Review: 99/01 Cobra & 03/04 Mach1 Accufab 60mm Throttlebody

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
Something isn't right.
My old Red GT Swap car had the BBK dual 65 TB and after the
messing with it to make it work, it performed flawlessly.
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35470
I have not yet had the opportunity to install an Accufab unit on my Mach,
but once I do, I'll figure it all out.
If working properly, the TB WILL improve throttle response.

Nazman

Established Member
In all fairness I need to give you the complete information and Ill break it down as EVENT (E), and RESULT (R).

E. Purchased unit, intalled.
R. Worked fine, idle was great, trottle response was superb, and mid range power was there.

About 4-5 weeks with the Accufab unit:

E. Noticed the RPM will hang o/a 1500 RPMs for an extra second or two and then come back down back to normal.
R. Ignored.

About 6 weeks with the Accufb unit:

E. RPMs now hang around 3000RPMs and clib to o/a 3500RPMs during shift transition and during stops. First, blipping the trottle for a second seem to work, then that stop working and I played with the SCT PRP and attempted to correct.
-Reduced Fuel
-Added Fuel
-Reduced Timming
-Added Timming
-Reduceld Intake Volume (reduce load)
-Added Intake Volume (increased load)
-Added/Reduced ISC Idle
-Added/Reduced ISC Idle/Drive
R. Accufab has been SOLD.

I during the whole ordeal changed ICV, checked for Vaccum leacks, changed intake track from JLT RAI to CAI and viceversa. Changed MAF, and changed the possition of the MAF.

In my case none of those worked. So, I sold it.

When you compare the 2, the Idle Sampling area on the Accufab is diferent, for one its larger, and does not have a similar countouring as the stock unit.

Check it out on these pics:

Stock:

gallery_1217_345_388681.jpg

Accufab:

gallery_1217_345_180067.jpg

Front:

Accfuab:

gallery_1217_345_346244.jpg

Stock:

gallery_1217_345_405303.jpg

Notice how the area right on top of the TBs on the stock unit, that is where the sampling holes are.

On the Accufab, they are fully exposed.

That and the exit area being the only diferent (other than the Accufab samplin holes being larger as well) from stock to Accufab.

In all fairness, I did not wanted to remove it since I did like the unit but the assosiated problems push me to sell it.

Coments?

Naz

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
My comment is

Birdman is right - Something isn't right, and it ain't you. It is the TB. You seemed to be pretty thorough. Sounds like it would require some major reworking to make work properly, and then what would happen to it's performance?

Birdman, if you get one and can get it working, I'd like to know how and what the results are. I don't want to spend 3-400 on a TB and have do a bunch of hacking on it to get it to actually work.

UCBeau

It appears that there is a design flaw that needs to be fixed. As for spending 350 bucks for 8 rwhp, no thank you.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
Here is what I posted on the machoneregistry.....

"There is a factory coating called DAG on the back of the butterfly's to help with idle. Take off the TB and spray enamel paint on the back of the butterfly's and then let it dry completely. After it is dry break the seal by manually actuating the butterfly's and you will see that you now have a perfect custom seal for the butterfly's."

Note the lack of a similar coating on the back of the Accufab, the factory does not do that for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread