Offshore Race Boats - School Me

blk02edge

Established Member
Like anything it’s all on what you buy and want to do. Same as a racecar vs street car.

If you wanted to get into it in that size range (38-42) you can get something with mild power and a good bottom so it’s efficient. Preferably stick with stock Mercury power for reliability.

I’d always recommend twins over trips, really no need for trips with today’s HP/technology.

Here’s some experience I’ve been through.

We had a 344 cheetah with stock Mercury 525efi’s. Boat was a turn key run every day 90mph boat. Roughly 2’ish mpg maybe little better just cruising. Maintenance was oil, drive fluid, filters. A top end service around 250hours. Which was locks, springs, retainers, rocker arms. About a weekends job. View attachment 1834401

Current one is another animal (similar to what that OL would require).
The 388 is a level up, should be in the high 1 teens mph when it’s dialed. Bought the boat used with fresh power 1000hp a side, same weekend after 5 hours of use it split a crank in half at 3000rpm. Yanked both motors, complete tear down and rebuild on both. Blocks and bare heads salvageable.
Got it back ran into electrical issues. This has caused years of mischief between blown intercooler, fouled plugs, broken pulley studs etc.

To sum it up, it’s a racecar on water, it requires a shit ton of attention, adjustment, and monitoring. Of course $$$.

It’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever experienced. A lot of work on my end, but aren’t all these hobbies.
View attachment 1834402View attachment 1834403View attachment 1834404

Cliffnotes:
-You can boat for much less cost if you’re fine with mild power and less paint/graphics.
-Price and maintenance goes up drastically with mph.

If anyone’s serious about looking into offshore boats please feel free to reach out. I don’t know it all but can surely help a novice in the offshore game.
I always thought the Hustler was the best looking hull.

Now I'm a small lake guy and would love a 27 Hallett but I'd have to quit cars first :D my old man still has his 25 Mirage but it just sits. He's old and crazy, you can tell him I said that (spectrasonly from Riverdaves place)

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Like anything it’s all on what you buy and want to do. Same as a racecar vs street car.

If you wanted to get into it in that size range (38-42) you can get something with mild power and a good bottom so it’s efficient. Preferably stick with stock Mercury power for reliability.

I’d always recommend twins over trips, really no need for trips with today’s HP/technology.

We had a 344 cheetah with stock Mercury 525efi’s. Boat was a turn key run every day 90mph boat. Roughly 2’ish mpg maybe little better just cruising. Maintenance was oil, drive fluid, filters. A top end service around 250hours. Which was locks, springs, retainers, rocker arms. About a weekends job. View attachment 1834401

The 388 is a level up, should be in the high 1 teens mph when it’s dialed. Bought the boat used with fresh power 1000hp a side, same weekend after 5 hours of use it split a crank in half at 3000rpm. Yanked both motors, complete tear down and rebuild on both. Blocks and bare heads salvageable.
Got it back ran into electrical issues. This has caused years of mischief between blown intercooler, fouled plugs, broken pulley studs etc.

To sum it up, it’s a racecar on water, it requires a shit ton of attention, adjustment, and monitoring. Of course $$$.

It’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever experienced. A lot of work on my end, but aren’t all these hobbies.

Cliffnotes:
-You can boat for much less cost if you’re fine with mild power and less paint/graphics.

If anyone’s serious about looking into offshore boats please feel free to reach out. I don’t know it all but can surely help a novice in the offshore game.
Surface drives?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Surface drives?
Yes sir. Arneson bravo conversion ASD-7’s. With Mercury 17.5x35-21* props.
IMG_8896.jpeg

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I always thought the Hustler was the best looking hull.

Now I'm a small lake guy and would love a 27 Hallett but I'd have to quit cars first :D my old man still has his 25 Mirage but it just sits. He's old and crazy, you can tell him I said that (spectrasonly from Riverdaves place)
We do love our Hustler’s. For small lakes I have a mint 03 266 Classic with a 525efi.

Hallett builds a quality product! I do like their boats. Your west coast boats have their own style.

I’ve ran into him a few times over there, I think you two had posted the same forest fire pics on the forums. I saw it here and RDP, was able to piece that together.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The upside of these boats is they usually come surrounded by lots of eye candy in bikinis. I love watching the haulover inlet videos. lol.

In fact, if I recall, some of those Haulover inlet videos, the guy will overlay fuel costs. Some of the big m'fers (not race boats but palaces on water) cost $20K to fill up. No detail on range. Just cost to fill up empty tank. I'm assuming some environmental elitist owns these big ass boats.

Edit: found the vid. Check out other videos for educational content. ;)

I have a business associate that has a boat on par with these. It is docked in Sydney Harbour. Not sure specs but it is a multi million $ boat. The week before I was on it a bunch of US congressman were down in AUS for some defense junket and chartered his boat.

I could have sworn that he told me that it cost 50k to fill it up. Mthat may be AUS$ though. But fuel consumption is extremely variable. If he runs it hard he will go through a tank in a week. If he takes it easy it lasts all summer long.

He has a guy that works for him that shows up every Monday to do maintenance and misc bullshit. It costs him 10s of k a month.

blk02edge

Established Member
I have a business associate that has a boat on par with these. It is docked in Sydney Harbour. Not sure specs but it is a multi million $ boat. The week before I was on it a bunch of US congressman were down in AUS for some defense junket and chartered his boat.

I could have sworn that he told me that it cost 50k to fill it up. Mthat may be AUS$ though. But fuel consumption is extremely variable. If he runs it hard he will go through a tank in a week. If he takes it easy it lasts all summer long.

He has a guy that works for him that shows up every Monday to do maintenance and misc bullshit. It costs him 10s of k a month.
50k for sure, especially AUS money, that's worth the same as Trudeau money

_Snake_

Established Member

Cliffnotes:

May I ask how much the insurance was/is on both of those hulls? Thanks for the post, btw. I think. I forgot about Hustler until you said something and have been on the webs ever since. :LOL:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
May I ask how much the insurance was/is on both of those hulls? Thanks for the post, btw. I think. I forgot about Hustler until you said something and have been on the webs ever since. :LOL:
The 388 is pushing $3,000 a year which is a “Good deal” in the high powered boat market.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wouldn't post it because my dad was looking at it at the time...but he's passed on it. This one is for sale. $399k or something. I think $365k buys it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread