NEW RELEASE - Coyote 160* Thermostat

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I am considering getting this Tstat along with a Mishimoto radiator to help keep my oil temps in check during road race events. I only do events 2-3 times per year and I'm still on the stock tune with no mods.

Is a tune a must if I do road race events but it is also my DD? Or should i just get the radiator and avoid the Tstat until i get it tuned (after my warranty is up)?

You can add this to your car without a tune. Turning the fans on sooner is plus but I know many cars on stock files running this thermostat without any issues.

The radiator swap is a touchy subject. I know plenty of guys rocking a stock one who road course and it flows fine. Adding a better one like the Ford Racing, Afco, BeCool, ect will only increase the volume and allow longer flowing so it has time to cool down more. Same concept with heat exchangers. The Thermostat is a cheap mod that will drop a good 15* off your ECT's.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Buurrr 160... that is cold, so any spacial tuning needed for this?
me32, own boss stuff and it still runs hot... like 200+ hot...

It opens at 160*. It will not keep your motor at 160*. You will see about a 15* cooler coolant temps then what you see now. We usually see street cars average around 190-195 instead of 205-210

2012csgt

Established Member
It opens at 160*. It will not keep your motor at 160*. You will see about a 15* cooler coolant temps then what you see now. We usually see street cars average around 190-195 instead of 205-210

Agreed. I was skeptical too at first but after I put in the 160* my temps range between 188-193, which I believe is near perfect operating temps.

Doug1227

Established Member
I've got one of these in my garage not being used. For whatever reason, it made my car run warmer. If anyone wants it, let me know....1/2 price! LOL!

mechanicboy

Established Member
All I know for sure is that my coyote runs fastest when hot lapped. Maybe because the blower doesn't have any heat soak time, maybe because it runs best with hot cylinders so more of the heat is transfered into pressure onto the piston instead of being absorbed into the cooler combustion chambers.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Still don't understand the point. If the engine temp reaches the same level with each thermostat what is the logic to it opening up 20 degrees sooner?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
The point is to keep the car cooler longer. Keeping it 15-20* cooler will keep you in your power band longer.

Example: When we tune, we do not like them to go over 205* and set it to pull timing. Theirs just no reason to run it that hot.

I posted a lot of these answers before guys. Please feel free to call if you have any other questions.

it's just like the older years. Heat soak is not your friend. You will see a difference.

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member
I didn't notice too much of an overall ECT drop. But what I did see and really like is how much faster the ECT's dropped over the stock thermostat after a full pass or several street pulls.

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Great thermostat I've been running mine for 3 months no issues. Done lots of data logs on the street and at the track and seen temps average around 198° when making a pass on the street and at the track around 178° trying to keep things cool. From looking at the data logs the timing seems to be stable and flat through the run with engine coolant temps lowered.

draxxus131

Established Member
I only see this working on lets say the dragstrip. A very bad example but, my 240sx when i was building it, I had a NISMO thermostat upgrade, installed it and thought it was wonderful.

Then later on I come to find out that my engine is now running much hotter when traveling a medium-long distances. Which tells me majority of thermostat upgrades are snakeoil, previously I have installed these on many of my friends vehicles. All ranging from domestic to import, it wasn't until I installed mine on MY CAR, that it truly shows what it actually does. NOTHING

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I only see this working on lets say the dragstrip. A very bad example but, my 240sx when i was building it, I had a NISMO thermostat upgrade, installed it and thought it was wonderful.

Then later on I come to find out that my engine is now running much hotter when traveling a medium-long distances. Which tells me majority of thermostat upgrades are snakeoil, previously I have installed these on many of my friends vehicles. All ranging from domestic to import, it wasn't until I installed mine on MY CAR, that it truly shows what it actually does. NOTHING

I drove with it to Mustang Week which is a 800mile drive. Was logging it and at cruising, it never went over 190* and at a stop, right around 200. So thats a 15-20* cooler temp then a factory set up. In our tunes, we pull timing at 205*

Users who are viewing this thread