So, I did the Bronco thing

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I had a 4" superlift with Bilstein 5100's, the tires were 35x12.5R15 BFG KO2's on factory alcoas

The headlights were just ebay clear lights that I did a projector retrofit on back in like 2011 or so. A guy on the bronco forum used to sell retrofits similar to what I did, he went by TCM GLX, not sure if he's on there anymore.

Oh cool. I wasnt sure if the factory alcoas would be wide enought for 1150s or 1250s. Good to know.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Oh cool. I wasnt sure if the factory alcoas would be wide enought for 1150s or 1250s. Good to know.

They work simply because the sidewall is so tall. I also put an alcoa on the back as a spare with a 35 since some people who have put heavier 5th wheels on the tailgate spare tire carrier end up splitting the skin of the tailgate in half. My alcoas with 35's weighed less than the 33x12.5r15 BFG KO/Cragar soft 8 combo my brother ran on his 94 explorer at the time.

By the way, pacific green was a 1996 only color on eddie bauers (might have been 96 only in general, can't remember for sure) so it's probably the least common when it comes to green on these trucks.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
By the way, pacific green was a 1996 only color on eddie bauers (might have been 96 only in general, can't remember for sure) so it's probably the least common when it comes to green on these trucks.

I was wondering about this because in the OPs original pics it looks dark green like the Dark Forest Green that mine has, but in other pics it has a lighter tint to it so the Pacific Green has both dark and light elements to it depending on light. I never knew that.
Screenshot_20220211-095605_Gallery.jpg

1slo5ohh

Established Member
Just saw a clean ass OJ model on njtruckking. Super clean but 35K?! Damn lol

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Just saw a clean ass OJ model on njtruckking. Super clean but 35K?! Damn lol
Wow, used to go bracket racing with the neighbors. He had a '96 Bronco as a tow, hauling an open trailer with a '77 Vega Wagon. Never would I have thought they would shoot through the roof!

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Once the new Broncos were announced, the new ones went up like crazy. I expect them to keep going higher, demand is growing.

andymarkv

Established Member
So....this truck being a '96, is OBD2. Is it MAF or MAP? I know nobody wants to tune speed density stuff...but if its a MAF truck there may be the opportunity for a "real" tune?
I know its apples to oranges...but I was shocked how much a good tune on my stock '02 Crown Vic changed its drivability. I wonder if that's an option for you?

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
@DriftwoodSVT does your Bronco have an exhaust setup on it? Mine had Flowmasters when I bought it and it sounds so amazing on the 5.8! If it is still stock I would suggest doing exhaust.

It appears to be a stock exhaust. I have a Flowmaster on my 7.3L Tremor, and love it, so I definitely want something similar on this Bronco.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's good money, but the Reserve hasn't even been met yet. Wonder what the Reserve is? Maybe $30K?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It appears to be a stock exhaust. I have a Flowmaster on my 7.3L Tremor, and love it, so I definitely want something similar on this Bronco.

Definitely worth it. Mine has duel exhaust and the sound is probably my favorite thing about driving it. The 5.8 just sounds chunky regardless of the fact that it can barely get out of its own way lol.

andymarkv

Established Member
Do the OBS trucks respond to the same mods that the 5.0 Foxbodys did?
Run 93, pull the SPOUT connector & add 2-3 degrees of timing.(I've checked a couple of trucks back in the day and they were fairly retarded from the factory)
Is there an air silencer in the intake you can remove?
I doubt it does much...but it made my '88 notch FEEL quicker back in the day!

I think the hardest thing with older trucks is we've become so jaded with all V8's having around 400hp today...

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
My garage is filling up with parts!

Truck is at the shop today getting new plugs, wires, thermostat, coolant flush, and having the brakes and front end checked out.

I've been eyeing a 4" Rough Country lift for it as well...

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
I had a 4" superlift with Bilstein 5100's, the tires were 35x12.5R15 BFG KO2's on factory alcoas

The headlights were just ebay clear lights that I did a projector retrofit on back in like 2011 or so. A guy on the bronco forum used to sell retrofits similar to what I did, he went by TCM GLX, not sure if he's on there anymore.

Is this the guy for the headlights?

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Overhead console: a solder joint breaks on one of the resistors, 30 second fix once you pull it down. These are, I believe, 95/96 eddie bauer specific, rare piece but the guts are the same as a 2nd gen explorer console (which also fail the same way).

Steering looseness - consider getting a red head or blue top steering gear. I put a red head in mine and it made a drastic improvement in steering tightness and feel.
I had a new capacitor soldered on today at work. Going to hook it up when I get home and see if it works.

I also went ahead and ordered a Red-head steering box, my mechanic friend said mine definitely has some play. I was considering order a new steering shaft as well from here: 1992-1997 Borgeson Steering Shaft, Double U-Joint-Broncograveyard.com

Users who are viewing this thread