On3 Performance Turbo Kit Install

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Here is a quick vid I put together.

This is the first time I have really even gone WOT, so I need to dial it in. It is spin city until a little over 100 mph.

The 2nd and 3rd runs...got a little loose on my end. Full screen and you will see what I mean. I am stoked with this combo. That KB car makes about 200 more RWHP. ;)

On3 Turbo Cobra VS KB 2.8H Cobra - Car Videos on StreetFire

I guess his combo is technically better, but my car accelerates slightly quicker. I just need to revamp a few things on this 7 year old chassis/suspension. :lol:

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Got rained out. I got about 7 miles from the track (track is 97 miles) and I got a call saying it got cancelled.

I was upset, but my friend who came from Texas to run with me at this event was super bummed.

Anyhow, the car is doing great! It runs great, it is fast, and the auto is just awesome.

I still haven't hooked up the lock-up and O/D....so 3,000 rpm at 50mph the entire time yesterday on the hwy kinda blew.

I was playing with a modded SRT4 on the way home, I will post some vids soon.

*THE TURBO KIT*

I developed a leak at the passenger side v-band on the header. It was a very small leak, but it drove me nuts at low RPM when driving over a bridge or beside a truck etc...

I noticed another On3 owner posted some gaskets he uses. Well, I bought 3 of them and put them on the flanges. It took me about 45 minutes to clean all the v-band connections and insert these gaskets.

Overall, everything is working and the car is ridiculous fun with the auto. When I layy into it, its lit up and just goes! Thanks to Greg at FTI Converters!!!!

Hey Man, can you share the link or the thread link to the gaskets for the v band connections. :beer:

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Here is a quick pull from 65-100 on the way home from work earlier.

On3 Turbo Install :: video-2011-12-29-17-56-37.mp4 video by 99atlbluegt - Photobucket

This thing gets it.

It is acting like a rev limiter at 5500 RPM...and I am 97.99% sure it is spark blow out. I will know soon.

It went 101.9 in the 1/8....on the "rev limiter" at 5500 the other day.... There was easily a few more mph in it. It has been cutting out at 5500 for a while now, but I have been too busy to fix it.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
I think you might be the only person I've seen who is happy with their On3 kit. I'm thinking about jumping into the fire on it but at the same time hellion is looking real good. If you knew then what you do now about the on3 kit would you have still gotten it? Any changes that should be made to the kit in your opinion?

Cory

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
I think you might be the only person I've seen who is happy with their On3 kit. I'm thinking about jumping into the fire on it but at the same time hellion is looking real good. If you knew then what you do now about the on3 kit would you have still gotten it? Any changes that should be made to the kit in your opinion?

Cory

Not really. There are actually a lot of people happy with the kits. I personally know a few.

I wouldn't want anything changed. I like the price where it's at. Changes that I would want, would raise the price of the kit....as to where I can make the kit how I want it for cheaper.

what's the back spacing on the front wheels?

Not sure. I told Glenn Jr. at BS what I wanted....and he sent them my way a week later.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
Not really. There are actually a lot of people happy with the kits. I personally know a few.

I wouldn't want anything changed. I like the price where it's at. Changes that I would want, would raise the price of the kit....as to where I can make the kit how I want it for cheaper.

well what would you change? What would you suggest I buy to improve the kit if I were to buy it? Just trying to figure everything out.

Cory

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Well, it was fun!

I got an offer for the turbo kit, along with the 4R70/Stall combo....that I just COULD NOT refuse....

My trans/stall....and turbo kit will be going on a 2003 Cobra. I will keep everyone updated on what it does. The plan is to pretty much max out the 70mm. Should be good!

NEW BUILD:
Motor: Dunno Yet
Turbo(s): Twin 70mm On3. Yes, I am going to do a twin 70mm set-up.
Trans: A) FTI-TH400......B) One off T45.... Dunno yet
Carb: Blowthrough....possibly E85

I want to stick to a mod motor, to make a "Part 2" to this build....but we shall see.

Plan is to run E85, Blow though carb, NO Intercooler.....and twin 70's making a large amount of power.

Thanks!

Also, this engine is for sale. Excellent shape. Made 346 RWHP N/A. PM me if interested....I need to plan the new build!!

Users who are viewing this thread