Review: 99/01 Cobra & 03/04 Mach1 Accufab 60mm Throttlebody

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Gosh...where did all of the believers go? The silence in this thread is deafening.

And what about this claim:
George Klass said:
Anyway, we learned alot while developing this dual-blade unit (took almost a year and 8 different versions, all tested on our flow bench). We found out that "the size of the hole", usually measured in MM) is not as important as the area IN FRONT of the blades. As someone above mentioned, it's not the size of the blades on the OEM TB that is the problem. The problem in airflow is the air seperation that takes place on the OEM unit, in front of the blades. This is what restricts the CFM, not the size of the blades. I'm not going to bore you with these details, especially not on a Monday, so you will just need to trust me a little in this area. I can just say that we flow test EVERBODIES throttle bodies, not just ours. We also dyno test them all, on Westech's engine or chassis dyno. If we can't show more HP than stock, we won't offer it (which is why we do not sell TB's for the 94-95 Mustangs). The new TB for the 99-01 Cobra has just been dyno tested, back to back with the OEM unit, and is worth about 9-10 more HP on a dead stock engine. Slightly more if you have increased initial airflow with a cold air kit, better filter, etc. This test will be in an upcoming MM&FF magazine since it was done by Richard Holdner. As most of you know, Accufab is down the street from Westech and we are on the dyno 3 to 4 days a week testing some damn thing or other. If you have questions you can email me anytime at [email protected] or call me at Accufab, (909) 930-1751. Cheers.

Guess they didn't figure out a way to change the laws of physics afterall...

COBRABRAD

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Gosh...where did all of the believers go? The silence in this thread is deafening.

Please explain where the magic horsepower came from since the stock TB flows more than enough air. 3.1 HP and 5.5 TQ is a nice peak gain, but also there were greater gains under the curve. So PLEASE explain to me where this mysterious horsepower came from since the stock TB flows far more than what is needed.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
lemosley01 said:

I'm still waiting for some dyno #s . . . but thanx for bumping this back up.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
COBRABRAD said:
Please explain where the magic horsepower came from since the stock TB flows more than enough air. 3.1 HP and 5.5 TQ is a nice peak gain, but also there were greater gains under the curve. So PLEASE explain to me where this mysterious horsepower came from since the stock TB flows far more than what is needed.

Our POINT, had you bothered to read the thread, is that the mod is not really worth the investment based on the gains you get. There are other, better modifications out there. Our point was that the stock TB does flow enough air for you until you get into highly modified cars.

Further, if you had bother to read the thread that was linked, you would have noticed:
Jester said:
I started with an uncorrected baseline pull of 318.3 hp 335.0 tq and ended with 320.9 hp 340.1 tq. (**NOTE- the low graph on the dyno was NOT the baseline pull) Weather: 49.5F, 30.30in/1028.7hPa, 50% humidity.

or this:
Jester said:
Sorry for the confusion. The 313 hp was the first and lower of the two baseline pulls. I have no idea why the tuner chose that graph for comparison. I didn't see it when I was getting the printout.

Throttle response has been outstanding for my Mach since I had the longtubes and dynotune done. The gains from this mod are minimal, but maybe the buttometer feels a little more response...

For those wondering why I shelled out the cash for this TB: More mods to come (this one just so happens to bolt up to the future...)

So, how do you know 'what gains under the curve' there are?
Sure, if it is the last thing to do...why not. But $35-$400 will get you a flasher like the SCT with much better gains. $350-$400 will probably get you ported heads or a ported intake which will also show better gains.

[edited - incomplete sentence]

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
$350-400 aint gonna get you no ported heads. I know that.

Mmm...wasn't sure how much it was. I was thinking it was around 3-400.

Rex-racer - na_svt's link has a dyno in it.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Our POINT, had you bothered to read the thread, is that the mod is not really worth the investment based on the gains you get. There are other, better modifications out there. Our point was that the stock TB does flow enough air for you until you get into highly modified cars.

Further, if you had bother to read the thread that was linked, you would have noticed:

or this:

So, how do you know 'what gains under the curve' there are?
Sure, if it is the last thing to do...why not. But $35-$400 will get you a flasher like the SCT with much better gains. $350-$400 will probably get you ported heads or a ported intake which will also show better gains.

[edited - incomplete sentence]
If the stock TB flows enough air, how is there any gain? It is now an issue of to what degree you are wrong - not whether or not you are wrong.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
COBRABRAD said:
If the stock TB flows enough air, how is there any gain? It is now an issue of to what degree you are wrong - not whether or not you are wrong.

Read the thread. We (some of us) made the claim that it isn't worth the gains. I NEVER said it didn't gain anything, and I even posted a link that showed it does gain, but even on that car, the gains were minimal considering what was done.

Simple fact - you aren't going to feel 3HP by SOTP.

So, $350 for 3HP is 'worth it'? Maybe to you. And, what of the '9-10 hp' claim made for a stone stock engine?

The fact that there are minimal gains, and there are, tells me that the stock TB is not the restriction. If the stock TB WERE the restriction, as you claim, then porting/polishing the lower intake would be worth nothing. Adding a cold air intake would also be worth nothing.

There is dyno proof (and has been) that it is not worth the money (as in $/hp gained). If you want to spend your cash on it, fine. But suggesting to someone it is the first mod they should do, or the next mod, when all they've done is change catbacks and CAI is wasteful, IMO.

edit: as far as gains, my guess would be that the new TB smooths the airflow out. Wonder what a polished TB would do. We'll know since Naz actually has one to dyno test.

Last edited:

Nazman

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Read the thread. We (some of us) made the claim that it isn't worth the gains. I NEVER said it didn't gain anything, and I even posted a link that showed it does gain, but even on that car, the gains were minimal considering what was done.

Simple fact - you aren't going to feel 3HP by SOTP.

So, $350 for 3HP is 'worth it'? Maybe to you. And, what of the '9-10 hp' claim made for a stone stock engine?

The fact that there are minimal gains, and there are, tells me that the stock TB is not the restriction. If the stock TB WERE the restriction, as you claim, then porting/polishing the lower intake would be worth nothing. Adding a cold air intake would also be worth nothing.

There is dyno proof (and has been) that it is not worth the money (as in $/hp gained). If you want to spend your cash on it, fine. But suggesting to someone it is the first mod they should do, or the next mod, when all they've done is change catbacks and CAI is wasteful, IMO.

edit: as far as gains, my guess would be that the new TB smooths the airflow out. Wonder what a polished TB would do. We'll know since Naz actually has one to dyno test.
Every motor is diferent. The gains on a bolt-on motor should be minimal (as seen above) but on a higher RPM (7000+RPMs) motor, with HCI set-up to maximaze air flow "should" see better gains.

The weather is getting better over here in Germany and I should have the test done. I know, I promised earlier but when duty calls and the weather does not cooperate.........makes things dificult.

All I know is............the Albino will be on the crack! :lol: With a bag of "150"!! :rockon:

Naz

Stopsign32v

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Our point was that the stock TB does flow enough air for you until you get into highly modified cars.

Exactly...I don't know what all the fuss is about this isn't exactly brain surgery questions. Think of the throttle body as an exhaust. The stock one is a 2.5" exhaust and this one is a 3" exhaust. You would gain nothing and might lose power going to a 3" exhaust on a bolt on car but with a car that makes over about 450rwhp you will gain some power. Same thing with the throttle body. If you have anywhere in the 400rwhp- dept I wouldn't even be looking at this throttle body.

Users who are viewing this thread