So, I did the Bronco thing

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Cleaned it up some today. Damn mud flaps are on tight. Need to sit in WD40 over night.

20220210_144747.jpg

20220210_144801.jpg

20220210_144811.jpg

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, it needs a few things.

Dash vents are busted up. Already ordered, easy fix.
Window vent handles are filthy. New ones ordered.

The 31s on it are pretty worn. And the spare is an unmatched 265.

The overhead console lights work, but the display does not.

Headlights are beyond saving. Tried to buff them with rubbing compound, no luck.

Like I said, minor stuff.

andymarkv

Established Member
Are you keeping the stock Alcoa's? I can understand if you want new wheels...but those things are so period correct and look flawless!
Can you throw on a small bolt-on spacer to get a better looking offset?
But they're fairly narrow...I think they're only 7" wide...?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Wow a twin of my old truck just like when I bought it back in 2009, sans the Yosemite sam mud flaps.

I saw this when it was live on BaT, didn't expect it to pop up here on SVTP.

Do yourself a favor and join fullsizebronco.com if you haven't already, lots of great info and a great group of guys over there. All the issues you described are an easy fix

Overhead console: a solder joint breaks on one of the resistors, 30 second fix once you pull it down. These are, I believe, 95/96 eddie bauer specific, rare piece but the guts are the same as a 2nd gen explorer console (which also fail the same way).

Steering looseness - consider getting a red head or blue top steering gear. I put a red head in mine and it made a drastic improvement in steering tightness and feel.

If you want to put bigger tires on it, the speedometer is reprogrammable just by jumping a plug under the dash with a paper clip and doing a little math. No reason to have an inaccurate speedo/odo in these trucks.

The E40D responds incredibly with a Punisher Valve Body (Gen 1 L guys know about this). I had one in my truck and it turned the trans from a slush box to snapping off shifts.

If you have any questions about things feel free to reach out. I sold my truck last year which I know I'll regret forever, especially because I could never afford to start from scratch again.

DSC_2650-X3.jpg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
No joke, I had a guy offer me 20k for mine in a store parking lot. He said he saw one sell for 22k that wasn't in as good of condition as mine nor an Eddie Bauer. He offered me 12k at first and just kept increasing the price to try and get me to sell.
Holy shit. I swear Broncos were like 4-5k maybe I dunno 5 years ago? Damn I should have bought a bunch.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sweet truck congrats!
Back off mud flaps and isotoner gloves come stock I thought?
-J

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Nice truck! As for the brakes, the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir looks like coffee. You might sove your pedal issue simply with a fluid flush (but of course I have not seen what the pads, rotors, and calipers look like).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a great find. Excellent price and you'll have to invest minimal money to take the overall condition a step or two even higher. It should serve you really well. Congratulations!

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Are you keeping the stock Alcoa's? I can understand if you want new wheels...but those things are so period correct and look flawless!
Can you throw on a small bolt-on spacer to get a better looking offset?
But they're fairly narrow...I think they're only 7" wide...?

I like the look, and think they are 7.5" wide. Not sure if I will keep them or not. I'd like to run 33s or 35s on 17 inch, but maybe can find something similar.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Have you tested the Auto lock 4x4? I know it was a known issue. Lots of people ended up putting manual locks on them like the F150.

I haven't tested it yet, but I do prefer the manual locks myself. My F250 Tremor has manual locks, and I've run Warn locks on other trucks in the past. Definitely prefer that route.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Wow a twin of my old truck just like when I bought it back in 2009, sans the Yosemite sam mud flaps.

I saw this when it was live on BaT, didn't expect it to pop up here on SVTP.

Do yourself a favor and join fullsizebronco.com if you haven't already, lots of great info and a great group of guys over there. All the issues you described are an easy fix

Overhead console: a solder joint breaks on one of the resistors, 30 second fix once you pull it down. These are, I believe, 95/96 eddie bauer specific, rare piece but the guts are the same as a 2nd gen explorer console (which also fail the same way).

Steering looseness - consider getting a red head or blue top steering gear. I put a red head in mine and it made a drastic improvement in steering tightness and feel.

If you want to put bigger tires on it, the speedometer is reprogrammable just by jumping a plug under the dash with a paper clip and doing a little math. No reason to have an inaccurate speedo/odo in these trucks.

The E40D responds incredibly with a Punisher Valve Body (Gen 1 L guys know about this). I had one in my truck and it turned the trans from a slush box to snapping off shifts.

If you have any questions about things feel free to reach out. I sold my truck last year which I know I'll regret forever, especially because I could never afford to start from scratch again.

DSC_2650-X3.jpg

Thats sharp looking. What sized lift is on that? Rim brand and size?

What headlights did you go with? Mine are faded awful, and rubbing compound did not make any difference. They need to be replaced.

I joined FSB a few days ago and have found some good info there so far.

Overhead console - I did find a thread about replacing a resistor. Hoping that is the issue. Seems like an easy fix.

I'll have to look into the Punisher Valve Body, not at all familiar with that.

Thanks for the info!

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Thats sharp looking. What sized lift is on that? Rim brand and size?

What headlights did you go with? Mine are faded awful, and rubbing compound did not make any difference. They need to be replaced.

I joined FSB a few days ago and have found some good info there so far.

Overhead console - I did find a thread about replacing a resistor. Hoping that is the issue. Seems like an easy fix.

I'll have to look into the Punisher Valve Body, not at all familiar with that.

Thanks for the info!

I had a 4" superlift with Bilstein 5100's, the tires were 35x12.5R15 BFG KO2's on factory alcoas

The headlights were just ebay clear lights that I did a projector retrofit on back in like 2011 or so. A guy on the bronco forum used to sell retrofits similar to what I did, he went by TCM GLX, not sure if he's on there anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread