On3 Performance Turbo Kit Install

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
You think that stock mod engine is going to run 9's with 8 psi ?

Nope.

Do I think with a few select mods, and some tweaking....that it could get close? Yup.

IF (yes, IF) lol......I can build boost from the line, then I think it would go much faster. I also have 17's on the front, instead of skinnies like I generally run. I ALSO added weight to the car with the auto, and different seats.

My guess, assuming everything is mechanically sound....is a [email protected] Dec 10. I probably wont cut better than a 1.8 sixty foot with no boost and a 3.73 gear....but we will see! With boost, the sixty would likely be in the 1.4-1.5 range like it was N/A and T45.

I won't be happy until it goes 10.49 on 8 PSI, as it sits. I will have to work on some things, including the tune...imo.

Last edited:

CPRsm

That 6.4 @ 113 is a high 9 sec pass. Maybe as low as 9.7.
Better change that gear our it's going to be a waste of a trip.
Should be able to see boost at the line....tranny brake ?

fastferndog

Established Member
Nope.

Do I think with a few select mods, and some tweaking....that it could get close? Yup.

IF (yes, IF) lol......I can build boost from the line, then I think it would go much faster. I also have 17's on the front, instead of skinnies like I generally run. I ALSO added weight to the car with the auto, and different seats.

My guess, assuming everything is mechanically sound....is a [email protected] Dec 10. I probably wont cut better than a 1.8 sixty foot with no boost and a 3.73 gear....but we will see! With boost, the sixty would likely be in the 1.4-1.5 range like it was N/A and T45.

I won't be happy until it goes 10.49 on 8 PSI, as it sits. I will have to work on some things, including the tune...imo.

First of all great write up. Good luck in December, if you want to build boost at the line try a two step.

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
This thread is also making me debate an on3 setup for my 04 mach lol. How longs the kit been on modular ? I daily my mach1 so i cant be blowing it up! I mean they say on their site that a stock 4V will make XXX amount of power, but how long will it last is the question. I have a warranty on my car, but i'd hate to have to take everything off so an inspector doesnt fail it lol.

fastferndog

Established Member
This thread is also making me debate an on3 setup for my 04 mach lol. How longs the kit been on modular ? I daily my mach1 so i cant be blowing it up! I mean they say on their site that a stock 4V will make XXX amount of power, but how long will it last is the question. I have a warranty on my car, but i'd hate to have to take everything off so an inspector doesnt fail it lol.

If your car is under warranty and you remove everything including the tune, most techs can determine that the engine was modified, down to the tune as well as inspectors. Most modulars can safely handle 8lbs on a conservative tune. The on 3 kit could probably use better waste gates from a good brand such as Tial, Turbosmart, etc.

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
If your car is under warranty and you remove everything including the tune, most techs can determine that the engine was modified, down to the tune as well as inspectors. Most modulars can safely handle 8lbs on a conservative tune. The on 3 kit could probably use better waste gates from a good brand such as Tial, Turbosmart, etc.

I work at a Ford dealer, so it's not too hard for me... I guess its 1 perk of working here lol

DaBigBone

Established Member
Interesting thread. Glad to see your happy!

I'm debating between one of these kits or a KB 2.6... Only time will tell.

fastferndog

Established Member
I work at a Ford dealer, so it's not too hard for me... I guess its 1 perk of working here lol

That's Great!! So did I for about 18yrs. Now I opened my own shop. Master since 2001, Sr Master since 2003.
You're correct on the perks bro. Good thing I still have them lol.

fastferndog

Established Member
Sorry I did not mean to hijack thread. On previous post. But that being excellent said, if you know someone that works at a Ford dealer, specifically a tech, they can warranty your engine.

December 10 is getting real close, really looking forward to some new posts with new times and hopefully videos as well. That should keep some haters quiet for a while. At least until they find something else to put down. If anything they could be useful or constructive and have tips on how to solve some of the issues, that of course is my opinion and not trying to offend anyone. You did not have to share your build with us, and that is commendable.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Got the tranny all buttoned up. Did a few tricks to it, and installed an aluminum trans pan.

I got the trans pan from AmericanMuscle.com.....for $139 shipped. I got the AODE-3 kit from Summit Racing for around $220 shipped.

The 4R70W I got for free basically, as I bought a package deal and sold the Stall converter for what I paid for the entire trans package.

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Awesome man, glad to see you got everything in there. Cant wait to see some track times as long as the motor stays together :pop:

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Looking forward to track results with this setup. Reading through this thread and few other install threads really makes me want to invest in this kit. I too used to be a disbeliever thinking that going cheap on turbo kits is the worst idea. I've been running a vortech for about 2 years on a built 2V motor and while its fun, I'm bored of the lack of torque and tired of dealing with belts. I am curious as to what this setup will do in terms of reliability at around the 750+hp range. I've been looking into the forward facing kit minus the turbo, wastegate, bov and then piecing together the rest with Precision T70 and Tial hardware. Your honesty regarding the fit of the piping is making me want this pretty bad haha.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Got rained out. I got about 7 miles from the track (track is 97 miles) and I got a call saying it got cancelled.

I was upset, but my friend who came from Texas to run with me at this event was super bummed.

Anyhow, the car is doing great! It runs great, it is fast, and the auto is just awesome.

I still haven't hooked up the lock-up and O/D....so 3,000 rpm at 50mph the entire time yesterday on the hwy kinda blew.

I was playing with a modded SRT4 on the way home, I will post some vids soon.

*THE TURBO KIT*

I developed a leak at the passenger side v-band on the header. It was a very small leak, but it drove me nuts at low RPM when driving over a bridge or beside a truck etc...

I noticed another On3 owner posted some gaskets he uses. Well, I bought 3 of them and put them on the flanges. It took me about 45 minutes to clean all the v-band connections and insert these gaskets.

Overall, everything is working and the car is ridiculous fun with the auto. When I layy into it, its lit up and just goes! Thanks to Greg at FTI Converters!!!!

Last edited:

08fordgt

Established Member
This thread is awesome! I was going to run an On3 kit. But all the other threads I read had negative info. I am in the process of piecing together a supercharger kit. But I'm glad it worked out for u. And I wish I found this thread sooner.
Sorry it rained. What track were u going to? I'm n Tampa and I go to Bradenton.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Yes, BMP.

I ran a 2.8 KB Cobra (built/cammed/welds/K-memb/etc) tonight and edged him out.

This car hauls some ass for a budget build.

Users who are viewing this thread