Self Tuning With SCT Pro Racer

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Hello all,
Some of you may be familiar with my Whipple build I have been doing the last couple months.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2003cobra-2s-3-4-whipple-build.1182528/

A couple weeks ago I transitioned to the tuning phase of my project. I decided to use a remote tuner and have them dial in the car using SCT. I installed Live Link II on my pc, configured a config file with a Innovate MTXL Plus. The first few initial revisions were promising. Car started, idled OK, and was somewhat drivable. The short term fuel trims were showing that they were calling for fuel. So as the tuner added fuel to bring things in line the car started to run worse. Got to the point that it would start and idle ok but it would fall on it's face as soon as you tried to accelerate at all. After revision 20...no progress and car was not drivable. If I went back to say revision 6 the car was drivable but lean. He tried to fatten it up and ran terrible. I would have to imagine there is something just wrong in the tunning. I checked for vac leaks, and triple checked all connections. So I made the decision to cut ties and try on my own.

I've never tuned before but I feel I'm good enough with computers, electronics, and somewhat mechanically inclined....along with a burning diy spirit inside.

After poking around I came across Don Lasoota's website and whenever I ran across his name in Google searches the reviews were extremely positive of Don and how helpful he was. I called him, had a short good conversation and ordered up the SCT Pro Racer Software, his tuning book, and a base tune to get me pointed in the right direction. I decided to go SCT because I had a XCAL4 all ready and don't really care if I have to continually make changes and flash. I figured the SCT is the most friendly to get started.

As of right now, I have completed the SCT emissions class and survey. I called SCT and they give me the R&D access so I should have all the access I need to tune the car. I have received Don's tuning book and it is excellent. I'm still waiting on the USB dongle to arrive from SCT (should be here Monday). I asked Don to send me my base tune in a cef format so that I could flash it using my XCAL4 and device updater to at least get the base tune on the car to see how much work I have to do.

Installed the base tune, car fires up, then dies after about 5-7 seconds. I was able to datalog... I actually had to move my wideband to a different circuit that stays powered on during the cranking cycle so I could get A/F readings during the initial startup. The problem was because the sensor has a 30 second warmup it couldn't record the initial fire up. That's all fixed now. In livelink I saw that the initial fire up was right at about .82 lambda which i think is correct. After a couple seconds the idle starts to settle down and the wideband shows it goes lean as the car dies. Short term fuel trims are way less than 1 as well. I have a jlt high boost intake with the integrated maf which is much larger then the stock maf housing.

1st order of business will be adjusting the maf curve to call for a bit more fuel to get the car to idle. From there I will follow Don's book and use the open loop method utilizing my wideband 02 to dial in the MAF curve. After I'm happy with the idle and free revving ill get it on the dyno to dial in part throttle driving.

Ill be posting screens shots of my logs so you guys can check them out. Im really excited to try this out.....and i really hope i have very few mechanical issues lol. Here is the first screen shot of my initial first start up with the base tune. Here you can see engine rpm, and wideband.

10d02be5e45d5b18576ef60083853046.png

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW I've always tuned part throttle in closed loop. I turned adaptive off so that LTFT's aren't a factor. But then I don't have cams or anything.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I plan on checking my readings in closed loop too. Hopefully the narrow bands won't be going crazy when I get to that point.

Machdude

Established Member
Nice! Read the book a few times before you actually tune would be my advice. I tuned my Procharged Mach 1 using the same software you’re using and I must say it wasn’t hard just took time. Tuning on the street is also difficult seeing that there’s very few places to get a full run for some solid data logs.

The base tune I got from Don was pretty good to begin with but I ended up redoing the whole thing because I got a totally different maf. Use one of the base tune files that are already in the software and work your way up from there if dons tune isn’t already good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Nice! Read the book a few times before you actually tune would be my advice. I tuned my Procharged Mach 1 using the same software you’re using and I must say it wasn’t hard just took time. Tuning on the street is also difficult seeing that there’s very few places to get a full run for some solid data logs.

The base tune I got from Don was pretty good to begin with but I ended up redoing the whole thing because I got a totally different maf. Use one of the base tune files that are already in the software and work your way up from there if dons tune isn’t already good for you.

Thank you for posting. I've been reading up the past couple days and I'll go through the book a couple more times before I start messing with the software for sure.

I did a lot of digging on the net the last week and I can find posts here and there about tuning these cars on this site and modular fords but I couldn't really find anything that outlined a good detailed start to finish. I figure this will help someone down the road. And if I get stuck there are a lot of good minds here.

Machdude

Established Member
There’s a very good thread on the mach1registry.com

The book is your best bet but there are some confusing parts at least for me since the Mach 1 ecm has limits and I have to scale things such as my injectors my maf ad counts etc in order to achieve what I needed. I think the cobra ecm has less limits so you shouldn’t have to worry.

The book does a good job of explaining what everything in the software does. The main thing is is the maf. To start off once you load your base tune get some logs in and basically compare what you are commanding for fuel to what readings you get out of your wideband. Depending on wether you’re rich or lean you adjust your maf counts to adjust the fuel.

In the book it tells you do do that by loading up a tune where you’re at 1.0 lambda on all the fuel cells then running your car at idle and part throttle (NEVER GOING WIDE OPEN) to compare your comman vs actual then adjusting

After that initial adjustment you load up a tune with your commanded fuel on the rich side while also keeping your timing backed way down then you take some logs and again adjust your maf counts so that your wideband readings match your commands then after that’s all set up you can start playing with timing, dashpots fuel pump voltages etc

Again read the book all this info is in there. It’s been like a year since I tuned mine so I might be a bit rusty.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
just curious how come you didn't take a look at mega squirt?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Thank you everyone for the info. I will definetly check out thoes threads. I will be reading his book a few times so everything soakes in.

I did look at Megasquirt but decided to stick with SCT as the software is only $350 and I have a xcal 4 all ready vs $1,100 plus for Megasquirt. If this is a fail for me I would be taking it to a shop and a $350 loss is better then $1,100.

I get the software tonight I'll get going on Sunday.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I hear ya. I'm in the same position, having an xcal4 but I also have someone locally who's a tuner and a ms dealer, so it benefits me going that route.
definitely interested in seeing your results though as it might sway my mind.

wkornf

Established Member
hey I'm in the same situation I have the tuner already and thinking about getting the software but I'm concerned with the emissions control settings. I guess SCT was sued. my car has no EGR or rear O2 sensors. I'm not sure if the software will work anymore. keep us updated thanks.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
hey I'm in the same situation I have the tuner already and thinking about getting the software but I'm concerned with the emissions control settings. I guess SCT was sued. my car has no EGR or rear O2 sensors. I'm not sure if the software will work anymore. keep us updated thanks.

I can still turn that stuff off in my software. But I can't turn the codes off. Go figure. I did all the training too.

wkornf

Established Member
so everything works but you constantly have a check engine light?

guess I could remove the bulb.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member

There are dealers out there you can buy the software from that can provide a base tune with the emissions turned off. If you request full R&D access you should be able to turn that stuff off on your own. I'll be finding out soon and I'll report back.

wkornf

Established Member
I'm not sure they have a choice they were sued. here was my recent conversation with SCT.

I'm still not sure if the software works
21380b8b658d1b0d1dd28a0348b4e64f.jpg
dd23aa34cc1240615bd1ad9ba6b1d86e.jpg

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Well I hit the first roadblock. I was able to install and update the software. When you fire up the software it asks for a processor code or ecu stratagy. I was able to pull the ecu strategy using my XCAL 4 and while the software says processor code found it won't let me proceed. I get a message saying something is wrong with the dongle. It looks like some type of drivers installed but it's not being recognized. Tried on 2 different laptops. I talked to sct the other day and they confirmed it was supposed to be activated with R&D access. Guess I have to call tech support Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread