NEW RELEASE - Coyote 160* Thermostat

Doug1227

Established Member
I got mine installed yesterday. I actually made an hour drive the day before I changed it and gathered some before data. On the Aeroforce gauge, with an ambient temp of 105 I was seeing coolant temps of 206 cruising at highway speeds. After the 160* thermostat and with ambient temps of 95 today, I was seeing coolant temps of 183-185 on the exact same drive. Granted there was a reduction in ambient temps, but I was still pretty pleased. My car has a KB supercharger and it dropped the air charge temps down a little bit as well. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Last edited:

REDNIGHTMARE

Established Member
I was told by the mustang mechanic at my local Ford dealership a few months back when I was looking into a 160 Tstat, that it would do way more harm than good, that a 170 is as low as I should go? He gave a more in depth explanation so that was long story short and I am at work lol

NickSezz

Established Member
I got mine installed yesterday. I actually made an hour drive the day before I changed it and gathered some before data. On the Aeroforce gauge, with an ambient temp of 105 I was seeing coolant temps of 206 cruising at highway speeds. After the 160* thermostat and with ambient temps of 95 today, I was seeing coolant temps of 183-185 on the exact same drive. Granted there was a reduction in ambient temps, but I was still pretty pleased. My car has a KB supercharger and it dropped the air charge temps down a little bit as well. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

So your saying a 10 degree difference in ambient showed an 11 degree difference in coolant temp between the stock and 160* T-stat?

That's an improvement of 1 degree.

Doug1227

Established Member
Are you suggesting that on a stock thermostat you see a 1 to 1 ratio between ambient and engine coolant temps? What a great place you must live. We're talking engine coolant temps, not air charge. To my knowledge, there may be some relationship between ambient temps and coolant temps, but it CERTAINLY isn't a 1 to 1 relationship. If so, when it drops to 50* outside, is my coolant temp going to be 140*? I think not.

So your saying a 10 degree difference in ambient showed an 11 degree difference in coolant temp between the stock and 160* T-stat?

That's an improvement of 1 degree.

Doug1227

Established Member
Now, with that ^ said, I must admit that over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that while idling sitting still, or when just loping the car around town with low rpm, I seem to be getting some steady temp creep. I've confirmed there's no air in the system. I'm seeing temps sitting still climb up to the 200's and as high as 210 when I decided to start driving again to get them to come back down. I've sent an email to my tuner to see what the fans are programmed to do as I suspect that might be the problem. I've also noticed that with RPM comes cooling, as if it's not getting enough flow or something. If anyone else is seeing this, please let me know. Not trying to poo-poo on the OP's post, just sharing my experiences.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
With our tunes, we always turn the fans on sooner and have seen no issues. These cars can still run hot but it will keep the * down 15-20 which is perfect. Thermostats are not a new invention and their are other brands out there too.

NickSezz

Established Member
Are you suggesting that on a stock thermostat you see a 1 to 1 ratio between ambient and engine coolant temps? What a great place you must live. We're talking engine coolant temps, not air charge. To my knowledge, there may be some relationship between ambient temps and coolant temps, but it CERTAINLY isn't a 1 to 1 relationship. If so, when it drops to 50* outside, is my coolant temp going to be 140*? I think not.

May be not 1:1 but the hotter it gets outside the less efficient the cooling system becomes since the water retains heat longer than air.

Example (best visual I could find off hand):
rx8_temp-coolant_5w30.gif

rx8_temp-coolant_5w20-5w30-20w50.gif

That said I would probably agree this may be helpful in climates that are always hotter than we are in NJ. AKA Florida : )

Last edited:

Doug1227

Established Member
My post wasn't meant as a dig at all... just sharing my experience so others can make sure their tune is right for the thermostat.

With our tunes, we always turn the fans on sooner and have seen no issues. These cars can still run hot but it will keep the * down 15-20 which is perfect. Thermostats are not a new invention and their are other brands out there too.

Doug1227

Established Member
Steve, my tuner said the fans are set to come at @ 40% at 160*, then ramp up to 100% by 185*. Any reason that wouldn't work correctly? I'm wondering if mine isn't opening all the way or something since it struggles at idle and seems to drop temps when I give it more rpm. I've also had the system vacuumed to ensure there was no air. I just can't have it going up up up when sitting still. It didn't do this with the stocker. Let me know if there's anything else I can try before I pull it back out. Thanks!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Steve, my tuner said the fans are set to come at @ 40% at 160*, then ramp up to 100% by 185*. Any reason that wouldn't work correctly? I'm wondering if mine isn't opening all the way or something since it struggles at idle and seems to drop temps when I give it more rpm. I've also had the system vacuumed to ensure there was no air. I just can't have it going up up up when sitting still. It didn't do this with the stocker. Let me know if there's anything else I can try before I pull it back out. Thanks!

shoot me a call. 561-417-5555

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
I am considering getting this Tstat along with a Mishimoto radiator to help keep my oil temps in check during road race events. I only do events 2-3 times per year and I'm still on the stock tune with no mods.

Is a tune a must if I do road race events but it is also my DD? Or should i just get the radiator and avoid the Tstat until i get it tuned (after my warranty is up)?

vortecd

Established Member
Same here and back to back runs on the dyno yields better power than letting it cool down.
I was thinking that being warmer the oil is thinner which would help if the crank is turning in oil........I dunno.
Dan

Mine runs better hot. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I can cool it down, make a pass, hot lap it and it always runs better. Best ET car has was right off the street.

I have tested this also. Let the car cool down, it will slow down. These engines are not the same as the older ones

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I am considering getting this Tstat along with a Mishimoto radiator to help keep my oil temps in check during road race events. I only do events 2-3 times per year and I'm still on the stock tune with no mods.

Is a tune a must if I do road race events but it is also my DD? Or should i just get the radiator and avoid the Tstat until i get it tuned (after my warranty is up)?

Avoid the tstat and get a boss radiator and boss oil cooler. Also run good oil and temps won't be and issue

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Buurrr 160... that is cold, so any spacial tuning needed for this?
me32, own boss stuff and it still runs hot... like 200+ hot...

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Buurrr 160... that is cold, so any spacial tuning needed for this?
me32, own boss stuff and it still runs hot... like 200+ hot...

They say the only tune changes are fans settings comming on earlier. The problem I see with low of tstat is for the daily drives. If the car is basically setup for racing this may help. But for the average guy I don't see a benefit. Mpg will be lower and takes longer for temps to get normal and longer for oil to get in its normal temp.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
They say the only tune changes are fans settings comming on earlier. The problem I see with low of tstat is for the daily drives. If the car is basically setup for racing this may help. But for the average guy I don't see a benefit. Mpg will be lower and takes longer for temps to get normal and longer for oil to get in its normal temp.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be any more mistaken on a thermostat change. You will NOT see lower mileage. It will NOT take longer to warm up nor will the oil take longer.

This thermostat has seen up to a 15* cooler temp while driving on the street and at the track. Thus keeping you under 200* ECT so you don't have to worry about pulling timing. My personal car averages from 185-195* and I drive 30miles a day plus track visits once a week.

Turning your fans on either is something we have done with tuning as the 3vs were just being cracked in the tuning world.

This has helped many of GT's, BOSS's, and even some newer GT500's. Pick one up and give it a shot and take some temps away from your coolant. A cooler thermostat has been something used for years and is not a new concept. Other companies sell then too and they work.

If you want any more information on this product, please feel free to PM, email or even call.

Thanks and have a good Christmas

Users who are viewing this thread