So The Prius Is Pretty Freaking Awesome!!!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I wanna know what the repairs cost when these things hit 100k, and to make up for the increased cost you better be driving more than the average person and hit that mark sooner than most

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
diesel cost a little more than 87 so 50mpg from a diesel still cost you a lot more than 52 mpg from a gaser.

do the prius do well on the highway thought the gas milage was better around town than on highway.

right up until you replace the batteries in the Prius.

bglf83

Established Member
I believe on the Highway at cruising speed, the VW will get better MPG than the Prius.

I read this in a review a while back, the reviewer stated that the Prius never achieved its rated MGG on the highway.

7.62x51

Established Member
Me and my fiance are considering the 2010+ Ford Fusion Hybrid. It's a Ford, they look good and get 41+ MPG and has plenty of room. Plus they aren't that expensive, even new:

fusion-hybrid---09_opt.jpg

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If you're commute is primarily highway, stay away from a hybrid of any make. There are plenty of high mileage gas/diesel misers that will cost you significantly less.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
People who have to use a car in terms of associating it with man hood, lack manhood.

I'd get one if it meant saving money in the long run. Back when I was commuting 180miles a day I would have LOVED to have one considering I was spending around 150$ a week in gas in a car that got 24-28MPG. Even with my CIVIC I could get good gas millage (42mpg was the best, ONCE) you have to TRY really hard to get it. And that means light shifting, sticking behind big trucks, staying under 70MPH, etc. I really doubt you have to put that much effort in the hybrids.

I looked at the GTI's and couldn't get over the plaid seats.

Last edited:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
yea uh the entire hybrid concept is to maximize city MPG, hwy mpg is more of an after thought. If your 160 mile commute is somehow city dominated (and god help you if it is) then go for it! If not a hwy mileage king is your best bet.

boatcop1

Established Member
TDI
Civic
Corolla
Fusion Hybred
Focus
Fiesta (if you dare)
Elantra
Cruze

All of the above will get you 35mpg's or above on the highway and will be cheap to maintain.

But it's your money!:??:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TDI
Civic
Corolla
Fusion Hybred
Focus
Fiesta (if you dare)
Elantra
Cruze

All of the above will get you 35mpg's or above on the highway and will be cheap to maintain.

But it's your money!:??:

That's a good list Steve.

My personal choice would be a 2011-2012 Hyundai Elantra. Aggressive and modern styling similar to the 2011-2012 Sonata. It's rated at 29 in the city and 40 on the highway (33 combined). Loaded, the Elantra Limited goes for around $23K. Not bad. That includes A/C, upgraded audio, navigation, backup camera, etc.

black 10th vert

Established Member
A vagina that plugs into the wall for short trips. :shrug:

(if it's a 2012)

Wait, what?:??: We literally just returned a 2012 Prius this evening that my wife has had for the past week, and there is no electrical plug in! It is a HYBRID, not an electric car! I absolutely hated the way it looked, but it is a really cool cool car technologically. There were times on a trip to Maine last weekend, it went as high as 75 mpg! Unlike the old hybrids (she has had 2 previous Civic hybrids), The car would really zip along pretty well. If it wasn't so damn ugly, I wouldn't mind it for a DD.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i'm not going to lie, when i see a prius it takes just about all the self-restraint i have to avoid the unbearable urge to ram it off the road with whatever i'm driving at the time--even my vette.

christ, buy a tdi jetta. buddy has an '07 that has nearly 200k miles on it. runs like a top with zero issues.

black 10th vert

Established Member
People who have to use a car in terms of associating it with man hood, lack manhood.

I'd get one if it meant saving money in the long run. Back when I was commuting 180miles a day I would have LOVED to have one considering I was spending around 150$ a week in gas in a car that got 24-28MPG. Even with my CIVIC I could get good gas millage (42mpg was the best, ONCE) you have to TRY really hard to get it. And that means light shifting, sticking behind big trucks, staying under 70MPH, etc. I really doubt you have to put that much effort in the hybrids.

I looked at the GTI's and couldn't get over the plaid seats.

I totally agree with your first statement, and clearly it is because most of the posters are in the 18-25 age bracket, where their self esteem IS their car. Once you get beyond that, then practicality comes first for a DD - especially when you have a hotrod Terminator for weekends.;-) Anyway, my wife normally drives a fully loaded CRV because she drives a shit ton of miles, and we needed something safe for the winter for her. She averages around 25 mpg, and gas is killing us! We literally spend $50 a day EVERY day on gas for her car alone, not counting my 14 mpg 5.0 Explorer, and I won't even comment on my Whippled Terminator.:rollseyes Believe me, having a car that she could drive for several days on $40 was a blessing! Like I said the car was butt ugly inmo, but it was damn cool while we had it.;-)

SCMOKN

Established Member
Me and my fiance are considering the 2010+ Ford Fusion Hybrid. It's a Ford, they look good and get 41+ MPG and has plenty of room. Plus they aren't that expensive, even new:

fusion-hybrid---09_opt.jpg

My brother has one and loves it. If I was going to a hybrid this would be the one.

Users who are viewing this thread