Shipping Co Problems

Qwk GT

Established Member
Hi All,

Just purchased an 03 Cobra out of state and had to ship it. Originally it was scheduled for pickup 9-7-11 and delivered by 9-14. Called the day after it was picked up to get a copy of the vehicle condition report, and was told that they could ask the driver but since it already left probably wouldn't get it. Called to get an update tues 9-13 and was advised the car did not leave the shipping co's yard yet. Thinking about the car sitting in some lot worried me, so I again ask for the condition report.

Long story short, still have not received the report as they told me the driver left before they could get it. Am I just over reacting? I'm pretty pissed. Both about the delay and also not being told that the car was just sitting outside in some lot. Also got into a heated discussion with the manager and am worried about retaliation on my car. The car was supposed to be immaculate. Since I was out of state, I went off of pictures, and had a dealership go over the car, which they also agreed was very clean, great paint,ect.... Car is an 03 w/4k miles.

Anything else I can do/be worried about/watch out for? The car is supposed to be here this sat or sun.

Suggestions/Input appreciated.

Thanks,

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I assume the manager told you that the car definitely has shipped out. Sounded like they were stalling giving you that info, for whatever reason. But if they have confirmed the car has shipped, and you have a delivery date, you should be good to go. Be sure to check the car out VERY CAREFULLY before the driver leaves. You want to be absolutely certain there is no damage. I'm not trying to alarm you any more than you already are. Just encouraging you to be proactive when the car is delivered.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I've been down this road twice. Once was a great experience, the other not so great. Have the camera rolling as the truck pulls up, as they drop the door, and as they are pulling it out. Go over it with a fine tooth comb on camera. If you have a buddy, have them do it so you can focus on going over the car and don't sign ANYTHING until you are satisfied. Might want to have your cell phone handy so you can call the shipping company while the driver is still there. Once you sign the shipping receipt, it's your word against theirs.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Thought the condition report was what I'm supposed to compare this to. I guess thats why I've been trying to get this report, as I personally haven't seen the car in person. Only seen through pics.

Any other input/thoughts appreciated. Aren't you supposed to get a condition report before it ships?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Didn't you ask the shipper that question before you paid them? I thought based on your comments that you had asked the shipper repeatedly for the report, so I assumed you knew they were supposed to give you one. If you never asked then I would definitely call the shipper and ask again about the damage report. Log what they tell you. As recommended above, use a video camera and record the unloading of the car and do a complete walk around, with close-up on ANYTHING you deem as damage. Problem, though, is that you don't have any pre-ship report that defines any damage. If this shipping company is questionable it wouldn't be hard for them to put together a report after delivery that states any damage you might declare. I would have told the shipping company that you will refuse to accept delivery if they didn't send you a copy of the report. The next best thing now is that if you find any damage, call the shipping company and tell them you won't accept delivery unless they immediately fax the report to you. Yeah, there's a risk the shipper might then tell the driver to load it back up, but there is the possibility that the shipper won't end up paying for any damage done. I really do wish you well with this. Not having the report that they owned you is not good. Hopefully everything will work out fine for you. Just do what you have to do at this point, including the video taping when it is delivered. JMO.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I had a 73 Firebird Shipped from AZ to GA a few years ago. It took about 2 weeks. I say call them ask when the estimated delivery date is. If its not there by then, maybe contact someone lawyer maybe just to alert them about whats going on. Like stated deff go over the entire car before the person leaves. He should have a report from who he bought the car from. The seller goes over the car and lists if there is anything wrong with it and signs it. Then it goes with the driver for him to give to you so you can see. Atleast thats how they did mine.

and 1fast10 I see your in Sav me to.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Didn't you ask the shipper that question before you paid them? I thought based on your comments that you had asked the shipper repeatedly for the report, so I assumed you knew they were supposed to give you one. If you never asked then I would definitely call the shipper and ask again about the damage report. Log what they tell you. As recommended above, use a video camera and record the unloading of the car and do a complete walk around, with close-up on ANYTHING you deem as damage. Problem, though, is that you don't have any pre-ship report that defines any damage. If this shipping company is questionable it wouldn't be hard for them to put together a report after delivery that states any damage you might declare. I would have told the shipping company that you will refuse to accept delivery if they didn't send you a copy of the report. The next best thing now is that if you find any damage, call the shipping company and tell them you won't accept delivery unless they immediately fax the report to you. Yeah, there's a risk the shipper might then tell the driver to load it back up, but there is the possibility that the shipper won't end up paying for any damage done. I really do wish you well with this. Not having the report that they owned you is not good. Hopefully everything will work out fine for you. Just do what you have to do at this point, including the video taping when it is delivered. JMO.

When I got the quote, I asked about the condition report and they advised I would get a copy. This was done by phone however, so I don't have any email trail of the conversation. They picked the car up from the dealership late at night, and I called the next day after not receiving one. They said they could call the driver and have them fax it, but they were on their way.

I waited until when I called for an update and thats when I found out the car has not left. Thats when I started repeatedly asking for the report and the whole mess started. They claim the report is with the driver now on the road...

Update: Just called and all the guy said is to call back Monday. I asked about the report again and where the car was, said the paperwork is with the driver, called him but couldn't get a hold of him. Told me they were closed, and open Mon-Fri. WTF, do they just not drive on weekends.... B.S..... Getting pretty ****ing pissed.

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
the driver drives on the weekends, the office just isnt open then. If your not getting anywhere tell them they have until a certain time before you either call the cops to report it stolen since it didnt show up on a date you were giving or have a lawyer call them man.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I would be an bit upset, but I would try to relax until the car shows up. It's hard not to jump to conclusions, but when you do, it usually just causes you stress.

If there is a problem when it shows up, deal with it right then and there.

Good luck man. Who is the transporter BTW??

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I don't see how they could give you a condition report prior to delivery? It is a carbon layered document of which the give you after you sign it. I have shipped a few cars, but never had any "sit in a yard". Mine were picked up by the driver and in route from that day. IMO, you are puting all of hopes relating to the condition in the hands of the shipping company.

Buying a car without seeing it is a risk. I bought my CO sight unseen over the net and was a nervous wreck until is showed up! The only info that I got from the driver was "well she looks new, and the previous owner just about teared up as I drove away" in a Jeff Foxworthy country voice!

Last edited:

Qwk GT

Established Member
I don't see how they could give you a condition report prior to delivery? It is a carbon layered document of which the give you after you sign it. I have shipped a few cars, but never had any "sit in a yard". Mine were picked up by the driver and in route from that day. IMO, you are puting all of hopes relating to the condition in the hands of the shipping company.

Buying a car without seeing it is a risk. I bought my CO sight unseen over the net and was a nervous wreck until is showed up! The only info that I got from the driver was "well she looks new, and the previous owner just about teared up as I drove away" in a Jeff Foxworthy country voice!

I've shipped a car before and was given a condition report prior to delivery. I dont' know what else to say except yes, it did sit in some yard as the car was picked up on 9-6 and didn't leave until 9-14. I'm not putting all of the condition of the car solely on the shipping co, but it would be a lot easier not being so worried if the car actually left when it was supposed to....

For those that were wondering, I'm using Red Carpet Auto Transport and they contracted InTransit.

So update: Got the condition report emailed to me. It says it has a scratch or so or dent basically on all of the panels. :??:Hard for me to confirm as it was just given to me, I never saw the car, but none of this was described to me by the inspecting dealership. Hoping they are small or something and they were just documented, but the inspecting dealership described the car as really nice with great paint....

I'm trying to be patient and level headed until I see it I guess....... Still not here.:nonono:

Last edited:

Qwk GT

Established Member
No, still don't have it. I'm going to call tomorrow. I was going over the pics the dealer had and all of the spots they claim have any damage I can't see. So I'm hoping they are really small. If they are large enough to where I should've been able to see in the pics then not sure what I'm going to do......

TRBO VNM

How is the money situation? Did you already pay the dealer or whoever you bought it from in full? Return options? If it were me and that car shows up in any condition other than what was told to me, I would not accept delivery unless you had something in writing signed stating who was covering the damage and or getting a refund for the damage from the place you bought it from.

In addition, and make sure you do this, wherever they are contracted to drop the car off, DO NOT change that location. If you do, they will claim it is a breech of contract. A friend of mine bought one from texas and knew it needed some work and a clutch because it wouldn't move. So he asked them to drop it off at my place instead of what was originally agreed to. The contract terms were never changed with the shipping company. It was a verbal discussion with the driver. They come drop the car off and proceed to run over a neighbors tree. The tree wasn't covered because they didn't drop off as contracted.

These companies have no morals and could care less about anything. You should have seen how these guys were treating the other vehicles on the truck and a couple of the motorcycles they had.

Sorry, don't mean me make you more worried, but a couple of things you need to be aware of and careful about. Don't worry if you have to send it back because it wasn't as described. Just don't accept delivery if you aren't happy. You will find another one.

Heavyg72

Established Member
I did the same thing last year when I found my 03 in Houston, TX and needed to ship to Maryland. I used the the following site to help research and find the right shipping company. Provides ratings and customer reviews on all car shipping companies to help you narrow down and find the right one. I learned a lot in regards to how they all work and the gotcha's that you need to look out for. My car was picked up on a Friday and delivered to my house 4 days later as planned. The shipping company provided the drivers cell phone number and we were in contact througout. Maybe this will help someone in the future

Transport Reviews.com - Ratings and Reviews of Auto Transport Companies - Your Source For Finding a Quality Auto Transporter!

OP - hope your car arrives shortly and all works out.

Users who are viewing this thread