Show me your shifter Knob

Nuar

Established Member
Guys, I need some advice.
I have the upgraded premium interrior that had the round silver shift ball.
The boot on that setup looks like this.

FD7270D4-4512-42EA-9AE1-3200059CBD6D-5146-00000630F800D708_zps0fbb8d29.jpg

i just got a similar knob to this one with an identical boot retainer.

RallyKnob.gif

HW3045.jpg

The retainer doesnt fit my boot... anyone go through this before?

Poppacapp

Established Member
Guys, I need some advice.
I have the upgraded premium interrior that had the round silver shift ball.
The boot on that setup looks like this.

FD7270D4-4512-42EA-9AE1-3200059CBD6D-5146-00000630F800D708_zps0fbb8d29.jpg

i just got a similar knob to this one with an identical boot retainer.

RallyKnob.gif

HW3045.jpg

The retainer doesnt fit my boot... anyone go through this before?

I would call the vendor about it. I know when I ordered my retainer from speeddawg, I had to specify a narrow, or wide opening retainer. Maybe they sent the wrong one to you.

Edit: and really all the retainer is for me is a spacer to fill the gap between knob and boot.. it doesnt hold it up.

Nuar

Established Member
I figured out what the deal is.
My 401A interior has a slightly different boot with a narrow opening. The retainer is for the regular premium interior with a wide opening.
Right now my knob is sitting on the boot itself, it looks stubby and not that comfortable.
IMAG0703_zpsd5a27192.gif

I ended up ordering the wide opening boot on ebay. I will replace it so I dont hack up my stock piece and everything should fit great.

This boot retainer is also a "jam nut" to help orient the shift ball correctly.

Poppacapp

Established Member
My 401A interior has a slightly different boot with a narrow opening. The retainer is for the regular premium interior with a wide opening.
Right now my knob is sitting on the boot itself, it looks stubby and not that comfortable.
IMAG0703_zpsd5a27192.gif

I ended up ordering the wide opening boot on ebay. I will replace it so I dont hack up my stock piece and everything should fit great.

There ya go... I figured it might have something to do with the narrow/wide boot thing.

iceknyght

Established Member
IMAG0703_zpsd5a27192.gif

I had a similar problem... I ordered the Speed Dawg shifter ball and that adapter, not paying attention that the 401a and regular interiors had different boots... So, I bought the correct adapter from Speed Dawg (but unfortunately, they are on vacation until next week), so I also ordered on from Ebay (Black 2010 Mustang Shift Knob Boot Retainer Adapter for Manual Shifter M12x1 25 | eBay) and it works fine. I'll try the Speed Dawg one when it comes in to see which one I like the best (not really sure what the difference is), but for now, at least I have the new shifter ball on and I can use it!

poof100

Established Member
It looks like I'm going to have the same problem as above. I have the CJ pony parts Boss shift knob and that same CJ pony parts retainer. However for my Boss 302, it looks like I have a similar "narrow" boot as the 401a interior cars and I have that narrow silver retainer. Looks like I'll need that narrow retainer. It would be nice to have CJ pony parts update their site to let us know that the retainer they sell is ONLY for standard GT interiors. :nonono:

iceknyght

Established Member
It looks like I'm going to have the same problem as above. I have the CJ pony parts Boss shift knob and that same CJ pony parts retainer. However for my Boss 302, it looks like I have a similar "narrow" boot as the 401a interior cars and I have that narrow silver retainer. Looks like I'll need that narrow retainer. It would be nice to have CJ pony parts update their site to let us know that the retainer they sell is ONLY for standard GT interiors. :nonono:

Yeah, when I bought the one from Speed Dawg, the normal adapter says it works for '05 and newer Mustangs (with no mention of the 401a interior), but the other adapter *does* mention the 401a interior (which I didn't even click on, since I saw the other one first). They really should have the verbiage on both pages...

Nuar

Established Member
Yup, thats exactly what happened to me. I got my stuff from cj pony parts as well.
They should specify in the description which adapter is for what and what it will not fit.

poof100

Established Member
I had a similar problem... I ordered the Speed Dawg shifter ball and that adapter, not paying attention that the 401a and regular interiors had different boots... So, I bought the correct adapter from Speed Dawg (but unfortunately, they are on vacation until next week), so I also ordered on from Ebay (Black 2010 Mustang Shift Knob Boot Retainer Adapter for Manual Shifter M12x1 25 | eBay) and it works fine. I'll try the Speed Dawg one when it comes in to see which one I like the best (not really sure what the difference is), but for now, at least I have the new shifter ball on and I can use it!

Thanks for that Ebay link, I ordered one today and it shipped out.

Yup, thats exactly what happened to me. I got my stuff from cj pony parts as well.
They should specify in the description which adapter is for what and what it will not fit.

Yeah, the description is pretty weak and needs to be updated, I plan to let them know.

iceknyght

Established Member
In case anyone wanted was interested, here's my Speed Dawg shifter with the Ebay adpater with the 401a interior boot:

DSC_0006_zpsae97a0ad.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsb3243139.jpg

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I like the MGW just don't like the pony, wish they offered just the 5.0 The upr shift knob offers the 5.0 on it but I believe it's only for 05-09 so no boot retainer for us. Hope upr can help us out.

there are many reasons the ups knob looks like an MGW and also is cheaper.

for one they BLATANTLY copied MY design verbatim by some import knockoff and the aluminum parts are just raw aluminum not triple chrome or pearly bright chrome.

we also pay ford royalties because its the right thing to do!

but we can easily laser etch 5.0 for anyone that wants it . all they have to do is call us up.

also we paid 3000 bucks for a rubber mold to make a proper fitting boot retainer insert for all years 2005-present. another reason our knobs cost more. we actually sell a complete solution.

George

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Boss with alcantra boot

48667710151120858578347.jpg

Is there anything in-between the Boss shifter and alcantara boot? I'm using my stock Boss shifter and GT500 boot but it doesnt look right. Like the boot is too long for the shifter and theres too much boot.

ForceofWill

Established Member

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

NOGI88

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread