the price for the kit is pretty good.
is your build thread up to date?

90coupe5oh

Established Member
any regrets on the on3 kit stretch?
would you do it over again?

I've got the same questions, I just got a kit and plan on trying to make a lot of power with it. North of 1k

stretchb

Established Member
any regrets on the on3 kit stretch?
would you do it over again?

I don't think I have build thread.

no regrets.

as far as doing it over again, yes because its been done before now.

WIPLASH1

Established Member
in on3's defense, there were never any pics of the cracked headers ever seen. not saying it couldnt happen.

I for one made hangers for my x-pipe because I was getting an exhaust vibe.
I would just imagine a header cracking is inevitable without any hangers.

My hanger setup is very similar to yours except it's back a bit and bolts to the seat bracket stud. I used NI Exhaust Solutions (part# 17175) hangers with rubber between the welded exhaust ends and the bolted body ends. There is SLIGHT vibration increase from it but to me it makes the car feel more "real".

Very easy mod but then again I have a welder. If you don't have the ability to weld your could bolt everything up and drive it to the exhaust shop with those hangers and have them weld them on for you. I welded them with everything bolted up except the turbo v-bands, those were left a little loose to verify that the hangers were supporting what they're supposed to plus a little pre-load to take a little weight of the turbo's.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
No, there's only one kit that had headers crack. The end user is responsible for fabricating a hanger for the exhaust. If they don't the majority of the weight of the entire exhaust plus the weight of the turbo's is supported by the headers. Not good at 1200 plus deg's!

I think it's silly they don't provide a hanger. On3 is putting there rep at risk by trusting the end-user to make something work.

u can see the "L" brackets I welded to the x-pipe, they bolt up to the extra holes by the crossmember.

xpipe_zps5d43c91d.jpg
Thanks for the tips on this. Makes a lot of sense whay one could see some cracking. With this all said though, the Hellion TT kit for instance would need the same thing done? There aren't turbo support brackets on that kit either if I remember right.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Car is sick!!!

Thanks for the tips on this. Makes a lot of sense whay one could see some cracking. With this all said though, the Hellion TT kit for instance would need the same thing done? There aren't turbo support brackets on that kit either if I remember right.

There are support brackets included in the hellion kit that mount to the transmission bell housing.

robbinthehood

Established Member
Only thing stopping me buying this kit is the rumor of the turbos failing after a couple thousand miles and the shoddy wastegates and possible bov issues. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong as I want to buy the kit but need a reliable dd as well.

I'd really love to go this route over a Paxton with a wastegate setup

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Yellow03snake

Established Member
Only thing stopping me buying this kit is the rumor of the turbos failing after a couple thousand miles and the shoddy wastegates and possible bov issues. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong as I want to buy the kit but need a reliable dd as well.

That's just typical internet blabber started by people with no clue about the kit

Bud

Established Member
Me too!! I am pulling motor this weekend to get built and then going back in with the 60's. Better make some big power. I am coming from 10 psi TVS.

:rockon:

Only thing stopping me buying this kit is the rumor of the turbos failing after a couple thousand miles and the shoddy wastegates and possible bov issues.

I've only heard of one turbo failure so far on the on3 kit on these new cars.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member

The turbos are like $300, who cars if one goes out once a year. I have seen several of the Hellion turbonetic turbos go out LOCALLY within the last year, what does that tell you. It should tell you that shit happens. As for the waste gates and BOV's, buy quality pieces before you do the install, that way you know that part of the system is quality.

robbinthehood

Established Member
Yeah those turbos may only be 300 but quality ones run a good amount of money for two. I'm just saying I would like to see more people running this kit and see how it really works rather than just a few. Wish it was more widespread and an in depth look was done by several people over time. Only stretch and a couple have this on.

I know shit happens but that doesn't mean I want it to happen to me. Not knocking the kit just want to see what is actually in need of replacing and if the stock parts are actually reliable over time. Want people that are experienced with it rather than hearsay.

stretchb

Established Member
ive vented my w/g to atmosphere and no leaky..
I don't see boost creep either. ive had my kit on and off 4 times now. everything is looking well.
I have experimented with diff turbos and the 60mm that comes with the kit seem to be the funnest to drive.
I am gonna give the 67s a try with a smaller exhaust housing next go around.

Users who are viewing this thread