Paxton or Procharger

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
For the price/power ratio, it's seems impossible to beat the Paxton, IMO. Seems like a lot of happy campers with them.

hopony

Established Member
I just had a guy in texas call me yesterday, he helps guys out with local installs and tuning. said the guy has the stage 1 procharger and iat's are reaching nearly 200 degrees running mid 10's

at low 9's we were only seeing 140's to 150's with the competition kit

1) What differences would you see with the stage 2 kit?

2) are the temp differences because of intercooler size along or are the sensors located in different locations on the 2 kits?

3) If I only want around 600 to 650 rwhp would a vortech kit have any advantages over the paxton?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
1) What differences would you see with the stage 2 kit?

2) are the temp differences because of intercooler size along or are the sensors located in different locations on the 2 kits?

3) If I only want around 600 to 650 rwhp would a vortech kit have any advantages over the paxton?

stage 2 still runs hotter, coffeeman was running the stage ii intercooler seeing temps over 200 degrees as well

it's a combo of the intercooler, blower, and air inlet placement

as far as vortech over Paxton, the vortech has a smaller head unit, but the same intercooler, at stock boost level, the vortech works very well, most kits we tune to 600-625 whether a vortech or Paxton

if you never plan on going above that 600-650 mark, the v3 will actually be a little more responsive down low

hopony

Established Member
stage 2 still runs hotter, coffeeman was running the stage ii intercooler seeing temps over 200 degrees as well

it's a combo of the intercooler, blower, and air inlet placement

as far as vortech over Paxton, the vortech has a smaller head unit, but the same intercooler, at stock boost level, the vortech works very well, most kits we tune to 600-625 whether a vortech or Paxton

if you never plan on going above that 600-650 mark, the v3 will actually be a little more responsive down low

Thanks for the info. I will probably do the paxton kit. 1st it is more in my budget. 2nd the procharger is getting near the price of the hellion twin kit. 3rd I like that the paxton has more room down the road. I would like to say I would never need more than 650 hp but you never know what will happen. What is the smallest pulley you would recommend for a stock bottom end on 93 and what boost level and approximate rwhp will it make with comp inlet, boost a pump, and 1 7/8 headers?

Last edited:

03lofront

another wannabe ....
Established Member
I have the procharger stage 2 p1sc kit with the 4.00 pulley. Makes 10.5 psi at 7000 rpm. It made 634/555 to the tire on mustang dyno. Ive never seen an intake temp over 115 even after a pass at the track in the southeast texas heat. The install was much simpler than the paxton and yes ive installed both. Yes the fan is noisy as **** but it sure does move some air. I like that procharger has a separate belt. If my belt breaks which it has due to me using a used belt..... i was still able to drive home instead of sit on the side of the road which i guarantee you will be sitting on the side of the road if the paxton breaks a belt. Both are quality top knotch kits. A friend of mine had the beefcake special and it made great power. Both will make enough boost to scatter a stock bottom end. Yes the paxton is obviously cheaper with beefcakes deal of the century

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the thing is, with the Paxton setup, you are about as likely to break a belt as you are to break a belt on an n/a setup.

there is no extra belt stress on the system, just the oem tensioner.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Im a fan of both the procharger and paxton/vortech setups but I get alittle annoyed with beef's comments since he is a paxton/vortech dealer.

I have a procharger and my brother has a vortech on our 5.0 gt's.

The crank stress issue really isnt an issue. One person who happens to be running low 9s broke a crank with a procharger. You wont find your typical street car breaking any cranks with running mild boost and mid 10 second times.

I cant deny the IATs on the paxton/vortech setups are better as I even had jon lund tell me so.

The procharger cost more. It does and there is no denying that. Its also 8 rib, easier to work on, has 10 less clamps, and can work with the cobra jet manifold if someone is feeling frisky.

Power wise on a dyno my setup will run with any paxton car at the same boost level. On the street with some heat under the hood I think the paxton car would have the edge.

Im not hating on any blower setup just giving an honest review.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
When it comes to big purchases, alot of my decision is based on service AFTER the sale. Having said that, I would WITHOUT A DOUBT feel comfortable buying from Beefcake because, TO ME, time and time again, he has been there for his customer(s). He actually races what he sells, breaks, and puts back together what he sells.

This is NOT a sales pitch, but a smidgen of insight that I PERSONALLY would consider when tossing something on my car that I could mess up installing. I feel Terry would be there within a text or phone call to help me get through it, not to mention, suggesting the RIGHT parts for me to use to COMPLIMENT my build instead of throwing a hodge-podge of parts at my car.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When it comes to big purchases, alot of my decision is based on service AFTER the sale. Having said that, I would WITHOUT A DOUBT feel comfortable buying from Beefcake because, TO ME, time and time again, he has been there for his customer(s). He actually races what he sells, breaks, and puts back together what he sells.

This is NOT a sales pitch, but a smidgen of insight that I PERSONALLY would consider when tossing something on my car that I could mess up installing. I feel Terry would be there within a text or phone call to help me get through it, not to mention, suggesting the RIGHT parts for me to use to COMPLIMENT my build instead of throwing a hodge-podge of parts at my car.

appreciate that,

not that i'm condoning it, but one night I was on the phone with a member here til 1:30 in the morning walking him through loading his tune after he had issues with the software and was lost on what he needed to do.

I ask to try to keep calls to 11pm est though, lol. wife gets a little annoyed after that ;)

Jfab

Established Member
I'm running a procharger p1 stage 2 kit I got off this site from a member for $2600. Making 600 to the wheels on a very safe tune in the 95 degree Florida heat. Temps never go over 200 unless I beat on it and then they drop back down within 30 second. Usually temps are around 190, keep in mind it's 95 degrees out where I live. I know I got mine for a sick price, but still, the kit is awesome and pulls like a beast at only 9psi.

mhyjek

Established Member
appreciate that,

not that i'm condoning it, but one night I was on the phone with a member here til 1:30 in the morning walking him through loading his tune after he had issues with the software and was lost on what he needed to do.

I ask to try to keep calls to 11pm est though, lol. wife gets a little annoyed after that ;)

Beef has helped me on July 4th weekend wen I blew boost tube I was texting him not to annoy him when he then called me and spent half hour getting things right! The pro charger is a qaulity kit but for the money and stock bottom end setups who are budget minded the the paxton/vortech kits are where it at!

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When I did my paxton install I overlooked the fact that the id1000's had two o-rings and I only lubed the bottom one. Ever time I tried to prime the system I had a fuel leak, I sent Beef a text on Sunday around 10 and within 10 minutes he called me and talked to me about my install for 30 minutes. He also called me later in the day to make sure I was good to go. I recommend him to anyone that even considers FI. I have a local mustang buddy that will be going with him soon to get her Paxton on a 2010 gt.

Users who are viewing this thread