Offshore Race Boats - School Me

_Snake_

Established Member
I know they're impractical and expensive, but how much so?

If I was going to run a 38-43' V-hull with inboard twins or triples for a poker run, what type of expenses am I looking at? What about a year's worth of poker runs?

bird_dog0347

Established Member
No idea, but I'm gonna follow along for the answer as I'm sure it's a stupid number. I know a lot of people with yachts say to budget at least 10% of the cost of the boat per year for upkeep, maintenance, service but that doesn't include fuel and usage I think. Then there's the storage/mooring costs too. Hell, just for my 23' surf boat we go through about a tank of premium gas per weekend on it and it's got about a 65 gallon fuel tank.

_Snake_

Established Member
New? Used? Do you already have the Tow vehicle?
Operating and maintenance costs only. Let’s say hypothetically I had a new boat to use for a year.

How many kidneys do I need to harvest and sell on the black market to play for 12 months?

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Maintenance...HIGH

Fuel.....a LOT and HIGH

Insurance.....LUDICROUS.

Think about it this way. It technically is a racing boat without the team or the big backing from sponsors when things go BOOM the wrong way

this may shed more light

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

_Snake_

Established Member
Maintenance...HIGH

Fuel.....a LOT and HIGH

Insurance.....LUDICROUS.

Think about it this way. It technically is a racing boat without the team or the big backing from sponsors when things go BOOM the wrong way

this may shed more light

I’m looking for numbers brother. :cool:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
miami vice 80s GIF

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I know they're impractical and expensive, but how much so?

If I was going to run a 38-43' V-hull with inboard twins or triples for a poker run, what type of expenses am I looking at? What about a year's worth of poker runs?

Subd. There are fewer ways to incinerate a shit ton of capital. For this I love it.

I briefly looked at Donzis and thought the entry prices were reasonable. My guess is that you spend 1-2x what you pay for the boat in fuel and maintenance annually.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maintenance...HIGH

Fuel.....a LOT and HIGH

Insurance.....LUDICROUS.

this may shed more light

A very good video for the novice or the uninformed (like me).

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I've dived head first deeeeep down this rabbit hole. I could give you endless price numbers. Take this with a grain of salt, please......if you have to ask........ go fast boats are one of the most elitest things on earth.

Example
Mercury racing 1550 $200k each
Props around $4k each
Lower units mercury racing m8 $40k each

And so on.......im not trying to be a dream crusher. Believe me, this is the one hobby i truly love the most, but it is not for the faint-hearted.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've dived head first deeeeep down this rabbit hole. I could give you endless price numbers. Take this with a grain of salt, please......if you have to ask........ go fast boats are one of the most elitest things on earth.

Example
Mercury racing 1550 $200k each
Props around $4k each
Lower units mercury racing m8 $40k each

And so on.......im not trying to be a dream crusher. Believe me, this is the one hobby i truly love the most, but it is not for the faint-hearted.

Surface drives are the shit, but $$$.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Surface drives are the shit, but $$$.
Yes sir they are. True race parts. Lower units cannot compete with surface drives and rudder in todays world. The transom of the boat has to be built for them

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the way you guys are thinking. I'm also realizing I should have included more detail in my OP.

Talk to me about ownership costs of something like the boat in this ad.

The prices i gave are ownership costs. Especially when a motor lets go, you hit something in the water and damage a prop, or worse, rip off a lower unit. These are all things to take into consideration. A man once told me.."If you can buy two, you can afford to own one." You have to calculate all the "what if's" and with these high dollar boats it can make or break

_Snake_

Established Member
That went sideways more quickly than I expected. I'm not looking at buying something like the boat in the ad, FYI.

I'm also realizing very quickly why the more recent poker run pictures have so many boats with quad outboards vs the boats that were the topic of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread