Self Tuning With SCT Pro Racer

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I stumbled across this file last night. Might be helpful for you - it's really helpful for me at this stage. It goes into detail on a lot of the parameters in EEC.

Attachments

• Tuning Notes.pdf
    305.7 KB · Views: 205

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I stumbled across this file last night. Might be helpful for you - it's really helpful for me at this stage. It goes into detail on a lot of the parameters in EEC.
Thank you so much for this! Still waiting to get my car on the dyno to continue my tuning. I'll read this at least a couple times lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Haha you bet! It doesn’t have every little thing but I thought it was pretty damn helpful especially since I’m in the early stages. Just hoped you might get something out of it too! I have a long ways to go before a dyno visit haha

Blown38

Established Member
Thank you so much for this! Still waiting to get my car on the dyno to continue my tuning. I'll read this at least a couple times lol.

I'm gonna recommend TI Dyno in Ashtabula if you don't already have a dyno setup. You can tell Dave, Blown38 sent you. I don't know if they'll let you run the car on the dyno, but you can ask.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I'm gonna recommend TI Dyno in Ashtabula if you don't already have a dyno setup. You can tell Dave, Blown38 sent you. I don't know if they'll let you run the car on the dyno, but you can ask.
I don't need to run the car but if they can tune using my existing prp software that would be perfect. I'll reach out to them.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
how are things coming along for you?
Kind of at a stand still. Not able to get the car on the dyno where I work here and I'm tired of waiting. So I booked an appt at a shop local to finish things up. Had a nice conversation with the tuner and he will give me the file when he's done so I'll be able to make adjustments going forward with the prp software. June 10th is my appt.

Im wondering what pulley I need on the car to hit 24 / 25 lbs of boost?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
7B5FB849-8A8E-4328-BD99-CE47E45FAA04.png

Kubin-B

Established Member
Hey I've been working with Don as well but have been having an issue getting the DMR files to convert once I select them. I can only get PID files to data log currently but need some of the DMR files. Did you have any issues like this?
Hello all,
Some of you may be familiar with my Whipple build I have been doing the last couple months.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2003cobra-2s-3-4-whipple-build.1182528/

A couple weeks ago I transitioned to the tuning phase of my project. I decided to use a remote tuner and have them dial in the car using SCT. I installed Live Link II on my pc, configured a config file with a Innovate MTXL Plus. The first few initial revisions were promising. Car started, idled OK, and was somewhat drivable. The short term fuel trims were showing that they were calling for fuel. So as the tuner added fuel to bring things in line the car started to run worse. Got to the point that it would start and idle ok but it would fall on it's face as soon as you tried to accelerate at all. After revision 20...no progress and car was not drivable. If I went back to say revision 6 the car was drivable but lean. He tried to fatten it up and ran terrible. I would have to imagine there is something just wrong in the tunning. I checked for vac leaks, and triple checked all connections. So I made the decision to cut ties and try on my own.

I've never tuned before but I feel I'm good enough with computers, electronics, and somewhat mechanically inclined....along with a burning diy spirit inside.

After poking around I came across Don Lasortas website and whenever I ran across his name in Google searches the reviews were extremely positive of Don and how helpful he was. I called him, had a short good conversation and ordered up the SCT Pro Racer Software, his tuning book, and a base tune to get me pointed in the right direction. I decided to go SCT because I had a XCAL4 all ready and don't really care if I have to continually make changes and flash. I figured the SCT is the most friendly to get started.

As of right now, I have completed the SCT emissions class and survey. I called SCT and they give me the R&D access so I should have all the access I need to tune the car. I have received Don's tuning book and it is excellent. I'm still waiting on the USB dongle to arrive from SCT (should be here Monday). I asked Don to send me my base tune in a cef format so that I could flash it using my XCAL4 and device updater to at least get the base tune on the car to see how much work I have to do.

Installed the base tune, car fires up, then dies after about 5-7 seconds. I was able to datalog... I actually had to move my wideband to a different circuit that stays powered on during the cranking cycle so I could get A/F readings during the initial startup. The problem was because the sensor has a 30 second warmup it couldn't record the initial fire up. That's all fixed now. In livelink I saw that the initial fire up was right at about .82 lambda which i think is correct. After a couple seconds the idle starts to settle down and the wideband shows it goes lean as the car dies. Short term fuel trims are way less than 1 as well. I have a jlt high boost intake with the integrated maf which is much larger then the stock maf housing.

1st order of business will be adjusting the maf curve to call for a bit more fuel to get the car to idle. From there I will follow Don's book and use the open loop method utilizing my wideband 02 to dial in the MAF curve. After I'm happy with the idle and free revving ill get it on the dyno to dial in part throttle driving.

Ill be posting screens shots of my logs so you guys can check them out. Im really excited to try this out.....and i really hope i have very few mechanical issues lol. Here is the first screen shot of my initial first start up with the base tune. Here you can see engine rpm, and wideband.

View attachment 1634920

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Hey I've been working with Don as well but have been having an issue getting the DMR files to convert once I select them. I can only get PID files to data log currently but need some of the DMR files. Did you have any issues like this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I have not. I had a config file ahead of time. You could ask Don if he has a config file he could send you.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah my friend ran 3.25" with stock lower and his was a stroker. He ran out of fuel towards the top so the best he could muster was a 10.00 @ 139. This was a E85 non-Crusher setup. He had long tubes and saw about 24 pounds I believe.

I'm personally going 27-28 on a Crusher setup and I've got a caged lower. My upper is 3.5" with a 4# lower. I was also going to do about 25 pounds but I've got head studs, main studs on E85 so I'm just gonna send it. If if breaks I'll rebuild but I SHOULD be good.

I have a Reichard Racing 3.25" if you're interested.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Yeah my friend ran 3.25" with stock lower and his was a stroker. He ran out of fuel towards the top so the best he could muster was a 10.00 @ 139. This was a E85 non-Crusher setup. He had long tubes and saw about 24 pounds I believe.

I'm personally going 27-28 on a Crusher setup and I've got a caged lower. My upper is 3.5" with a 4# lower. I was also going to do about 25 pounds but I've got head studs, main studs on E85 so I'm just gonna send it. If if breaks I'll rebuild but I SHOULD be good.

I have a Reichard Racing 3.25" if you're interested.
That is super helpful. I did head studs, fic1000 injectors, dual 465 pumps, and I'm thinking my tuner will probably use 50psi base pressure so I think I'll have enough fuel for 25lbs or so. I'll just have to see how it goes. I may grab that 3.25 pulley you have.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Awesome let me know. I think I got that pulley off eBay for $125 to $150. Ill let it go for $100 shipped because I'm not going to use that much boost lol. I don't even want to be tempted.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Awesome let me know. I think I got that pulley off eBay for $125 to $150. Ill let it go for $100 shipped because I'm not going to use that much boost lol. I don't even want to be tempted.
You mean you don't want to use the 3.25 upper combined with your 4lb lower?

cj428mach

Established Member
That is super helpful. I did head studs, fic1000 injectors, dual 465 pumps, and I'm thinking my tuner will probably use 50psi base pressure so I think I'll have enough fuel for 25lbs or so. I'll just have to see how it goes. I may grab that 3.25 pulley you have.

I wish you luck but the 1000s should be pegged on your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread