NEW RELEASE - Coyote 160* Thermostat

01bluesnake

Established Member
Done and done, thanks guys, can't wait to get it in the car. Anything i can help to bring down and stabilize the cooling system in these cars is a plus. What are your average CHT temps after installing the T stat? I would assume the operating temps of the car are still around the 180 range even with this. Thanks

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Done and done, thanks guys, can't wait to get it in the car. Anything i can help to bring down and stabilize the cooling system in these cars is a plus. What are your average CHT temps after installing the T stat? I would assume the operating temps of the car are still around the 180 range even with this. Thanks

Awesome!! We have seen 165-185 range. Honestly depends on the weather, and mostly what you are doing.

02reaper

Established Member
Are these the right thermostats for the housing, unlike the ones companies used to sell for the 4.6 modular engines that were the wrong ones?

scott_0

Established Member
Idk I just think 160 is way too cool, prolly have to get more in depth explanation from someone that writes tunes for these cars, Shawn from AED could prolly give some info........

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would talk to your tuners to make sure putting this cool of a Tstat does not need tune changes. with the GT500s when adding a 170 tstat needs a tune update

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i smell snake oil....in a NA application this is pointless. ive tested this in the past, no difference in power, or really in at speed coolant temps.

for FI cars, this may have some application, but ive never seen anyone go below 170.

a retune might be needed, as with all tunes the fans come on at 185-195*. you may run into a situation where the aux fans end up running non stop as the engine heats up and cools off to fast. 20* can be dropped from stop light to stop light.

IMHO use $34 for 92 octane.

bmyles

Established Member
I think it's a good idea, I am not sure on the 160 part tho its a little eairly. I thought the retune would be because the car never get to full warm up so it stays in open loop as well as fans of course.

01bluesnake

Established Member
A thermostat is not an upgrade for more power, but rather cooler and more stable engine temps under the hood. These cars use wideband's and really never go into a closed loop type system vs previous models. The cooler the cylinder temps from lower operating temps, the more timing the car will be able run without detonation within reason.

bmyles

Established Member
A thermostat is not an upgrade for more power, but rather cooler and more stable engine temps under the hood. These cars use wideband's and really never go into a closed loop type system vs previous models. The cooler the cylinder temps from lower operating temps, the more timing the car will be able run without detonation within reason.

Thanks, it's been a few years since I changed a thermostat as a mod lol

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hey everyone I recently purchased on my car is just bolt ons for now later on I will be adding a Paxton. I figured having cooling temp is also better. Is this pointless for me to have?

grnenvy

Established Member
A colder stat is a huge plus. Even know its a 160 doesn't mean your car will run 160 trust me the temp will still go up higher then that. Temp is a killer on any engine. Now if u live in cooler states the 170 might be perfect or it may take a long time to get heat from your heater. Here in Fl and any of the hot states your nuts if u don't run it.

Hopefully people don't start writing stupid shit about premature cylinder wear caused by low water temps.

Last edited:

JasinEdward

Established Member
I have a virtually stock 5.0, but I have noticed it seems sluggish when it's really hot here in Florida. On a cool morning the car feels like a completely different animal. Do you guys think this will help?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I have a virtually stock 5.0, but I have noticed it seems sluggish when it's really hot here in Florida. On a cool morning the car feels like a completely different animal. Do you guys think this will help?

Very much. Mine is basic bolt ons and I noticed a difference with how my car runs.

For everyone else, many tuners already turn the fans on sooner (I know we do) to help as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread