Self Tuning With SCT Pro Racer

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Always higher on one side. Dumb question, I lost track in ths other thread. You did degree the new cams right?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Always higher on one side. Dumb question, I lost track in ths other thread. You did degree the new cams right?
Yes I did. It was first time degreeing. I used a digital dial indicator in did the Centerline method ended up being about 1/2 degree off either way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did some more datalog going today watching my stft's. At idle they are about 5-6% difference. In neutral holding rpms at 1500, 2000, and 2500 the difference widens topping out at about 13% difference between banks.

Getting on the highway and holding at various rpm's the stft's are much closer like 3-4%.

Thoughts?

Personally I'd say you're good. Most aim for a 5% change (.95-1.05 normally). There's always going to be differences with exhaust set ups, sensor age, and just how things go.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Thanks for replying. I'm going to pop in new front 02 sensors, New plugs, and check for exaust leaks, then get it on the dyno at some point this week or next.

What plugs should I do? I'm running ngk tr6 gapped at about .25 right now. Hopefully see 22-25lbs of boost E85 of course.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
My tuner said 18 thousandths if 25 #'s. Once I slap the 3.4 on in a few months that's what I'll do. I run these
NGK - BR7EF and he said to continue running those.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thanks for replying. I'm going to pop in new front 02 sensors, New plugs, and check for exaust leaks, then get it on the dyno at some point this week or next.

What plugs should I do? I'm running ngk tr6 gapped at about .25 right now. Hopefully see 22-25lbs of boost E85 of course.

I would pull the current plugs to check them out. If they look good clean them, check the gap, and re-install them for the dyno. After the dyno throw new plugs in. Dynos are hard on plugs. Well, constant full throttle can be hard on them. I usually throw a new set in after tuning. I'd keep the same gap and watch for blow out.

My tuner said 18 thousandths if 25 #'s. Once I slap the 3.4 on in a few months that's what I'll do. I run these
NGK - BR7EF and he said to continue running those.

Does your tuner not like any kind of flame kernel? That's ridiculously tight. And with the way the BRE7F's are I imagine part throttle sucks.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I'll pull the plugs tonight / tomorrow and check them out. I put the TR6's in when I finished putting the car together. Only have 20 miles on them or so. The tune was way off though for my initial start up and idle tuning so I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace.

What should the plugs look like burning E85?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll have to check with my tuner again before I gap but that's what he said. I use a feeler gauge too

I just swapped to the same plugs, but I'm only 18-19psi. So my gap is .030". I just don't see the .018" being good for idle and part throttle. Some of the guys with .026" gap say their cars pop and stutter a little at idle.

Blown38

Established Member
Br7ef here on E85 at 25psi, .025" gap. Idles good.

A wot pull on E85 will look like nothing. See if I can dig up a pic. Just like a white ash around the top of the threads.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Drove the car 30 miles to work today. Actually drove nice at highway speeds. Getting the Dr's mounted and will get it on the dyno here hopefully next week.

I need to focus my research on the timing and spark tables so I can figure out what I'm doing there before I start doing part throttle boost tuning. Any insight with the spark tables is appreciated.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Waiting to get my car on the dyno to continue tuning.

Giving serious thought to switching over to a Ms3 Pro as I don't have to deal with emissions and it is plug and play.

Thoughts?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Waiting to get my car on the dyno to continue tuning.

Giving serious thought to switching over to a Ms3 Pro as I don't have to deal with emissions and it is plug and play.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are it's worth it. It's a new learning curve though.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Yeah I know that. After reading / playing around with SCT prp for a few weeks I have a basic understanding of tuning now. I would be getting it from Malcolm.

wkornf

Established Member
what emissions problems are you running into?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah I know that. After reading / playing around with SCT prp for a few weeks I have a basic understanding of tuning now. I would be getting it from Malcolm.

That's who I got mine from as well. If you do go with the MS3 get the gauge with it and dual widebands. It's nice to see what's going on with both banks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
what emissions problems are you running into?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I think he means since he doesn't have to deal with smog it's easier to make the switch. The MS3 doesn't control any smog equipment.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
That's who I got mine from as well. If you do go with the MS3 get the gauge with it and dual widebands. It's nice to see what's going on with both banks.
What gauge? And I have a innovate mtxl plus. Is there a easy way to add another sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread