don't do some things myself. Not having the right tools ranks up there along with not knowing the correct procedure.

"A man's got to know his limitations." ~Harry Callahan

Jamie, I got my alternator rebuilt locally (so I could get my car running and get my wife surgically removed from my back :rolling:). When you get back on your feet, please let me know since I still want one of your alternators. :beer:

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
Hope everything gets worked out for you Jamie. Im sure you will have your work cut out for you once you can begin rebuilding again. I am like others and my battery light just came on with a start n charge alternator and would like you to work your magic to get my car on the road again soon.

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
My start n charge Alt. went out on me a few weeks ago w/less then 7xxx miles :mj: I herd Jamie was out because of health issues so i decided to purchase one from my local Ford dealer and they gave me a 2 year warranty. So far so good.

Limon_Svt

Established Member
Hey jamie was wondering if you could take a look at and rebuild my start n charge unit I bought from you a couple years back and how much you would charge? Thanks and hope you're well

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Sorry guys,I'm done,shut down,selling my equipment & retired...not by my choice.The health issue is not going to get any better from what I've been told.
I will be moving next spring & if by some miracle I'm better after that,you might just see me pop back up in limited mode.I rally hate having nothing to do other than chores.
I would like to thank all of you for your support over the years,especially the frustrated guys who stood with me while getting these units fine tuned.
I've been asked by many of you if I can recommend any other brand to use.Sadly at this time I can't unless you find an OEM Motorcraft on a shelf somewhere.
Take care & enjoy your Terminators!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread