New GT500 Limited to 180 MPH

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It's all the fancy aerodynamic work that helps keep it planted. Downforce costs top end speed.
The aerodynamic forces increase exponentially with every mph...
Look at the 00 Cobra R vs a 03 Cobra's top speed... (electronic nannies off, otherwise stock) 175 and 180 respectively.

Sent from my Note9

Last edited:

snakecharmer

Established Member
I would not doubt it, for several reasons. One, Lawyers. Cars that go 200 MPH make them very very nervous because some nit-wit just might try to do it. Two, the number of places that you can actually get anywhere close to that kind of speed is very short. Most road courses can't support anywhere near that. And if you do it on a public highway, you are an idiot. Lastly, as noted above all that aero puts a big drag on it at speed. Even the ZR1 with the big wing can only do a bit over 190 flat out (212 with the small wing). My ZL1 is rated for 198, but it drops to mid 170s with the big wing 1LE package. And again what's the point? Places where you can (safely) do that kind of speed are very few and far between.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
what exactly is it that you are disappointed about?

For me personally I'm disappointed in
1.The looks of the S550 in general, it's a very effeminate design and the Fusion grill really hurts. And that bumper cover..but looks are subjective so...........
2. That it's taken 6 model years to come out and frankly it's not that impressive or groundbreaking.
3. There's been no pricing info released, no mention of a convertible, no mention of solid specs.

For all intents and purpose it's been anti-climatic. It might be as fast as a Hellcat Redeye, It might go around a track as fast as a ZL1, It'll probably cost as much as a Z06, and for the 1st year it'll probably be as much as a ZR1 or Carrera S or GTR.
I'd like to think I'm in this cars prime demographic, 44 y/o, muscle car fan, $200k+ household, Grown kids, etc. And I really want to be excited by this car but so far there isn't anything exceptional about this car as far as I'm concerned.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
2018 Zl1 1le are going for a lot less and with the 2019s getting the 10sp. The Gt500 boys better be on the lookout.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
For me personally I'm disappointed in
1.The looks of the S550 in general, it's a very effeminate design and the Fusion grill really hurts. And that bumper cover..but looks are subjective so...........
2. That it's taken 6 model years to come out and frankly it's not that impressive or groundbreaking.
3. There's been no pricing info released, no mention of a convertible, no mention of solid specs.

For all intents and purpose it's been anti-climatic. It might be as fast as a Hellcat Redeye, It might go around a track as fast as a ZL1, It'll probably cost as much as a Z06, and for the 1st year it'll probably be as much as a ZR1 or Carrera S or GTR.
I'd like to think I'm in this cars prime demographic, 44 y/o, muscle car fan, $200k+ household, Grown kids, etc. And I really want to be excited by this car but so far there isn't anything exceptional about this car as far as I'm concerned.
i agree with the first two items. That's why, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that I am not happy with Ford services and not excited about their new products. Hence, I can't see a situation in the future where I would buy a Ford. M4, RS_, Tesla or 2020 911 will likely be my next car.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Speed is only mattering if you plan to do the half mile/ mile events, correct? Even then most of those care are modded, IIRC.
The new GT500 will still be a ripper from 0-60 and quarter mile times/MPH.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
It might happen in this thread...

greedy-old-man-eating-popcorn-o.gif

lol

I'll wait to see if this thread needs a little more cholesterol later..

roadracer247

Established Member
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of complaining that happens any time anyone changes anything. Year after year. It's never good enough. Shame people can't appreciate what an extraordinary time it is to be a car nut. We’re at levels of performance (from the factory) I really doubt any of us truly thought we’d get to see...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My guess is that the driveshaft and half shaft suppliers couldnt deliver cost effective units that could safely and durably handle 200 mph.

Theres a LOT of force going through a CV axle in general, then add the fact it has to be able to hold itself together being rotated at an absurd speed AND to do it repeatedly.

Im sure there were plenty of suppliers that could build and deliver the units they needed, but not at the cost. My guess is that this is a bean counter related decision.

I think the 13-14 boys and girls just got one more feather in their cap.

Users who are viewing this thread