Offshore Race Boats - School Me

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I don't mess with this stuff here, but this is big money shit. These things run wide open all day. I'm a Yamaha outboard guy now. My kid can blow up a pro built 350 in a heartbeat due to cooling. I wanna punch his head sometimes.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
For the boat in that ad, a **** ton... you WILL have stuff break, salt water (assuming here) will be a problem maintenance wise and is hard on components. If/when you ding a prop you're looking at thousands to repair. To put it into a perspective I can speak on, I have a 2021 Nautique G23 Paragon surf boat. Our second weekend out on it my cousin was driving (we can't surf and drive at the same time so we co-own it) and the lake was 3' low, hit some rocks and banged up the prop (or so we thought). I've had an inboard boat since 2007 and I know the lake, but this was just a strange thing. Anyway, after we got it limped back on the trailer we found the prop was in bad shape but repairable (about a $500 service after you pull it off the boat), but the prop shaft, strut, rudder were bent and the hull area around it was suspect. They ended up having the pull the engine out, reinforce the fiberglass area, and repair/replace those parts. It was about a $10k insurance bill for our second weekend on this boat (MSRP was about the same as the one in the link you posted). This shit gets expensive... that said, I don't regret it, our family spends a TON of time out on the lake enjoying it every year so to me it's worth it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
YOLO

artworks-mAAxFoqjIIQcqJzL-CGHDOQ-t500x500.jpg

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I know they're impractical and expensive, but how much so?

If I was going to run a 38-43' V-hull with inboard twins or triples for a poker run, what type of expenses am I looking at? What about a year's worth of poker runs?
Where in Florida are you located? I’m thinking East Coast.

I once owned a boat and from my experience, it would be cheaper to walk to the ocean every day and crumple up a $100 bill and just toss it in then to buy the type of boat you are looking at.

For me to get involved in a big money boat, we are talking about winning mega millions or Powerball lottery money not even the Florida lotto will cut it, but good luck and I hope you get and enjoy the **** out of it. Maybe you are a 1%er.

I can’t give you any better numbers than that as I’m not experienced in those type of vessels. Im just a little fish.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I recently briefly spoke to a boat rep, that was showing one of their center consoles, that was sporting quad 600's (for those that dont know, this is a trick V-12 that has become very popular). I asked him the GPH, which he didn't know, but did say that the MPG was something like .7, that was at ~50 knots, but the boat tops out at 70, so that MPG would drop significantly at WOT.

OX1

Established Member
I love the way you guys are thinking. I'm also realizing I should have included more detail in my OP. :LOL:

Talk to me about ownership costs of something like the boat in this ad.

When I was looking at 32-36 ft flybridge to kind of use as a cheap summer house, I found the best place to get an older boat is like NH or Maine. They are mostly out of the water 9-10 months a year, so less chance of hull water intrusion from sitting for years and years in the water, and hours are super low. Some of the sun beaten crap I saw (usually from Fl) was brutal.

Ideally you want one from near the great lakes (and there are plenty of boats like your looking at in that area), fresh water is your friend.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
When I was looking at 32-36 ft flybridge to kind of use as a cheap summer house, I found the best place to get an older boat is like NH or Maine. They are mostly out of the water 9-10 months a year, so less chance of hull water intrusion from sitting for years and years in the water, and hours are super low. Some of the sun beaten crap I saw (usually from Fl) was brutal.

Ideally you want one from near the great lakes (and there are plenty of boats like your looking at in that area), fresh water is your friend.
This is quite possibly the best most informative and smartest post in this thread. Srs.

_Snake_

Established Member
I knew those boats were expensive, but holy shit.

I wasn’t considering purchasing one, new or used, at any price. I don’t have that kind of money. I currently have a 25’ center console with twin 150’s and a 150 gallon tank so I already “appreciate” how expensive boats are. Until I win the lottery, that’s probably as big as I can go.

Bruno - west coast. I Iive 15-20 min north of the Bradenton drag strip

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, what is this thing considered?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Just out of curiosity, what is this thing considered?

Hydrofoils.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The upside of these boats is they usually come surrounded by lots of eye candy in bikinis. I love watching the haulover inlet videos. lol.

In fact, if I recall, some of those Haulover inlet videos, the guy will overlay fuel costs. Some of the big m'fers (not race boats but palaces on water) cost $20K to fill up. No detail on range. Just cost to fill up empty tank. I'm assuming some environmental elitist owns these big ass boats.

Edit: found the vid. Check out other videos for educational content. ;)

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Like anything it’s all on what you buy and want to do. Same as a racecar vs street car.

If you wanted to get into it in that size range (38-42) you can get something with mild power and a good bottom so it’s efficient. Preferably stick with stock Mercury power for reliability.

I’d always recommend twins over trips, really no need for trips with today’s HP/technology.

Here’s some experience I’ve been through.

We had a 344 cheetah with stock Mercury 525efi’s. Boat was a turn key run every day 90mph boat. Roughly 2’ish mpg maybe little better just cruising. Maintenance was oil, drive fluid, filters. A top end service around 250hours. Which was locks, springs, retainers, rocker arms. About a weekends job.
IMG_2842.png

Current one is another animal (similar to what that OL would require).
The 388 is a level up, should be in the high 1 teens mph when it’s dialed. Bought the boat used with fresh power 1000hp a side, same weekend after 5 hours of use it split a crank in half at 3000rpm. Yanked both motors, complete tear down and rebuild on both. Blocks and bare heads salvageable.
Got it back ran into electrical issues. This has caused years of mischief between blown intercooler, fouled plugs, broken pulley studs etc.

To sum it up, it’s a racecar on water, it requires a shit ton of attention, adjustment, and monitoring. Of course $$$.

It’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever experienced. A lot of work on my end, but aren’t all these hobbies.
IMG_2505.png
IMG_2514.jpeg
IMG_2523.jpeg

Cliffnotes:
-You can boat for much less cost if you’re fine with mild power and less paint/graphics.
-Price and maintenance goes up drastically with mph.

If anyone’s serious about looking into offshore boats please feel free to reach out. I don’t know it all but can surely help a novice in the offshore game.

Users who are viewing this thread