Paxton or Procharger

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
A better intercooler could help, but higher iat coming in I would think higher temps entering the throttle body, maybe i'm wrong.

The intercooler should take care of that. The air is going to be heated regardless when its compressed. If anything the temperature difference between the paxton and a p1 are more due to the head unit efficiency than anything else. I have not tested this but I'm willing to bet that the its temps are going to be very very close to each other asuming that we run the same head unit and intercooler. At idle the its might be a bit higher but once the car starts to move it should be the same. The if the intercooler is large enough like a paxton kit at base boost is not even close to being maxed out. There is more than enough surface area to reject the extra heat from where ever the blower is sucking air from. I just hate seeing people use the intake placement of the procharger as a reason not to buy it. I think it just sounds silly.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Water/Meth is nice. I loved it when I was running 27* of timing at 25psi of boost on my srt4, but it is just another system to monitor. If you use it to make a bunch more power like I did, then a pump failure or pressure sensor failure would be catastrophic. I told myself I was just going to use it as a "safety measure", but once I had the power to spray a little more and bump the timing up for some great HP gains, I couldn't resist.

The change in IAT's alone would dissuade me against the procharger, but if there is proof that the procharger with a different intercooler would produce the IAT's of a paxton, then they should be fairly comprable... until you factor in price.

Guess it comes down to if you want to buy a procharger, and add more $$$ to get the IAT's down, or if you just want to buy a paxton and go. I haven't looked into the install of a procharger, but the reason I didn't get the paxton is the cutting and hacking of hoses, and the threads about the coolant/boost leaks at the junctions. I'm sure they can be fixed with better clamps and constant monitoring, but that's not what I wanted to do. I've had enough "boost leak testing" with my last car.

There is some cutting to be done with the paxton but is not the end of the world. As far as leaks. I havnt had any boost leaks with the shitty worm gear clamps. And no water leaks even with the plastic water tank. If I overfill the coolant tank it will leak.. I think that might be why it leaks on some people. Idk.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Silly or not, it was one of the reasons I did not buy it. We have a nice area from the factor to get air into the intake, why not use it when upgrading? Again I'm not saying don't get the procharger because of the intake placement, just that I don't like.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
There is some cutting to be done with the paxton but is not the end of the world. As far as leaks. I havnt had any boost leaks with the shitty worm gear clamps. And no water leaks even with the plastic water tank. If I overfill the coolant tank it will leak.. I think that might be why it leaks on some people. Idk.

Even beef recommended upgrading the coolant tank. It's cool that you don't have any leaks :banana:, but I know my luck..lol. I very well could've bought the paxton and not had any issues, and I know I would love it, I just didn't wanna take the chance. I guess they're saying the tank heats and expands, and it distorts enough to leak around where the cap is. I'm pretty sure that's what was said. It is a simple enough fix though, with upgraded tanks that are offered. I live a little over an hour from the track, so I didn't want to find out if I had an issue when I'm over an hour from home and across the border in Canada.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Even beef recommended upgrading the coolant tank. It's cool that you don't have any leaks :banana:, but I know my luck..lol. I very well couldn't bought the paxton and not had any issues, and I know I would love it, I just didn't wanna take the chance. I guess they're saying the tank heats and expands, and it distorts enough to leak around where the cap is. I'm pretty sure that's what was said. It is a simple enough fix though, with upgraded tanks that are offered. I live a little over an hour from the track, so I didn't want to find out if I had an issue when I'm over an hour from home and across the border in Canada.

Well I can tell you that my tank has been tested LOL. Especially in the Miami heat. No leaks. But yea a metal one would be better and prettier

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the heat is a combination of things, intercooler, air intake placement.

the vortech uses the stock airbox which everyone says is "as good as it gets" and pulls fresh cool air from the outside.

Vortech / Paxton has a nice cai upgrade, which actually feeds a tube to that oem location as well to pull the air from the outside as well.

I gotta think, ambient air from the outside of 60-90 degrees, vs whatever the temp in the engine bay right above the headers, is going to make a huge difference

hopony

Established Member
Oh, I get it. It's ok to talk about turbo's until a point starts being made against the turbo (price), and then it's "off topic". lol People are funny

Honestly, I would love to have the twin kit but that and the install is not in my budget. When it came down to it the paxton was the only kit I could afford right now. I fully realize the twins make mire power on less boost, but it isn't an option for me

Users who are viewing this thread